Understanding σH Adducts: Definition and Explanation

• Thread starter lmarcantel1
  • Start date
H and σD are used to represent different types of adducts formed by attaching an electrophilic or nucleophilic group or radical to an aromatic species. σH refers to an adduct formed with hydrogen, while σD refers to an adduct formed with a deuterium atom. These symbols are used in chemical equations to distinguish between different types of adducts.
lmarcantel1
What is a σH adduct? I understand what an adduct is, I am just not sure what the σH is referring to. I could take a few wild guesses; but I've learned that going "John Wayne" doesn't always lead to the the correct answer. (Its cool looking, but not very effective...)

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"The product formed by the attachment of an electrophilic or nucleophilic entering group or of a radical to a ring carbon of an aromatic species so that a new sigma bond is formed and the original conjugation is disrupted."

From http://goldbook.iupac.org/A05436.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
What about σD adducts? Where does the H and D superscripts come from?

H is hydrogen. Can you tell what D might be?

chemisttree said:
H is hydrogen. Can you tell what D might be?

According to me D stands for density and this is what I know as, these are the things that comes in chemical terms and they are used for all the equations that are always used.

Thanks!

No, D doesn't stand for density here.

Hint: T doesn't stand for time :wink:

--
methods

What is a σH Adduct?

A σH Adduct is a type of chemical compound formed by the addition of a hydrogen atom to a carbon-carbon double bond. This results in the formation of a new single bond between the carbon atoms, also known as a sigma bond.

What are the properties of a σH Adduct?

The properties of a σH Adduct can vary depending on the specific molecules involved. However, in general, these compounds tend to be stable and have low reactivity due to the strong sigma bond formed between the carbon atoms.

What is the mechanism of formation for a σH Adduct?

The formation of a σH Adduct typically occurs through a reaction between a carbon-carbon double bond and a hydrogen donor molecule. This can happen through a variety of mechanisms, such as radical addition or nucleophilic addition.

What are some examples of σH Adducts?

Some common examples of σH Adducts include alcohols, ethers, and amines. These compounds can all be formed by the addition of a hydrogen atom to a carbon-carbon double bond, resulting in the formation of a new single bond.

What are the potential uses of σH Adducts in scientific research?

σH Adducts have a wide range of potential uses in scientific research. They can serve as intermediates in organic synthesis, be used as building blocks for the construction of more complex molecules, and even have applications in catalysis and drug development.