Closest approach of particle problem - Please help

In summary: No, there doesn't exist such a setup. What you're describing is the behavior of two positive charges when they're physically close to each other, but they're not at the distance of closest approach.
PhysicsinCalifornia
Closest approach of particle problem - Please help!

Homework Statement

A proton (q = 1e, m = 1u) and an alpha particle (q = +2e, m = 4u) are fired directly toward each other from far away, each with a speed of 0.01c. What is their distance of closest approach, as measured between their centers?
[tex]e = 1.6 * 10^{-19}[/tex]
[tex]c = 3 * 10^8[/tex]
[tex]u = 1.661 * 10^{-27}[/tex]

This should be a simple problem, but I wanted to know if anyone got the same answer as I did.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy
[tex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/tex]

Conservation of momentum
[tex]m_1v_{1i} + m_1v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f} + m_2v_{2f}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After making my conclusion that the proton will eventually turn around and reach a 0 velocity because the bigger particle (alpha particle) will make this "collision" similar to an elastic one.

I first have to find my final velocity of the alpha particle, v1.
[tex]m_1v_{1i} + m_1v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f} + m_2v_{2f}[/tex]
[tex](4u)(3 * 10^6 \frac{m}{s}) - (1u)(3 * 10^6 \frac{m}{s}) = (4u)v_{1f}[/tex]
[tex]9.0 * 10^6u\frac{m}{s} = (4u)v_{1f}[/tex]
[tex]v_{1f} = 2.25 * 10^6\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

Then I plugged that velocity into the energy

After plugging in and solving for my R (which is at minimum when the velocity of the proton is at 0), I get my R to be [tex]2.24 * 10^{-14} m[/tex]

Did anyone get this same answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: When the particles reach their distance of closest approach they will momentarily be moving together. What will their KE be at that moment?

DocAl, how would you determine the velocity at that moment? I only found the final velocity with respect to the Alpha particle. My final answer is approximate to the OP's but I assume you see a flaw in that line of logic. Care to elaborate?

octahedron said:
DocAl, how would you determine the velocity at that moment?
Using conservation of momentum.
I only found the final velocity with respect to the Alpha particle. My final answer is approximate to the OP's but I assume you see a flaw in that line of logic. Care to elaborate?
Not sure what you did. At the distance of closest approach, both particles move with the same speed. (The relative speed is zero.)

Oh, so something like:

[tex](4 \times u)(3 \times 10^{6}) - (1 \times u)(3 \times 10^{6}) = -(4 \times u)(v_f) + (1 \times u)(v_f)[/tex]

In which case [tex] K_f = \frac{1}{2}(m_{p} + m_{\alpha})v_{f}^{2}[/tex]

Am I in the ballpark?

You got it. But be careful with signs on the RHS of your momentum equation. Write it as: [itex](m_1 + m_2)v_f[/itex].

On that note, I assumed on the RHS that they'd go on the opposite directions hence the different signs. Or are they actually moving in one direction together?

octahedron said:
Or are they actually moving in one direction together?
Think it through. If they were moving in opposite directions or had any kind of relative motion, they'd have to be approaching or separating--and thus not at the distance of closest approach.

Very nice! But that, as you said before, happens momentarily. They do eventually separate, right? Or do they stay in this state indefinitely?

What do you think? Consider the force that two positive charges exert on each other.

I'm actually thinking they'd be tailing each other for an indefinite amount of time (presuming, of course, no outside interference) by staying at the distance of closest approach. It makes sense to me this way since that is the maximum distance at which these two charges meet. But now I'm a little confused, because there does exist a repulsive force [tex]F_e[/tex] of magnitude [tex]\frac{k_{e} \times 2e \times e}{r^2}[/tex].

The repulsive force is the key. At the distance of closest approach that force is maximum--the particles will separate. They essentially bounce off of each other.

Ah, I think I get the gist of it now! Thanks for the insight. Out of curiosity, does there exist a setup where two charges continue tailing each other at a distance indefinitely? It's an interesting concept to know of.

1. What is a closest approach of particle problem?

A closest approach of particle problem refers to the calculation of the minimum distance between two particles moving along different paths. This distance is usually measured at the point where the particles are closest to each other.

2. How do you calculate the closest approach of particle problem?

The closest approach of particle problem can be calculated using the equations of motion and the initial conditions of the particles, such as their velocities and positions. It is important to take into account the forces acting on the particles, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces, in order to accurately calculate the closest approach.

3. What factors can affect the closest approach of particle problem?

The closest approach of particle problem can be affected by various factors, such as the initial conditions of the particles, their masses, velocities, and the forces acting on them. Other factors, such as external forces or interactions with other particles, may also play a role in determining the closest approach.

4. Why is the closest approach of particle problem important in physics?

The closest approach of particle problem is important in physics because it allows us to study and understand the interactions between particles and the forces that govern their motion. It is also a crucial component in various fields of physics, such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

5. How is the closest approach of particle problem used in practical applications?

The closest approach of particle problem has practical applications in various fields, such as space exploration, where it is used to calculate trajectories and potential collisions between objects. It is also utilized in particle accelerators to control the paths of particles and study their interactions. In addition, the closest approach has applications in fields such as medicine, where it is used to study the behavior and interactions of particles in biological systems.