Best way to harness electricity from

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of harnessing electricity from a steel ball bearing moving through a magnetic field. One suggestion was to use two copper rails to support the ball and attach leads to each rail. The idea was met with skepticism and the suggestion to build and test the apparatus before considering patenting it. The importance of understanding the scientific principles involved in electric generators was also emphasized.
lasix
Is there a way to harness electricity from a steel ball bearing moving through a magnetic field?

The ball would be heavy enough to move through the entire magnetic field (downhill) from end to end without being caught in the magnetic field.

Would having 2 copper rails supporting the ball as it passes through the magnetic field work and attach 1 lead + and 1 lead - to each rail?

Physics news on Phys.org
lasix,

It appears to me that you are suggesting a new, novel electrical generator. If that's true then may I suggest that you build up that apparatus you propose and observe (measure) the resultant output? If your proposal is viable, then you may want to patent it. Just imagine, "Lasix Generators" power entire cities!

HaHa! Maybe even use my "real" name - P-alot.

Yes off to test. Was hoping someone had some experience with this idea in the past to save some time and money...

TY

Kinda looks like Bobby made a laugh , :D

brushless induction generator huh?

Crazymechanic said:
brushless induction generator huh?

I believe that would still require a rotor?

yes it would , you need either the field changing or if the field is steady you need the physical parts moving to induce something

An aluminium ball will generate stronger eddy currents than a steel ball. I'm not sure how to harness it though.

lasix, In your opening post, you asked about the possibility of "harnessing electricity" with your rolling ball.

Evidently you have not constructed your proposed apparatus and tested it yet. If you had, and if you measured the result, you'd have found NOTHING. No new invention, nothing to patent, and nothing to become famous for.

I guess you missed the point: I was urging you to use the scientific method to arrive a some conclusion, but I guess I was too subtle. Will you please read up and study how electric generators function? And, "harness electricity" is not even a scientifically logical term. Learn the basic "right hand rule" and the "left hand rule" about the behaviors of current flow in conductors in magnetic fields. Taking wild stabs in the dark and guessing is NOT the way to discover the fundamental laws of physics.

You might start your search here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_generator

1. What is the most efficient way to harness electricity from a natural source like wind or water?

The most efficient way to harness electricity from a natural source is through the use of turbines. These turbines are designed to capture the kinetic energy of wind or water and convert it into electricity. The size, shape, and placement of the turbines can greatly impact their efficiency.

2. Can solar panels be used to harness electricity from the sun?

Yes, solar panels are a popular and effective way to harness electricity from the sun. The panels are made up of photovoltaic cells that convert sunlight into electricity. The amount of electricity that can be harnessed depends on the size and placement of the panels, as well as the intensity of the sunlight.

3. Is geothermal energy a viable option for harnessing electricity?

Yes, geothermal energy is a viable option for harnessing electricity. This type of energy uses the heat from the Earth's core to generate steam, which is then used to power turbines and produce electricity. While geothermal energy is not as widely used as other renewable sources, it is a reliable and sustainable option.

4. How does hydroelectric power harness electricity from water?

Hydroelectric power harnesses electricity from water by using dams to control the flow of water. As the water moves through the dam, it powers turbines which then generate electricity. The amount of electricity produced depends on the flow of water and the height of the dam.

5. Is there a way to harness electricity from human movement?

Yes, there are several ways to harness electricity from human movement, such as through piezoelectric materials or kinetic energy harvesting. Piezoelectric materials produce electricity when they are compressed, which can be used in wearable devices or flooring to harness the energy from human movement. Kinetic energy harvesting uses the movement of the body to power small devices like watches or fitness trackers.