There are tiny bugs flying around my sink

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the conversation is about a person dealing with a fruit fly infestation in their home. They have tried using fly paper and glue boxes to catch the flies, but have found that baiting the fly paper with bananas is more effective. They also discuss using traps made of cups and paper funnels to catch the flies. Some members of the conversation express concern about killing the flies, while others suggest adding a drop of detergent to the bait to ensure that the flies sink instead of floating.
Newai
Tiny little buggers. Sometimes one will float in front of my monitor here. A little annoying, but they don't bite and pretty much stay away from me. And they like wine. They really like wine.

So, I put a strip of fly paper over the sink. Most of them are eventually crushed by the adhesive over a period of days, but I've never seen one actually walk up the strip before.

I also bought some glue boxes for the creepy crawlies. Caught a nasty-ugly looking spider one morning. When I came home, it's opisthosoma was gone! I figure another resident came by and had some lunch. Can't imagine what it must've been like to be stuck to a box while some other arachnid is munching on your behind. Eek.

I'm also catching a lot of pseudoscorpions. Not what I really want to happen, but I just can't seem to catch up with the pests in here. Sprayed, too.

Anyway, anyone have an idea what those flying bugs might be? I'm in NE U.S. They don't look like the gnats I found in Google images. Their eyes are bright red.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you've got a bad case of drosophila...fruit flies. Oh yes, they looooove wine :smile:!

I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

They are fruit flies and almost impossible to kill. Whah!

Newai said:
Their eyes are bright red.

Could be all that wine.

lisab said:
Sounds like you've got a bad case of drosophila...fruit flies. Oh yes, they looooove wine :smile:!

Images in Google are an exact match. Thanks!

hehe, Wiki reads that they are also called wine flies.

And you are all funny!

:!)
Math Is Hard said:
Could be all that wine.
:!):!):!):!)

Wiki: "Males of this genus are known to have the longest sperm cells of any organism on Earth, including one species, Drosophila bifurca, that has sperm 58 mm (2.3 in) long."

OMG

Newai said:
Wiki: "Males of this genus are known to have the longest sperm cells of any organism on Earth, including one species, Drosophila bifurca, that has sperm 58 mm (2.3 in) long."

OMG

Whoooooa, the pix are...just, wow! How does that even work? I mean, how does that sperm get anywhere?!?

Here's an interesting article about that particular species...

http://www.livescience.com/animals/060616_big_sperm.html

...the female bodies of many species are not passive arenas within which sperm compete, but more like obstacle courses, with hurdles and defenses in place...

In D. bifurca, the female reproductive tract is just slightly longer than the sperm that swim through it.

"It looks like a giant slinky filling her abdomen," Bjork told LiveScience.

:eek:

I don't even know how to imagine fruit fly sex, particularly with that!

And sounds like a future mix drink.

turbo-1 said:
They are fruit flies and almost impossible to kill. Whah!

i found a way. they are not the least bit interested in flypaper. really luck of the draw if you hang a strip. but... they love banana. and you can dab little bits of banana on the flypaper. and they will land, and walk about, eventually getting stuck on the paper. so just bait it with something they like. still hard to get them all, but it gets you moving in that direction.

oh, and don't forget to throw out all your bananas, too.

Proton Soup said:
i found a way. they are not the least bit interested in flypaper. really luck of the draw if you hang a strip. but... they love banana. and you can dab little bits of banana on the flypaper. and they will land, and walk about, eventually getting stuck on the paper. so just bait it with something they like. still hard to get them all, but it gets you moving in that direction.

oh, and don't forget to throw out all your bananas, too.

My fly paper is covered with them.

Newai said:

you are lucky, then. turned their noses up at mine.

Newai said:

I did a little project with my niece and nephew. We make little traps out of cups and paper funnels. Fill the cup (glass is good so you can look in) with wine, or fruit, and then tape a paper funnel over the top of the cup. The funnel can be made by rolling a piece of paper, taping it, and making a tiny hole by snipping the end with sissors. The flies can easily fly into the funnel as they go from wide to narrow, drawn in by the odor, but coming out is another matter. Then you just let them go outside.

stevenb said:
I did a little project with my niece and nephew. We make little traps out of cups and paper funnels. Fill the cup (glass is good so you can look in) with wine, or fruit, and then tape a paper funnel over the top of the cup. The funnel can be made by rolling a piece of paper, taping it, and making a tiny hole by snipping the end with sissors. The flies can easily fly into the funnel as they go from wide to narrow, drawn in by the odor, but coming out is another matter. Then you just let them go outside.

