Exploring Voltage: Electric Potential & Power

In summary, voltage is the electric potential difference, which is the potential energy difference per charge. It can also be defined as the energy per charge, which equals energy per time divided by charge per time, or as the electric force "dot" displacement per charge. The unit of voltage is the volt, V, which is equal to the joule per coulomb, J/C. Kirchhoff's second rule states that the sum of potential differences around any loop is zero. In AC circuits, the root mean square voltage, V_{rms}, is used to represent the "official" voltage and may be out of phase with current by a phase difference, \phi. AC power, P, refers to the true power that transfers net energy
Definition/Summary

Voltage is electric potential difference, which is potential energy difference per charge: [itex]V\ =\ U/q[/itex]

Energy per charge equals energy per time divided by charge per time, which is power divided by current (watts per amp): [itex]V\ =\ U/q\ =\ P/I[/itex]

Since potential energy is just another name for work done (by a conservative force), voltage is also electric force "dot" displacement per charge, ie electric field "dot" displacement:[itex]V\ =\ \int{E}\cdot d{x}[/itex]

The unit of voltage is the volt, [itex]V[/itex], also equal to the joule per coulomb, [itex]J/C[/itex].

Equations

Equations for DC and instantaneous equations for AC:

[tex]V\ =\ IR[/tex]

[tex]V\ =\ P/I\ =\ \sqrt{PR}[/tex]

[tex]P\ =\ V^2/R\ =\ I^2R\ =\ VI[/tex]

Average equations for AC:

[tex]P_{average}\ =\ V_{rms}^2/R[/tex]

[tex]P_{average}\ =\ V_{rms}I_{rms}cos\phi[/tex]

[tex]P_{apparent} \ =\ V_{rms}I_{rms} \ =\ |P_{complex}|\ =\ \sqrt{P_{average}^2 + Q_{average}^2}[/tex]

[tex]P_{average}\ =\ V_{rms}^2\cos\phi/|Z|[/tex]

[tex]V_{average}\ =\ (2\sqrt{2}/\pi)V_{rms}\ =\ (2/\pi)V_{peak}[/tex]

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the phase difference between voltage and current, Z is the (complex) impedance, [itex]Q[/itex] is the reactive or imaginary power (involving no net transfer of energy), and [itex]V_{rms}\text{ and }I_{rms}[/itex] are the root-mean-square voltage and current, [itex]V_{peak}/\sqrt{2}\text{ and }I_{peak}/\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Extended explanation

Two ways of defining voltage:

voltage = energy/charge = work/charge = force"dot"distance/charge = (from the Lorentz force) electric field"dot"distance, or dV = E.dr

but also voltage = energy/charge = (energy/time)/(charge/time) = power/current, or V = P/I

Volt:

The volt is defined as the potential difference across a conductor when a current of one amp dissipates one watt of power.

Kirchhoff's second rule: (syn. Kirchhoff's Law, KVL)

The sum of potential differences around any loop is zero.

So potential difference is "additive" for components in series: the total potential difference is the sum of the individual potential differences.

Across a DC or AC resistance, [itex]V\ =\ IR[/itex]. Across an AC capacitor or inductor, [itex]V\ =\ IX[/itex], where [itex]X[/itex] is the reactance.

For a general AC load, [itex]V_{rms}\ =\ I_{rms}|Z|[/itex], where the complex number [itex]Z\ =\ R+jX[/itex] is the impedance (purely real for a resistance and purely imaginary for a capacitor or inductor). If phase is important, we use [itex]V\ =\ IZ[/itex], where [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]I[/itex] are complex numbers also.

Alternating current (AC):

The "official" voltage delivered by electricity generators and marked on electrical equipment (such as 240V or 100V) is the root mean square voltage, [itex]V_{rms}[/itex], which is the peak voltage (amplitude) divided by √2.

Voltage may be out of phase with current, by a phase difference (phase angle), [itex]\phi[/itex].

Instantaneous power equals instantaneous voltage times instantaneous current: [itex]P\ =\ VI[/itex], but average power is [itex]V_{rms}I_{rms}\cos\phi[/itex], or the apparent power times the phase factor.

AC power:

AC power, [itex]P[/itex], usually means the power (true power, or real power) which transfers net energy (does net work), as opposed to the reactive power (imaginary power), [itex]Q[/itex], which transfers no net energy.

Complex power is [itex]S\ =\ P\ +\ jQ[/itex].

Electromotive force (emf):

Electromotive force has different meanings for different authors (and is not a force anyway): see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force#Terminology. Sometimes it means voltage. :wink:

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the explanation! I found it really helpful in understanding the concept of voltage.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is often described as the "push" or "force" that moves electrons through a circuit.

2. How is voltage related to electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electrical circuit. Voltage is a measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in the circuit.

3. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is usually expressed in units of volts (V).

4. What is the difference between voltage and power?

Voltage and power are related but different concepts. Voltage is a measure of electric potential, while power is a measure of the rate at which energy is being transferred or used. In an electrical circuit, voltage is used to calculate power using the equation P = IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage.

5. How does changing voltage affect an electrical circuit?

Changing the voltage in an electrical circuit can affect the flow of current and the amount of power being transferred. Increasing the voltage can increase the current and power, while decreasing the voltage can decrease the current and power. It is important to use the correct voltage for a particular circuit to avoid damaging components or causing safety hazards.