Linear Algebra: Span, Linear Independence Proof

In summary, by using induction and the fact that the zero vector is in the span of any set of vectors, it can be shown that v_1,v_2,v_3,...,v_n are linearly independent.
miglo

Homework Statement

Suppose v_1,v_2,v_3,...v_n are vectors such that v_1 does not equal the zero vector
and v_2 not in span{v_1}, v_3 not in span{v_1,v_2}, v_n not in span{v_1,v_2,...v_(n-1)}
show that v_1,v_2,v_3,...,V_n are linearly independent.

Homework Equations

linear independence, span

The Attempt at a Solution

he gave us a hint, which was to use induction
heres what i have so far
for the base case n=1
v_1 does not equal 0
so for cv_1=0, c must equal 0 making v_1 linearly independent
then assume v_n is linearly independent to show v_(n+1) is linearly independent
since v_n is linearly independent, then v_1,v_2,v_3,v_(n-1) are all linearly independent as well, my books states this as a remark to linear independence so i assume i can use it
and v_(n+1) not in span{v_1,...v_n}
therefore c_1v_1+c_2v_2+...+c_nv_n+c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=0 if either
c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=-c_1v_1-c_2v_2-...-c_nv_n
or c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=0
the former isn't true since its not in the span of all the vectors before it so then the latter must hold true

this is where i started doubting myself because then i would have to show that v_(n+1) is not zero and I am unsure on how to do that, also I am a beginner with proofs so I am not even sure if I am doing this correctly using induction

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
miglo said:

Homework Statement

Suppose v_1,v_2,v_3,...v_n are vectors such that v_1 does not equal the zero vector
and v_2 not in span{v_1}, v_3 not in span{v_1,v_2}, v_n not in span{v_1,v_2,...v_(n-1)}
show that v_1,v_2,v_3,...,V_n are linearly independent.

Homework Equations

linear independence, span

The Attempt at a Solution

he gave us a hint, which was to use induction
heres what i have so far
for the base case n=1
v_1 does not equal 0
so for cv_1=0, c must equal 0 making v_1 linearly independent
then assume v_n is linearly independent to show v_(n+1) is linearly independent
since v_n is linearly independent, then v_1,v_2,v_3,v_(n-1) are all linearly independent as well, my books states this as a remark to linear independence so i assume i can use it
and v_(n+1) not in span{v_1,...v_n}
therefore c_1v_1+c_2v_2+...+c_nv_n+c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=0 if either
c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=-c_1v_1-c_2v_2-...-c_nv_n
or c_(n+1)v_(n+1)=0
the former isn't true since its not in the span of all the vectors before it so then the latter must hold true

this is where i started doubting myself because then i would have to show that v_(n+1) is not zero and I am unsure on how to do that, also I am a beginner with proofs so I am not even sure if I am doing this correctly using induction

thanks in advance

You are really close. You can say v_(n+1) is not the zero vector. The zero vector is in the span of any set of vectors. Try and restate your argument knowing that.

Last edited:
so can i just say since the zero vector is in the span of any set of vectors and v_(n+1) is not in the span of all the vectors before it then v_(n+1) is not the zero vector??
if that's correct then c_(n+1) must equal zero thus showing that all the vectors are linearly independent

miglo said:
so can i just say since the zero vector is in the span of any set of vectors and v_(n+1) is not in the span of all the vectors before it then v_(n+1) is not the zero vector??
if that's correct then c_(n+1) must equal zero thus showing that all the vectors are linearly independent

Yes, that's pretty much it. If c_(n+1) is nonzero then v_(n+1) is in the span, contradiction. If c_(n+1) is zero then it shows they are linearly independent. Well done. You are better at proofs than you thought.

cool thanks!

1. What is the definition of span in linear algebra?

The span of a set of vectors in linear algebra is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be created by multiplying each vector by a scalar and adding them together.

2. How do you prove linear independence in linear algebra?

To prove linear independence, you must show that no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and showing that the only solution is when all the coefficients are equal to zero.

3. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors that are not related to each other in a linear way, meaning none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. Linear dependence, on the other hand, refers to a set of vectors that are related to each other in a linear way, meaning one or more of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others.

4. Can a set of vectors in a higher dimension be linearly independent?

Yes, a set of vectors in a higher dimension can still be linearly independent. The concept of linear independence applies to all dimensions, not just two or three dimensions. However, as the dimension increases, it becomes harder to visualize and prove linear independence.

5. How is linear algebra used in real life applications?

Linear algebra is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of equations, model real-world situations, and make predictions based on data. Some specific applications include image and signal processing, financial analysis, and machine learning algorithms.