I've done that exact same thing, it works!

lisab said:

Yes, fun for the kids too, and me as well, I must confess. :smile:

lisab said:

yes, but then they get to live. :grumpy:

Proton Soup said:
yes, but then they get to live. :grumpy:

Only when the kids are in sight. :smile:

stevenb said:
Only when the kids are in sight. :smile:

Ha...well you can put a drop of detergent in the wine/juice, so if they touch it they won't float, they'll sink right down.

ffliestrap.jpg

Wow. Just got up this morning and there are fewer on the paper strip. Some of them managed to work their way off! I see that there are a few spots that have very little adhesive. Manufacturing problem. This calls for drastic measures.

I'm getting a cat.

Borek said:
ffliestrap.jpg

You're not very generous, Borek

make sure that whenever you happen to make wine that the fruit flies can't access it. They'll infect it with bacterea that makes acid of it

http://www.vinegar.at/pdfs/Combat%20against%20fruit%20flies.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually there is no wine involved, but apple cider vinegar. I think it was two years ago, when turbo described this kind of a fly trap and I made one shown on the picture. I have already posted this picture long ago, perhaps in the food thread.

Borek said:
Actually there is no wine involved, but apple cider vinegar. I think it was two years ago, when turbo described this kind of a fly trap and I made one shown on the picture. I have already posted this picture long ago, perhaps in the food thread.
I have a fresh one on my kitchen counter, Borek. They LOVE apple cider vinegar. We are harvesting tomatoes, apples (early!) and other fruits, and invariably get some fruit flies in the house. The trap thins them out greatly.

stevenb said:

I wonder if this works with larger flies. Of course, I'm not sure if they would be drawn to wine/apple cider vinegar. I find that there are a bunch of large flies in my backyard around the stairs. I don't know why they congregate there but I assume it's because it's cooler around that area.

~christina~ said:
I wonder if this works with larger flies. Of course, I'm not sure if they would be drawn to wine/apple cider vinegar. I find that there are a bunch of large flies in my backyard around the stairs. I don't know why they congregate there but I assume it's because it's cooler around that area.

I've seen similar traps sold at some department stores targeted for bees.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEMQrQQwAg

~christina~ said:

I don't know why a larger version of the trap should not work. However, I hate to tell you what might work as bait. :rofl:

stevenb said:
I don't know why a larger version of the trap should not work. However, I hate to tell you what might work as bait. :rofl:

Lol, I had that same icky thought hahahah...

lisab said:
Lol, I had that same icky thought hahahah...

I assume a rotting carcass would suffice... :uhh:

Most flies like excrement and/or rotting meat. My favorite flies are nectar-eating parasitic flies. They lay their eggs on beetles, and when the eggs hatch, the larvae burrow into the host, killing and eating it. I LOVE it when they parasitize Japanese beetles. Yay! Raised white dot(s) on the carapace? You're a goner, beetle!

~christina~ said:
I assume a rotting carcass would suffice... :uhh:

Yeees...

I like a clean kitchen. That's why I keep a hunk of rotting carcass out to keep the flies under control. (Lord knows, I wouldn't want my kitchen to smell of poo...) :wink:

turbo-1 said:
Most flies like excrement and/or rotting meat. My favorite flies are nectar-eating parasitic flies. They lay their eggs on beetles, and when the eggs hatch, the larvae burrow into the host, killing and eating it. I LOVE it when they parasitize Japanese beetles. Yay! Raised white dot(s) on the carapace? You're a goner, beetle!

I wonder if any other substitute is available besides the pleasant ingredient of rotting meat/excrement.

DaveC426913 said:
Yeees...

I like a clean kitchen. That's why I keep a hunk of rotting carcass out to keep the flies under control. (Lord knows, I wouldn't want my kitchen to smell of poo...) :wink:

Your kitchen must be spotless. :rofl:

1. Why are there tiny bugs flying around my sink?

There are likely tiny bugs flying around your sink because it provides a moist and food-rich environment for them to thrive in.

2. Are these tiny bugs harmful?

Most tiny bugs that are commonly found around sinks are not harmful to humans. However, if you have a weakened immune system or allergies, it is best to avoid contact with them.

3. How do I get rid of these tiny bugs?

To get rid of these tiny bugs, you can try cleaning your sink and the surrounding area regularly to remove any food or moisture that may be attracting them. You can also use natural repellents such as vinegar or essential oils.

4. Will these tiny bugs go away on their own?

In most cases, these tiny bugs will go away on their own if you remove their food and moisture sources. However, if the infestation is severe, you may need to take additional measures to get rid of them.

5. How can I prevent these tiny bugs from coming back?

To prevent these tiny bugs from coming back, make sure to keep your sink and surrounding area clean and dry. You can also seal any cracks or openings where they may be entering your home.