Finding magnitude of electric field of a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss's law for calculating the electric field equation for an infinite charged line in a cylinder. The attempt at a solution involves applying Gauss's law and using cylindrical symmetry to solve for the electric field. However, there are some errors in the calculations, such as missing the charge term and using incorrect equations. The correct approach is to start with Gauss's law and use the area of the Gaussian surface and the enclosed charge to solve for the electric field.
ecsx00

Homework Statement

LX8Sm.png

Homework Equations

E = 1/4([itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex]) * [itex]\frac{p}{r^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

E = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]r_{0}[/itex] [itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] = pl/[itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{pr}{2\pi r_{0} \epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

I am going by what I know about Gauss Law and using a similar format for the Electric field equation for a infinite charge line in a cylinder.

I fixed it little by little and I left off at:
E = [itex]\frac{r}{2 \epsilon_{0}}[/itex]
The hint it gives me is that i am missing p but putting p in the numerator or denominator will say it is not dependent on p.
I probably did something wrong in the process or used a wrong equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have written is gibberish. Is this a uniformly charged cylinder?

You have to start at Gauss's law:

[tex]\oint E \cdot dA = Q_\text{enc}/\epsilon_0[/tex]

And then invoke cylindrical symmetry to say that

[tex]|E|A = Q_\text{enc}/\epsilon_0[/tex]

What is the area [itex]A[/itex] of the Gaussian surface? What is the charge enclosed by this surface?

What is the formula for finding the magnitude of electric field of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the magnitude of electric field of a cylinder is E = λ/2πεr, where λ is the linear charge density, ε is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

How do you calculate the linear charge density of a cylinder?

The linear charge density of a cylinder can be calculated by dividing the total charge of the cylinder by its length. This can also be represented as λ = Q/L, where Q is the total charge and L is the length of the cylinder.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field magnitude?

The unit of measurement for electric field magnitude is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

What factors affect the magnitude of electric field in a cylinder?

The magnitude of electric field in a cylinder is affected by the linear charge density, the permittivity of free space, and the distance from the center of the cylinder. Additionally, the presence of other charges or conductors nearby can also affect the magnitude of electric field.

How can the magnitude of electric field be represented graphically?

The magnitude of electric field can be represented graphically by using field lines, which indicate the direction and strength of the electric field at different points around the cylinder. The closer the field lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field is at that point.