Show that [A,B^{n}]=nB^{n-1}[A,B]

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
In summary, the commutator relation problem is to find a relation where [A,B^{n}]=nB^{n-1}[A,B] and [A,B^{n}]=AB^{n} - B^{n}A. Using the recursion formula, it is easy to solve for [A,B^{n}]=nB^{n-1}[A,B] and [A,B^{n}]=AB^{n} - B^{n}A.
dimensionless
I'm having trouble figuring out the following commutator relation problem:

Suppose A and B commute with their commutator, i.e., [tex][B,[A,B]]=[A,[A,B]]=0[/tex]. Show that

[tex][A,B^{n}]=nB^{n-1}[A,B][/tex]

I have

[tex][A,B^{n}] = AB^{n} - B^{n}A[/tex]

and also

[tex][A,B^{n}] = AB^{n} - B^{n}A = ABB^{n-1} - BB^{n-1}A[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here. I'm not positive the above relation is correct either.

Likes Nnyambenike
Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
I'm having trouble figuring out the following commutator relation problem:

Suppose A and B commute with their commutator, i.e., [tex][B,[A,B]]=[A,[A,B]]=0[/tex]. Show that

[tex][A,B^{n}]=nB^{n-1}[A,B][/tex]

I have

[tex][A,B^{n}] = AB^{n} - B^{n}A[/tex]

and also

[tex][A,B^{n}] = AB^{n} - B^{n}A = ABB^{n-1} - BB^{n-1}A[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here. I'm not positive the above relation is correct either.

Do you know the relation

[A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A,B] C

?

It's easy to prove. Just expand out.

Now, use with [itex] C= B^{n-1} [/itex].
, that is use [itex] [A,B^n] = B[A,B^{n-1}] + [A,B] B^{n-1} [/itex].
Now, repeat this again on the first term using now [itex] C= B^{n-2} [/itex]. You will get a recursion formula that will give you the proof easily.

Help! I need to do this same exact problem. But I just don't understand what to do so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind showing the steps that you explained to do in order to get the final solution. Thank you so much!

i also need to answer the same problem for my quantum physics course. thank you.

Here's another way:

[tex]AB^n = (AB)B^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]=(BA+[A,B])B^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]=BAB^{n-1} + [A,B]B^{n-1}[/tex]

Can you understand each step?

Now repeat on the first term on the right. Keep going until you end up with [itex]B^n A[/itex] plus some other stuff. According to the statement of the problem, the other stuff should end up being [itex]n[A,B]B^{n-1}[/itex]. It's crucial that [itex][A,B][/itex] commutes with [itex]B[/itex] to get this final result.

wohow! thanks Avodynefor the reply. got mixed up. my work all ended as a never ending subtraction of powers ofB. thanks for the idea.

What is the meaning of [A,B^{n}]?

[A,B^{n}] is a mathematical notation representing the commutator of two operators A and B raised to the power of n. It is used to measure how much two operators do not commute, or do not produce the same result when applied in different orders.

What is the significance of [A,B^{n}] in the equation?

The significance of [A,B^{n}] in the equation is that it is equal to nB^{n-1}[A,B], which shows the relationship between the commutator and the operators A and B. It also demonstrates the properties of the commutator, such as linearity and the power rule.

How can this equation be applied in scientific research?

This equation can be applied in scientific research, specifically in the fields of quantum mechanics and linear algebra. It helps to analyze the behavior of operators and their commutators, which are important in understanding the properties of physical systems and their interactions.

What are the implications of [A,B^{n}] for the study of quantum mechanics?

The implications of [A,B^{n}] in quantum mechanics are significant as it helps to understand the uncertainty principle and the non-commutativity of certain physical quantities, which are essential concepts in this field. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and quantum information theory.

Are there any exceptions to the relationship shown in the equation?

Yes, there are exceptions to the relationship shown in the equation, as there are some cases where the commutator may not follow the power rule. However, these exceptions are rare and do not affect the overall significance of the equation in understanding the behavior of operators and their commutators.