Searching for Non-Corrosive Material Against Water & Oxygen

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a material or treatment that is 100 percent non-corrosive against water and oxygen or nitrogen. The speaker works for a Gas Analytical company and is looking for a material to use in their permeability testing. They suggest using Polyethylene or Aluminum.
Cadman5150
Hello gentlemen -

New to the forum here! ... I have what I hope is an easy question for my Materials & Chemical buds.
Is there any material that is 100 percent non-corrosive against water and oxygen (sometimes nitrogen)? ... I work for a Gas Analytical company, whereas we test the permeability for different materials.
To do so, we run a mixture of water and oxygen (or nitrogen) through these units.

Not sure if I'm really explaining this well enough.
I'm basically looking for a material that will be non-corrosive, or a "treatment" that would satisfy the objective.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Maybe Polyethylene. PE powder coated.
You give chemical properties, but what physical characteristics must the material have?

Thanks Baluncore - the material would most likely be Aluminum (6061 or sim.)

What is corrosion and why is it a problem?

Corrosion is the process of materials deteriorating due to chemical reactions with their environment, particularly with water and oxygen. It can cause structural damage, decrease functionality, and increase maintenance costs.

What materials are known to be non-corrosive against water and oxygen?

Some common non-corrosive materials include stainless steel, aluminum, and PVC. However, there are many other materials that have been developed specifically to resist corrosion, such as titanium, Teflon, and ceramic coatings.

How do scientists test for corrosion resistance?

There are several methods for testing corrosion resistance, including salt spray testing, electrochemical testing, and immersion testing. These tests simulate the effects of exposure to water and oxygen over time and can help determine the most suitable materials for a specific application.

What factors influence the corrosion resistance of materials?

The chemical composition, microstructure, and surface treatment of materials can all impact their resistance to corrosion. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to pollutants can also play a role.

Are there any drawbacks to using non-corrosive materials?

While non-corrosive materials can offer many benefits, they may also have some drawbacks such as higher cost, heavier weight, or lower strength compared to traditional materials. It is important to consider all factors when selecting a material for a specific application.