Proof for Closure of Vector Addition - Can You Help?

In summary, The conversation discusses the closure of vector addition in the context of a true vector space being the sum of two vectors as a directional derivative operator along a path passing through p. The textbook's proof, which involves applying the sum of two vectors to the product of two scalar functions, is deemed unconvincing by the person asking the question. They are seeking either a justification of the proof or an alternative proof for the closure of vector addition. One suggestion is to start with a vector field and prove that vector fields form a vector space, then show the closure of vector addition follows. It is also recommended to learn from a proper book on the subject, such as "Topology and Geometry" by Bredon.
dEdt
If the tangent space at p is a true vector space, then it must be that the sum of two vectors is itself a directional derivative operator along some path passing through p. I've been trying to prove that this is true without any luck.

My textbook "proves" that vector addition is closed by showing that when the sum of two vectors is applied to the product of two scalar functions, we just get the Leibniz rule. This argument seems really unconvincing to me.

Can anyone either justify the validity of my text's proof, or offer their own proof for the closure of vector addition?

Physics news on Phys.org
dEdt said:
If the tangent space at p is a true vector space, then it must be that the sum of two vectors is itself a directional derivative operator along some path passing through p. I've been trying to prove that this is true without any luck.

My textbook "proves" that vector addition is closed by showing that when the sum of two vectors is applied to the product of two scalar functions, we just get the Leibniz rule. This argument seems really unconvincing to me.

Can anyone either justify the validity of my text's proof, or offer their own proof for the closure of vector addition?

In the book by John Baez and Javier Muniain, "Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity", the authors say that the easiest way to go about it is to start with a vector field, which assigns a vector to each point in spacetime. You can easily(?) prove that vector fields form a vector space, and then (maybe?) the fact for vectors follows.

What book are you learning from? The proof you're asking for will be in every textbook on differential topology. If you're learning differential topology from a physics book then my best advice would be to do yourself a favor and learn it from a proper book on the subject. See, for example, section II.5 of "Topology and Geometry"-Bredon (bear in mind this book defines smooth manifolds by using sheafs but it's equivalent to the usual definition in terms of smoothly compatible charts).

1. What is closure of vector addition?

Closure of vector addition is a mathematical property that states that when two vectors are added together, the resulting vector must also be in the same space as the original vectors. In other words, the sum of two vectors must always be another vector.

2. How do you prove closure of vector addition?

The most common method of proving closure of vector addition is by using the component form of vectors. This involves breaking down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components, adding these components separately, and then combining them back to get the resulting vector. If the resulting vector also has horizontal and vertical components, then closure of vector addition is proven.

3. Why is closure of vector addition important?

Closure of vector addition is an important concept in mathematics and physics because it allows us to treat vectors as objects that can be added and subtracted, just like regular numbers. It also ensures that the laws of vector addition hold true, making it possible to accurately predict and analyze physical phenomena.

4. Can you give an example of closure of vector addition?

One example of closure of vector addition is adding two velocity vectors. If a car is moving north at 50 km/h and then turns and moves east at 30 km/h, the resulting velocity vector would be 50 km/h north and 30 km/h east. This is still a velocity vector and shows closure of vector addition.

5. Are there any exceptions to closure of vector addition?

Yes, there are some cases where closure of vector addition does not hold true. One example is when vectors are added in a non-Euclidean space, such as on the surface of a sphere. In this case, the resulting vector may not be in the same space as the original vectors. However, in most common applications, closure of vector addition is a valid concept.