Good movie clips for teaching concepts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superhero movies to teach physics concepts, particularly focusing on energy and power. Examples from various movies are given, such as Spider-Man, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and The Incredibles. The idea of using visuals and engaging clips to make the subject more interesting for students is emphasized. Suggestions for specific scenes to use are also given, such as Iron Man powering up his suit and The Flash running on water. Overall, it is suggested that any superhero movie or show can be used to effectively teach physics concepts with the right approach.
superdave
So I love the Physics of Superheroes, I use it a lot when I teach. Today I did a lesson on work and energy using scenes from Spider-Man (climbing the wall for Work - > Gravitational PE, swinging from the top of the building for Gravitational PE -> KE) and Spider-Man 2 (stopping the train for KE -> Elastic PE). The students loved it. Even though it's the exact same situations we talk about in problems, just having that 2-3 minute clip of a movie they liked made them more interested.

Anyone have good ideas about clips to use for teaching key concepts?

I'm looking to do more Energy and include Power, but I'd love to start a thread for all suggestions.

Science news on Phys.org
Ewoks in the Battle for Endor StarWars VI use a variety of simple machines like the swinging log to take out the Empire's Walkers.

Lord ofthe Rings 3 final battle uses catapults to launch massive blocks at the enemy.

Robert Mueller in his online Physics for Future Presidents uses the From RAM commercial where the meteorite hits the truck and it survives.

That's such a cool idea! Using superhero movies to teach physics definitely makes it more engaging for students. I can see how the visuals and action scenes would really help them understand the concepts better.

For teaching energy and power, you could use the scene from Iron Man where he powers up his suit and flies off. That could be a good example of converting energy into power. And for potential energy, maybe the scene from Ant-Man where he shrinks down and jumps onto a flying ant could work.

For power, the scene from The Flash TV show where he runs on water could be a good example. It shows how his speed and power allow him to do seemingly impossible things.

I also remember a scene from The Incredibles where Mr. Incredible lifts a train off the tracks - that could be used to demonstrate work and energy.

Overall, I think any superhero movie or show has potential for teaching physics concepts. It's just a matter of finding the right scenes and connecting them to the concepts you want to teach. Good luck with your lesson plans!

What makes a movie clip suitable for teaching concepts?

A good movie clip for teaching concepts should be relevant to the topic being taught and should effectively illustrate the concept in a clear and engaging manner. It should also be age-appropriate and well-paced to hold students' attention.

How do I find good movie clips for teaching concepts?

There are several ways to find good movie clips for teaching concepts. You can search for educational videos on online platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo, or look for clips in educational films and documentaries. You can also consult with other educators or use educational databases and resources.

Can I legally use movie clips for teaching concepts?

It depends on the copyright laws in your country. In some cases, using movie clips for educational purposes may fall under fair use or educational exceptions. However, it's always best to obtain permission from the copyright holder before using any movie clip in your teaching.

How long should a movie clip be for teaching concepts?

The length of a movie clip for teaching concepts will depend on the topic and the attention span of your students. Generally, it's recommended to keep the clip between 3 to 5 minutes to ensure students stay engaged and focused on the concept being taught.

Are there any guidelines for using movie clips in teaching?

Yes, there are some guidelines you can follow when using movie clips for teaching concepts. Make sure the clip is relevant to the topic, preview it beforehand to ensure it's appropriate for your students, and provide context and a clear learning objective before showing the clip. It's also important to debrief and discuss the clip with students afterwards to reinforce the concept and encourage critical thinking.