How Do Forces Affect Tension and Compression in a Roof Truss?

In summary, forces play a critical role in determining the tension and compression within a roof truss. Tension forces pull on the top chord of the truss, causing it to elongate and creating a downward force on the bottom chord. This results in compression forces in the bottom chord. Conversely, compression forces push on the bottom chord, causing it to shorten and creating an upward force on the top chord. By balancing these opposing forces, a roof truss is able to withstand the weight of the roof and any additional loads placed upon it. The design and placement of the truss members must carefully consider these forces to ensure the structural integrity of the truss.
exequor
The diagram for this quesion is at http://www.drewtemp.com/helios/physics.gif

The first thing that i did was that i made the free body diagram. From my knowledge i would say that AB and BC are in compression and AC is in tension (i think that is correct). Now the question asked to take moments at B for finding the force in AC whether it be tension or compression, however when i do that it seems like the forces just cancel off each other, and that is where i am stuck

Here is the link for my free body diagram: http://www.drewtemp.com/helios/physics_freebody.gif

1. What i want to find is which members are in tension and compression (AB, BC, AC)?

2. What is the force at AC? The weight of AC is negligible.

3. What force from the left (the wind) is required to make the truss pivot at C?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How many times are you going to post this?

Your FBD has some problems:

What is the downward force is that you've got at B?
If AB and BC are under compression, why don't you have the compression inthe FBD?

It's pretty clear to me that AC is under 1800 N of tension. You'll have to solve for a net force of zero at A to get that answer.

For part 3: Since you're dealing with Torque, it matters where the force is going to apply. You can get your answer by eliminating the normal force at A, and solving for zero net torque about C.

Hi cipher, welcome to the forums.

Please don't crosspost.

People typically read all or most subforums, so you'll be fine posting it in one place. It will also be easier for you to keep track of.

I moved one of your other posts into homework help. Please continue the discussion there:

link

1. What is equilibrium in roof truss?

Equilibrium in roof truss refers to the state where all the forces acting on a truss structure are balanced, resulting in a stable and steady structure. This ensures that the truss can withstand the loads placed on it without collapsing or deforming.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a roof truss?

Equilibrium in a roof truss is achieved by ensuring that the sum of all the forces acting on the truss is equal to zero. This is done by carefully designing and constructing the truss with the correct angles and dimensions, as well as using appropriate materials that can withstand the expected loads.

3. What factors affect equilibrium in roof trusses?

Several factors can affect equilibrium in roof trusses, such as the weight of the roof and any additional loads placed on it, the angle and orientation of the truss members, and the strength and stability of the joints connecting the members.

4. Why is it important to maintain equilibrium in a roof truss?

Maintaining equilibrium in a roof truss is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the entire building. If the truss is not in equilibrium, it may lead to excessive stress and strain on certain members, causing them to fail and potentially result in the collapse of the roof.

5. Can equilibrium in a roof truss be affected by external factors?

Yes, equilibrium in a roof truss can be affected by external factors such as strong winds, heavy snow loads, or earthquakes. These forces can create additional loads on the truss, which may exceed its capacity and disrupt the balance of forces, potentially compromising the stability of the entire structure.