Which courses should I take again to prepare for graduate school?

In summary: But, I need to brush up on some math skills. I would recommend taking a statistics course and a course in computer programming.
Alligator
I'm planning on entering graduate school to obtain a PhD in elementary particle physics. I graduated in 1996 with a physics major. I have NOT worked in this field since that time - I now have a J.D. instead.

I need to refresh my math and physics skills to take the GRE. I would imagine a year or two of courses before I'm ready to take it. I need to know what people would recommend to brush up on skills. Obviously, I do not want to start with Classical Physics I all over again.

Here's what my undergrad experience consisted of:

Classical Physics (I, II, and III plus labs)
Applied Math for Physics and Engineers
Quantum Mechanics
Electronics & Instrumentation (plus lab)
Experimental Modern Physics
Electromagnetic Fields
Classical Dynamics
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations

and others I can't recall now.

I've never had a thermodynamics course, and I need to brush up on math skills, so those are areas I will probably focus on again. What else can people recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Real & Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Statistics, Probability, Computer Programming Langauge (C/C++, Fortran), Discrete Math, Topology, Abstract Algebra, Partial Diff EQ

Heck what's the point of going to grad school if you don't plan on making a difference, right? Might as well take more math courses in Differential Geometry and Nonlinear Dynamics

To prepare for grad school, it will be nice to learn some complex analysis, abstract algebra (group and representation) and differential geometry (tensor calculus and differential forms) in particular if you want to do theoretical elementary particle physics. Numerical analysis is needed for simulation work; at the very least you may need to write a code using the Runge-Kutta methods.

You will need some training in statistics to do experimental high energy physics. Programming (C/C++, Matlab, Mathematica) is very important too. Labview is pretty useful if you want to do experimental work. LaTeX is handy for typesetting articles and notes.

For the physics GRE, what you have learned as an undergraduate is sort of enough. However, a substantial part of the exam tests topics like statistical mechanics/thermodynamics and solid state physics. Not knowing these topics means that you probably can't answer around 10-15 percent of the questions.

alligator...your the lawyer dude who posted about deciding on phd right? if so ...coo hope you enjoy your endeavours into physics.

Yep, I'm the "lawyer dude". I'm considering about two years on the third and fourth year classes again as a refresher. That way I have most of my foundation intact.

1. Which courses should I prioritize retaking for graduate school?

The courses you should prioritize retaking for graduate school will depend on your specific field of study and the requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. It is important to research the curriculum of the graduate program and identify any prerequisites or recommended courses. Additionally, you may want to consider retaking courses in your major or related fields that you did not excel in or that are particularly relevant to your intended area of study.

2. Should I retake courses that I did well in for graduate school?

In most cases, it is not necessary to retake courses that you did well in for graduate school. Admissions committees will be more interested in seeing that you have taken challenging courses in your major and have performed well in them. However, if you feel that you did not fully grasp the material in a course that is important for your intended graduate program, retaking the course may be beneficial.

3. Can I retake courses at a different institution for graduate school preparation?

Yes, you can retake courses at a different institution for graduate school preparation. However, it is important to check with the graduate program you are applying to and make sure they will accept credits from the institution where you plan to retake the course. Some graduate programs may have restrictions on transfer credits.

4. Is it better to retake courses for a higher grade or take new, more advanced courses for graduate school preparation?

This will depend on your individual circumstances and the requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. If your undergraduate grades are a concern, it may be beneficial to retake courses for a higher grade. However, if you are looking to strengthen your knowledge and skills in a specific area, taking new, more advanced courses may be a better option. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and consult with an academic advisor.

5. How many courses should I retake for graduate school preparation?

The number of courses you should retake for graduate school preparation will vary depending on your individual needs and the requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. It is important to focus on taking courses that will strengthen your academic background and prepare you for the specific demands of your intended graduate program. Taking on too many courses may also be overwhelming and affect your overall performance. It is recommended to discuss this with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action.