Complex Integration Function with multiple poles at origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of 1/x^N*exp(ix) from -inf to inf, with the possibility of using Cauchy's integral formula. The attempt at a solution involves defining a contour and evaluating its components, leading to the conclusion that the integral may not converge. The conversation ends with one person successfully solving the problem by using integration by parts and expressing the integral in terms of previous integrals until reaching a simple form that can be easily evaluated.
VVS
Hello,

I hope somebody can help me with this one.

Homework Statement

I want to find the integral of 1/x^N*exp(ix) from -inf to inf.

Homework Equations

It is very likely that this can somehow be solved by using Cauchy's integral formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate it by defining a countour as follows:
1. From -R to -r
2. semicircle from -r to +r around the origin from below
3. from r to R
4. Semicircle from +R to -R around the origin from above.

I can show that 4 tends to 0 as R tends to infinity
But I can't somehow evaluate 2:
I get 1/(r*exp(i*theta)^N*exp(i*r*exp(i*theta))r*exp(i*theta)d(theta)
Nothing cancels as nicely as in the case of a simple pole.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry i didnt solve it

Last edited:
VVS said:
Hello,

I hope somebody can help me with this one.

Homework Statement

I want to find the integral of 1/x^N*exp(ix) from -inf to inf.

Homework Equations

It is very likely that this can somehow be solved by using Cauchy's integral formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate it by defining a countour as follows:
1. From -R to -r
2. semicircle from -r to +r around the origin from below
3. from r to R
4. Semicircle from +R to -R around the origin from above.

I can show that 4 tends to 0 as R tends to infinity
But I can't somehow evaluate 2:
I get 1/(r*exp(i*theta)^N*exp(i*r*exp(i*theta))r*exp(i*theta)d(theta)
Nothing cancels as nicely as in the case of a simple pole.

Thank you

The integral may not converge. Since you have an improper integral, it needs to be *defined*, typically in terms of some limiting operations such as
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ix}}{x^N} \, dx = \lim_{L,U \to \infty,\: a,b \to 0+}
\left[ \int_{-L}^{-a} \frac{e^{ix}}{x^N} \, dx
+ \int_{b}^{U} \frac{e^{ix}}{x^N} \, dx \right].[/tex] Does this limit exist in your case?

Hey,
Thanks for your help but I had solved the problem now before your answer.
I called In=1/x^n*exp(ix). And I used integration by parts. I chose 1/x^n as the function to be integrated and exp(ix) as the function to be differentiated. That means that I get something proportiional to 1/x^(n-1)exp(ix) which is In-1. So I keep expressing In in terms of In-1, In-2 and so forth till I get to 1/x*exp(ix) which is easily integrated to Pi*i. All other terms vanish because they are of the from 1/x^N-n and the limits are +inf and-inf.
Thank you again for your help

VVS said:
Hey,
Thanks for your help but I had solved the problem now before your answer.
I called In=1/x^n*exp(ix). And I used integration by parts. I chose 1/x^n as the function to be integrated and exp(ix) as the function to be differentiated. That means that I get something proportiional to 1/x^(n-1)exp(ix) which is In-1. So I keep expressing In in terms of In-1, In-2 and so forth till I get to 1/x*exp(ix) which is easily integrated to Pi*i. All other terms vanish because they are of the from 1/x^N-n and the limits are +inf and-inf.
Thank you again for your help

I tried to warn you but you refused to listen.

Hey, The integrals converge with those limits. So I did listen to you.

VVS said:
Hey, The integrals converge with those limits. So I did listen to you.

All you did was to perform a sequence of illegal operations to obtain a wrong answer. I will say it only one more time: you need to look at limits when dealing with improper integrals.

1. What is a complex integration function with multiple poles at the origin?

A complex integration function with multiple poles at the origin is a mathematical function that involves integrating a complex-valued function over a closed contour in the complex plane, where the function has multiple singularities (poles) located at the origin. These poles can greatly influence the behavior and convergence of the integral.

2. How do you evaluate a complex integration function with multiple poles at the origin?

The evaluation of a complex integration function with multiple poles at the origin involves using techniques such as Cauchy's residue theorem and the method of contour deformation. These methods allow for the calculation of the integral by considering the residues (coefficients) at each pole and summing them together.

3. What are some common examples of complex integration functions with multiple poles at the origin?

Some common examples of complex integration functions with multiple poles at the origin include the logarithmic function, the exponential function, and rational functions with multiple poles at the origin. These functions often arise in various areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and differential equations.

4. How do the poles at the origin affect the behavior of the complex integration function?

The poles at the origin can greatly affect the behavior of a complex integration function. If the poles are simple (order 1), the function may have a finite value at the origin and can be evaluated using Cauchy's residue theorem. However, if the poles have a higher order, the function may have a singularity at the origin and the evaluation may require more advanced techniques such as contour deformation.

5. What are some applications of complex integration functions with multiple poles at the origin?

Complex integration functions with multiple poles at the origin have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the evaluation of definite integrals, the solution of differential equations, and the calculation of complex-valued quantities such as electric fields and fluid flows. They are also essential in the study of complex analysis and its applications in other fields.