Intro to Proofs: Greatest Common Divisors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integers and their greatest common divisor in solving equations. Part (a) shows that the solutions to the equation xa+yb=d are given by x=m+k(b/d) and y=n-k(a/d) where k is an integer. In part (b), it is proven that the equation xa+yb=c has a solution in ZxZ if and only if d|c. The conversation also includes a proposed solution and a discussion on how to approach the problem.
rdr3

Homework Statement

(a) Let a and b be integers with gcd(a,b)=d, and assume that ma+nb=d for integers m and n. Show that the solutions in Z to

xa+yb=d

are exactly

x=m+k(b/d), y=n-k(a/d)

where k∈Z.

(b) Let a and b be integers with gcd(a,b)=d. Show that the equation

xa+yb=c

has a solution (x,y)∈ ZxZ if and only if d|c.

Z refers to integers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I'm pretty sure I figured out part (a).

Part (b) on the other hand is causing me problems. I know since it's an "if and only if" question, I have to prove it both ways.

This is what I have so far.

So we have some x and y, such as

x0a+y0b=d

Then we multiply both sides by some arbitrary element, such as n. Giving us,

(nx0)a+(ny0)b=nd=c

So that's the first part. Now I'm supposed to go the other way with it, showing that
xa+yb=c -> c=nd, n∈ Z.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the contrapositive for the other direction? That might be easier.

So maybe this?

Suppose dc...

Then c≠nd

In which case, c≠nd≠(nx0)a+(ny0)b.

So like that? Or am I way off? Sorry I'm not very good at this... The teacher explains things way over everyone's head.

1. What is a greatest common divisor (GCD)?

A greatest common divisor (GCD) is the largest positive integer that divides evenly into two or more given numbers. In other words, it is the largest number that is a common factor of all the given numbers.

2. Why is understanding GCD important in mathematics?

GCD is an essential concept in mathematics as it is used in various mathematical concepts such as simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and solving equations involving rational numbers. It also plays a significant role in prime factorization and finding the least common multiple of two or more numbers.

3. How do you find the GCD of two or more numbers?

The most common method to find the GCD of two or more numbers is by using the Euclidean algorithm. This method involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder as the new divisor until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD of the given numbers. Another method is by listing out the factors of each number and finding the largest common factor.

4. Can the GCD of two numbers be negative?

No, the GCD of two numbers is always a positive integer. This is because the GCD is defined as the largest positive integer that divides evenly into the given numbers.

5. How is the GCD used in real-life applications?

The GCD has various real-life applications, such as in cryptography, where it is used in creating secure codes by finding the GCD of two large numbers. It is also used in scheduling tasks, where the GCD of two or more numbers represents the shortest possible time interval in which the tasks can be repeated simultaneously. Additionally, GCD is used in engineering and computer science to optimize algorithms and data structures.