Career path for research in CS

In summary: You'll also want to take classes in statistics, machine learning, and programming languages (like Python, C++, Java, etc).
jd12345
What kind of career path should i follow if i want a job whihc involves devising new and better ways of using computers and addressing particular challenges in areas such as robotics, physics and other sciences. I will start my undergradute course in CSE this year. After that what will i have to do? For research in areas like physics, robotics, maybe chemistry or biology what courses will have to take afterwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really want to do research you should get your PhD. I would definitely recommend studying some mathematics if your intend to do research in CS as well.

There's probably millions of paths you could go down. In general I think it would be hard to pick exactly what you might like being so young. But at its core CS research is probably the same as most other fields. You don't really have to know exactly what you want to do when you start, but you should aim at doing actual research. You can get an idea of what research looks like from interacting with others. You'll learn that from professors running research groups, people giving talks about the work they're doing, journal papers, etc.

I think just starting as an undergrad you might see if there are any research groups you can be a part of at your school or talks on CS research that you could attend. That would be a good start. See what people are studying and researching and figure out if you might like to learn more about that area as well. If you find an area you like, try to read some papers in that area, see if there are problems you might want to look into further, then see if a prof might guide you in an independent study or some undergrad research.

Last edited:
If you want to do research in physics you need to get a physics degree, if you want to do research in biology you need to get a biology degree, etc.

Robotics is the only one of the areas that you mentioned that a CS degree might really aid you in persuing (you might also consider a EE degree).

The reason being is that to do research in a particular area of a science, the amount of that science you need to know is much greater than the amount of computer science you need to know to write the programs to perform that research. So if you want to do robotics, go CS and focus on computer vision, AI, etc or go EE and do the same with some DSP and control system classes as well. But if you want to do physics research, then I would go physics and then learn to program on your own/take a few CS classes as electives.

Other classes you would want to take are applied math type classes where you learn numerical techniques for solving math problems.

I can provide some guidance on the career path for research in computer science (CS). First and foremost, completing your undergraduate degree in computer science engineering (CSE) is a great starting point. This will provide you with a strong foundation in computer science principles and techniques.

After completing your undergraduate degree, you can consider pursuing a graduate degree in a specific area of interest such as robotics, physics, chemistry, or biology. This will give you the opportunity to delve deeper into these fields and gain specialized knowledge and skills.

In terms of courses to take, it would be beneficial to take courses in both computer science and the specific field you are interested in. For example, if you are interested in robotics, taking courses in robotics, artificial intelligence, and control systems would be valuable. Similarly, if you are interested in physics, taking courses in computational physics and simulation would be beneficial.

In addition to coursework, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in your field of interest can also be valuable for your career path in research. Networking and connecting with professionals in your desired field of research can also help you gain insights and opportunities for research positions.

It is also important to keep up with the latest developments and advancements in your field of interest by attending conferences, workshops, and seminars. This will not only help you stay updated but also provide opportunities for networking and collaboration with other researchers.

Overall, a strong combination of education, hands-on experience, and networking can help you build a successful career in research in CS, specifically in areas such as robotics, physics, chemistry, or biology. Good luck on your journey!

What is a career path for research in computer science?

A career path for research in computer science typically involves pursuing a higher education, such as a PhD, in a specific area of computer science. This is followed by conducting research, publishing papers, and potentially working in academia or industry as a researcher.

What skills are needed for a career in research in CS?

Some of the key skills needed for a career in research in computer science include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, the ability to work independently and collaboratively, and proficiency in programming languages and other technical skills.

What types of research can be done in CS?

There are various types of research that can be done in computer science, including theoretical research that focuses on developing new algorithms and models, applied research that aims to solve real-world problems, and interdisciplinary research that combines computer science with other fields, such as biology or psychology.

What career opportunities are available for CS researchers?

CS researchers can pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers, in industry as data scientists, software engineers, or researchers, or in government agencies as policy analysts or researchers. They may also have opportunities to work at research institutions or startups.

What is the typical salary for a research career in CS?

The salary for a research career in CS can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and level of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for computer and information research scientists was $126,830 in May 2020. However, salaries can range from around $80,000 to over $200,000 per year.