Static Eqm-unsure about forces to be drawn

In summary: Means it is not like those support reactions? Like if we cannot rotate abt that point, the there is a moment; if we cannot translate vertically or horizontally, then there is a reaction vertically or horizontally?Yes, if you just place a book on a (horizontal) table, the reaction force of the table on the book is strictly vertical--no horizontal component.
makeAwish

Homework Statement

A uniform beam of mass mb and length supports blocks with masses m1 and m2 at two positions, as in Fig. P12.3. The beam rests on two knife edges. For what value of x will the beam be balanced at P such that the normal force at O is zero?

2.jpg

Homework Equations

sum of F = 0
sum of moments = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm quite unsure regarding the forces to be drawn in my free body diagram.

Example, the two normal forces by beam on the each masses. Do i draw them out?

And at points P and O, is there a horizontal reaction force?

How do i determine the forces at point P?
Like when i looking at point P, do i think as the way below?

(treat the knife edge at O as not existing) the beam can rotate at P, so no moments.
but the beam cannot translate horiz and vert at P, so there are horiz and vert reaction forces.

or I cannot treat the knife edge at O as not existing? If so, means the beam cannot rotate at P and there will be a moments?

Do you all know what i mean? =x
Can explain to me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best treatment is to consider that point O doesn't exist.

Then all you care about are the sum of the moments about P, which you can write out by inspection.

As to the forces at P, that's just the Σ m*g if it is in balance.

LowlyPion said:
The best treatment is to consider that point O doesn't exist.

Then all you care about are the sum of the moments about P, which you can write out by inspection.

As to the forces at P, that's just the Σ m*g if it is in balance.

okay thanks. So at points P and O, is there a horizontal reaction force?
Then for the two normal forces by beam on the each masses, are they considered as internal forces?

makeAwish said:
So at points P and O, is there a horizontal reaction force?
Why would there be?

Then for the two normal forces by beam on the each masses, are they considered as internal forces?
If you consider the beam + blocks as a single system, then the normal force between them would be an internal force. But you could also treat the blocks separately, then the normal force would be an external force. Either way is fine.

Doc Al said:
Why would there be?

If you consider the beam + blocks as a single system, then the normal force between them would be an internal force. But you could also treat the blocks separately, then the normal force would be an external force. Either way is fine.

Yup. Think i understand the internal forces :) Thanks a lot!

There are horizontal forces cos the beam can't translate horizontally at these points?
(like the support reactions..) hmm.. is it?

If you place a book on a table, what's the horizontal reaction force? Why is that case any different than this one?

Doc Al said:
If you place a book on a table, what's the horizontal reaction force? Why is that case any different than this one?

If i push the book, there will be a frictional force, provided surface not smooth. Correct?

makeAwish said:
If i push the book, there will be a frictional force, provided surface not smooth. Correct?
Sure, if you push it horizontally. (But what if you don't?)

No force?

makeAwish said:
No force?
Right. If you just place a book on a (horizontal) table, the reaction force of the table on the book is strictly vertical--no horizontal component.

Means it is not like those support reactions? Like if we cannot rotate abt that point, the there is a moment; if we cannot translate vertically or horizontally, then there is a reaction vertically or horizontally?

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net movement or acceleration.

What forces need to be drawn in a static equilibrium problem?

In a static equilibrium problem, you need to draw all the external forces acting on the object. These can include forces such as weight, tension, normal force, and friction.

How do I determine the direction of forces in a static equilibrium problem?

To determine the direction of forces, you can use the principle of action and reaction, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You can also consider the direction in which the object would move if the forces were unbalanced.

What is the difference between a free body diagram and a force diagram?

A free body diagram shows all the forces acting on an object, while a force diagram only shows the external forces. In other words, a free body diagram includes all the forces, even those exerted by the object itself, while a force diagram only shows the forces acting on the object from the outside.

How do I solve a static equilibrium problem?

To solve a static equilibrium problem, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the object and label all the forces. Then, apply the principle of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces in any direction must equal zero. This will allow you to set up and solve equations to determine the unknown forces.