Date Night: Beaten Out By Fat-Cat in Warren Buffet Lunch Auction

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: I forget what the deal was, but it was like $40 for a steak and some sides. That's probably about what you would pay at a restaurant, although I'm not sure about the sides. I have to say something about the price that you pay for food.In summary, the auction winner paid $255,500 for lunch with Warren Buffet, which is more than the auction winner's bid of $255,499.99.
Jimmy Snyder
My bid of $255,499.99 for lunch with Warren Buffet got beat out on e-bay by some fat-cat with more resources than I was able to dig up, $255,500.00. So instead, I took my wife out to lunch for $12 at the local Vietnamese noodle house. Eat your heart out u***e. There's good news on the inflation front, last year the Warren Buffet Lunch Index was $650,100. I had bid in that one too, but my $649,099.99 offer was not enough. I would have bid as much this year, but gas prices have eaten into my finances.

It's a charity auction. I don't know the details, but as I understand it, when you get something in return for a charitable contribution, you have to knock that much off the tax credit. Buffett will entertain the winner and seven companions at New York's Smith & Wollensky steakhouse. I assume that means that he will be picking up the tab. Their web site, http://www.smithandwollensky.com/nyLunchmenu.htm" [Broken], shows high prices, but not outrageous like the $6 I shelled out for noodles. Filet Oscar, a steak made from the hind-quarters of a puppet, costs less than a dollar (41/47 to be exact). It looks like if everyone gets steak, salad, two sides, desert, a good wine, and a toy (the happy meal) it would run less than $100/per. Let's be vague and say that the meal is worth $800, you don't get socked for what Warren eats. So the tax credit for charity is a mere $254,700. But who gets it? Does Warren claim that he sold his time for the going price in a public auction and then gave the money to charity? My friend Rosie Fishnet made the same claim just before she got 6 months on a charge of alleviated assault. Or does the John get it? Or both? Any legal eagles here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
Filet Oscar, a steak made from the hind-quarters of a puppet, costs less than a dollar (41/47 to be exact).

ahahahhahahaha

:rofl:

Okay, I give up, why are there two prices shown for so many of the menu items? Obviously, I don't get out much, because I don't even seem to know how to read a menu anymore. Is one of those prices what you pay if you just want food, and the other the one you pay if you want to obligate your date to sleep with you after?

"large" and "small" servings?

Actually, my first guess was that one was on 49th and the other on 3rd!

Cooking is extra.

jimmysnyder said:
Cooking is extra.

And not at all worth it. How well do you need to cook a puppet, anyway?

lisab said:
And not at all worth it. How well do you need to cook a puppet, anyway?
Dunno, I never ate a raw puppet. Actually, the Lobster Tails are a clue. I liked moonbear's explanation better. Last time we ate there I ordered $47 filet, but unfortunately, my wife wanted the $41 one.

Last edited:
Those prices seem pretty average from I would expect from a nice restaurant.

Its probably the size in oz of the cut?

I never buy steak out anymore because for $40, I can buy POUNDS of filet and feast on it for a week straight. It tastes the same to me too. All they do is fry it. It isn't rocket science. Its a billion % profit.

Cyrus said:
All they do is fry it.
Sometimes they broil it.

JasonRox said:
Those prices seem pretty average from I would expect from a nice restaurant.

That looks REALLY expensive to me, especially noting it's the LUNCH menu. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that a burger is worth $16 no matter who cooked it. I balk at an $8 burger in hotel restaurants, and those don't have a la cart sides. I agree with Cyrus on that, restaurants mark up the beef so much it's ridiculous. And I can cook a steak at home ($40-$50 would buy me a LOT of steak). When I go to a restaurant, I like to order foods that require some talent to cook, or at least creativity. Any moron can sear a steak or make creamed spinach. Not everyone can make good sauces and come up with creative dishes that you're not going to cook at home. If I order steak when out, it means someone took me to a really boring restaurant with limited selections on the menu.

Cyrus said:
Its probably the size in oz of the cut?

I never buy steak out anymore because for $40, I can buy POUNDS of filet and feast on it for a week straight. It tastes the same to me too. All they do is fry it. It isn't rocket science. Its a billion % profit.

I have to say something about the price that you pay for food.

I went to a local steak house and bought a large large steak (grilled) for 20 and it was a good inch thick.. They had larger steaks for more but I don't think anyone could eat the whole thing. I even had to wrap up the rest of the steak and bring it back home to eat.
Places like outback steakhouse rip people off good. The steaks there are half the size of the one I got and are are the same or even more expensive than the steak house that I went too.

~christina~ said:
I have to say something about the price that you pay for food.

I went to a local steak house and bought a large large steak (grilled) for 20 and it was a good inch thick.. They had larger steaks for more but I don't think anyone could eat the whole thing. I even had to wrap up the rest of the steak and bring it back home to eat.
Places like outback steakhouse rip people off good. The steaks there are half the size of the one I got and are are the same or even more expensive than the steak house that I went too.

Someone took me to a fancy steak house where the steaks were monstrous! I ate a little corner of it, and the waiter kept asking me if it was okay, if there were any problems with the food, yadda yadda yadda. No problems, I just didn't need to eat a steak the size of my head, and since I was staying in a hotel, had no way to take it with me either. What a waste of food! What is the point of such a ridiculously huge portion? I'd rather someone serve some good food in a reasonable portion than bring me out a steak the size of a dinner plate.

A steak the size of your head. I want pictures of that next time, 'kay?

What is the "Beaten Out By Fat-Cat" date night?

The "Beaten Out By Fat-Cat" date night refers to the annual charity auction held by Warren Buffet where the winning bidder gets to have lunch with him at a New York steakhouse. The auction often attracts high-profile bidders and the proceeds go to charity.

How much does it typically cost to win the Warren Buffet lunch auction?

In recent years, the winning bid for the Warren Buffet lunch auction has ranged from $1 million to over $4 million. In 2021, the winning bid was $4,567,888. The auction has been known to attract wealthy individuals and corporations who are willing to pay a high price for the opportunity to have lunch with Warren Buffet.

What is the purpose of the Warren Buffet lunch auction?

The purpose of the Warren Buffet lunch auction is to raise money for various charities chosen by Warren Buffet himself. Over the years, the auction has raised millions of dollars for organizations such as GLIDE, Girls Inc., and the San Francisco-based homeless charity, Glide Foundation.

Who typically wins the Warren Buffet lunch auction?

The Warren Buffet lunch auction has been won by a wide range of bidders including high-profile individuals, business executives, and even cryptocurrency enthusiasts. In 2021, the winning bidder was Justin Sun, the founder of the cryptocurrency platform TRON.

How can I participate in the Warren Buffet lunch auction?

To participate in the Warren Buffet lunch auction, you must register on the official website and place a bid during the specified auction period. Bidders must also meet certain criteria, such as being able to afford the winning bid and passing a background check. The auction is open to anyone, but the winning bidder must be available to travel to New York for the lunch with Warren Buffet.