Force on a Current-carrying loop

• Thread starter ninjarawr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Loop
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rectangular loop with 4 turns of wire and a current of 2.7 A, placed in a uniform magnetic field of 2.3 × 10-4 T in the x, y, or z direction. The goal is to find the magnitude of torque and force on two sides of the loop. The equation t = NIABsin(theta) is used to find torque, while the equation F=ILBsin(theta) is used to find force. The solution involves using the number of turns in the calculation for both torque and force.
ninjarawr

Homework Statement

A rectanglular loop consists of 4 turns of wire carrying a current of 2.7 A. The loop is in the x-y plane, and the direction of flow of the current is shown in the figure. The loop has dimensions a = 1 cm and b = 6 cm. Consider a uniform magnetic field of strength 2.3 × 10-4 T in x, y, or z directions.

If the uniform field of 2.3 × 10-4 T is along the +x axis, find the magnitude of the torque acting on the loop and the total force on side a and b.

Diagram:
http://uploadpic.org/view-pic.php?img=100601"
http://uploadpic.org/view-pic.php?img=100601

Homework Equations

t = NIABsin(theta)
B=unI (n= # of turns, u = 4 * 3.14 * E-7)
F=ILBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

-I found torque using the above equation, and it was 1.49E-6
-Fb is simply 0 because it is parallel to the magnetic field
-but I have NO IDEA how to solve for Fa. I tried using F=ILBsin(theta), (=2.7*.1m*2.3E-4) and it rejects my answer. I also tried =2.7*.1m*2.3E-4*2.

Please help me find Fa?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you have not used the number of turns in the solution.

rl.bhat said:
you have not used the number of turns in the solution.
I did use it to find torque, but did not use it when finding force. how do I use it in the solution? please tell me.

It will be 4 times the force on each turn.

rl.bhat said:
It will be 4 times the force on each turn.

thanks! that worked for me! But why do we do 4 times for each turn when we are only looking at one side?

ninjarawr said:
thanks! that worked for me! But why do we do 4 times for each turn when we are only looking at one side?

Because each side contains four terns.

What is torque? FXb. In that calculation you have used no. of terns to calculate the force. Same thing is true for Fa.

1. What is the force on a current-carrying loop?

The force on a current-carrying loop is the force experienced by the loop due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the loop. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is given by the formula F = IABsinθ, where I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of force determined on a current-carrying loop?

The direction of the force on a current-carrying loop can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of the hand will point in the direction of the force on the loop.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force on a current-carrying loop?

The magnitude of force on a current-carrying loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the loop, and the size of the loop. Additionally, the angle between the current and the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the magnitude of force.

4. Can the force on a current-carrying loop be used to do work?

Yes, the force on a current-carrying loop can be used to do work. This is because the force is capable of causing a displacement in the loop, which results in the work being done against the magnetic field.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the force on a current-carrying loop?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of the force on a current-carrying loop. Some examples include electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators, where the force on the loop is harnessed to produce motion or to accelerate particles.