Hamiltonian problem: observables

In summary, a particle moving in 3 dimensions has a Hamiltonian given by H=p^2/2m+\alpha*(x^2+y^2+z^2)+\gamma*z, where \alpha and \gamma are real nonzero constant numbers. The observables of parity, energy, z component of orbital angular momentum, x component of orbital angular momentum, and z component of linear momentum were discussed. It was shown that parity is not conserved as H(r) and H(-r) are not equal. The textbook states that when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian, the energy eigenfunctions are also eigenfunctions of the operator and the observable represented by the operator is a constant of motion and is conserved. Therefore,
noblegas

Homework Statement

A particle that moves in 3 dimensions has that Hamiltonian

[tex] H=p^2/2m+\alpha*(x^2+y^2+z^2)+\gamma*z[/tex] where [tex] \alpha[/tex] and [tex]\gamma[/tex] are real nonzero constant numbers.

a) For each of the following observables , state whether or why the observable is conserved: parity , [tex]\Pi[/tex]; energy [tex]H[/tex] ; the z component of orbital angular momentum , [tex] L_z[/tex] ; the x component of orbital angular momentum , [tex] L_x[/tex] , the z componetm of the linear momentum [tex]p_z[/tex]

b) Reduce the expression for the time rate of change of the expectation value of the y component of orbital angular momentum , [tex]d<L_y>/dt[/tex] , to the simplest possible form. Find the classical analog to the result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) parity: [tex] \Pi \phi(r)=\phi(-r); [/tex] Have to show that H(r)=H(-r)

x -> -x
y-> -y
z -> -z

therefore , [tex] H=p^2/2m+\alpha*(x^2+y^2+z^2)+\gamma*z, H(-r)=] H=p^2/2m+\alpha*(-x)^2+(-y)^2+(-z)^2)+\gamma*(-z)=] H=p^2/2m+\alpha*(x^2+y^2+z^2)-\gamma*z[/tex]

observable for parity is not conserved since H(r) and H(-r) are not equal to each other.

For energy, I don't know how to show that the observable is observed, other than stating the Law of energy conservation, which I know that's not what you do; Same goes for the rest of the observables Should I take the commutator of : [H, L_z] , [H,L_x], [H,p_z]?

b) [tex] <L_y>=\varphi^2*L_ydy[/tex]. What do I set [tex] \varphi[/tex] equal to?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is true when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian?

kuruman said:
What is true when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian?

it equals zero

Yes, that is true, but there are other things that are also true when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian. What are they? What does your textbook say?

kuruman said:
Yes, that is true, but there are other things that are also true when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian. What are they? What does your textbook say?

[tex]\Pi*p^2[/tex]=[tex]-p*\Pi*p=p^2*\Pi[/tex]?

[tex]\Pi*r=-r*\Pi[/tex]
[tex]\Pi*\varphi(r)=\varphi(-r)=-\varphi(r)[/tex] if [tex]\pi=+1[/tex], [tex]\Pi*\varphi(r)=\varphi(-r)=\varphi(r)[/tex] if [tex]\pi=-1[/tex]

Last edited:
noblegas said:
[tex]\Pi*p^2[/tex]=[tex]-p*\Pi*p=p^2*\Pi[/tex]?

[tex]\Pi*r=-r*\Pi[/tex]
[tex]\Pi*\varphi(r)=\varphi(-r)=-\varphi(r)[/tex] if [tex]\pi=+1[/tex], [tex]\Pi*\varphi(r)=\varphi(-r)=\varphi(r)[/tex] if [tex]\pi=-1[/tex]

Is that what your textbook says?

kuruman said:
Is that what your textbook says?

yes. should I calculated the commutators I listed in my OP

Is there nothing in your textbook about what is true when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian? This is a rather important result in Quantum Mechanics.

kuruman said:
Is there nothing in your textbook about what is true when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian? This is a rather important result in Quantum Mechanics.

Sorry I don't know what else to say: When an operator commutes with a hamiltonian, [tex][H,\Pi]=0[/tex] My book says that [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]\Pi[/tex] are simultaneous eigenfunctions of [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]\Pi[/tex]

Yes, when an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian the energy eigenfunctions are also eigenfunctions of the operator. That's the first thing. The second thing is that the observable represented by the operator is a constant of the motion, i.e. is conserved. Do you see what you ought to do now?

1. What is a Hamiltonian problem?

A Hamiltonian problem refers to a mathematical problem in classical mechanics that involves determining the future state of a physical system based on its current state. It is named after William Rowan Hamilton, who developed the equations used to solve these problems.

2. What are observables in the context of Hamiltonian problems?

Observables are physical quantities that can be measured or observed in a system. In Hamiltonian problems, they are represented by mathematical functions that describe the state of the system at a given time.

3. How are observables related to the Hamiltonian of a system?

The Hamiltonian of a system is a function that describes the total energy of the system. Observables are related to the Hamiltonian through the equations of motion, which describe how the observables change over time based on the Hamiltonian.

4. What is the importance of observables in Hamiltonian problems?

Observables play a crucial role in Hamiltonian problems as they allow us to predict the future behavior of a physical system. By calculating the observables at different points in time, we can determine the evolution of the system and make predictions about its future state.

5. How are Hamiltonian problems solved?

Hamiltonian problems are typically solved using Hamilton's equations, which describe the evolution of observables over time. These equations can be solved numerically or analytically, depending on the complexity of the problem and the available tools and techniques.