Practical experience of minimum tension possible of a membrane

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum biaxial tension per unit length, in N/m, for a specific membrane in order for it to remain vertical and maintain intact mode shapes when exposed to incoming acoustic energy. It also mentions the requirement for the membrane to remain stretched when a small central mass is attached. The conversation also mentions a realistic value of 486.4 N/m from a paper and asks if it can go as low as 2 N/m. Alternative values for the membrane's material, density, thickness, and original tension are also provided. The main question is how low the tension of the membrane can go before it no longer behaves as a stretched membrane and can no longer vibrate predictably.
pitchtwit
I need to know a realistic minimum biaxial tension per unit length - in N/m - for the surface of a membrane which is 27.4 mm square - with surface density 0.0912 kg/m^2 - so that it could be vertical and remain tense so that mode shapes due incoming acoustic energy would remain intact (if the membrane goes too limp, the mode shapes will become distorted).

Also, the membrane must be able to remain stretched when a small central mass of 1 g is attached.

A realistic value from a paper I'm following uses 486.4 N/m, and I'd like to know if it can go as low as 2 N/m.

Basically at what tension will it become unacceptably limp?

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Hi,

Well alternative values could be: -
Material: Polytherimide film
Density - 1200 kg/m^3
Young's Modulus, E = 3.6 GPa
Poisson's ratio, nu = 0.34
Membrane thickness = 0.076 mm
Original tension = 5.7 GPa
Circular membrane radius = 12 mm
Central mass weight = 1 g
Central mass radius = 2 mm

I'd just like to know approximately how low the tension of the membrane could go - taking into account gravity and the attached mass - before it would no longer act as a stretched membrane (i.e. vibrate in a predictable manner with modes of vibration, etc.).

A VERY rough idea would be fine.

Thanks

What is the practical application of minimum tension possible of a membrane?

The practical application of minimum tension possible of a membrane is in the design and construction of structures such as roofs, bridges, and inflatable structures. By understanding the minimum tension that a membrane can withstand, engineers can ensure the safety and stability of these structures.

How is the minimum tension of a membrane determined?

The minimum tension of a membrane is determined through various tests and calculations that take into account the material properties, environmental conditions, and load factors. These tests may include tension tests, stress analyses, and computer simulations.

What factors can affect the minimum tension of a membrane?

Several factors can affect the minimum tension of a membrane, including the type of material used, the shape and size of the membrane, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the amount and direction of external forces applied to the membrane.

How does the minimum tension of a membrane impact its durability?

The minimum tension of a membrane is directly related to its durability. If a membrane is subjected to tension beyond its minimum threshold, it can lead to permanent deformation or even failure. Therefore, understanding and designing for the minimum tension is crucial for ensuring the longevity of the membrane.

Can the minimum tension of a membrane be reduced?

Yes, the minimum tension of a membrane can be reduced through various methods such as altering the material properties, changing the shape or size of the membrane, and providing additional support or reinforcement. However, these modifications must be carefully considered to maintain the stability and safety of the structure.