How does asthma lead to cyanosis?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary: This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (depending on severity).most of the cases are mild to moderate form and are usually reversible by drugs
sameeralord
As title suggest. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
As title suggest. Thanks :smile:
Through lack of oxygen in the blood I believe! Skin and mucous membranes begin to look bluish!

Thanks for the reply but I think people with ashtma have less problem in inhaltion, but more problem in exhalation. So it is the resultant increase in carbon dioxide shifting the hameoglobin dissociation curve to the right that causes this. I posted this topic to clarify?

sameeralord said:
Thanks for the reply but I think people with ashtma have less problem in inhaltion, but more problem in exhalation. So it is the resultant increase in carbon dioxide shifting the hameoglobin dissociation curve to the right that causes this. I posted this topic to clarify?

No asthma has problem with inhalation also (due to narrowing of bronchi). So there is hypoxia which is why there is cyanosis.

thorium1010 said:
No asthma has problem with inhalation also (due to narrowing of bronchi). So there is hypoxia which is why there is cyanosis.

But when you breathe in don't bronchi dilate, but practically I can see what you are saying is right.

There are more problems associated with exhalation but of course if bronchial muscle tone is high then inhalation rates will also be slowed. But the additional exhalational effects come from the relationship between lung volume and airway diamater.
Incidentally asthmatics are generally not oxygen limited - it is a sign of severe ER requiring asthma if you see a change in blood PO2.
Again - most asthmatics are not hypoxic. This is a severe life threatening situation when an astrhmatic does develop low PO2.

The bottom line here is very simple: hypoxic leukocytes = cynanosis. It doesn't really matter if it's from the binding of cyanide, someone holding a bag over your head, or some fashion in which your breathing is restricted. Unless it's peripheral vasoconstriction... see what mtc1973 said. Oxygenated air being displaced by panic-gasps and poor exhalation can lead to a rapid crisis, but it's uncommon. More often you pass out, and your breathing is still labored, but not smothering.

mtc1973 said:
Incidentally asthmatics are generally not oxygen limited - it is a sign of severe ER requiring asthma if you see a change in blood PO2.
Again - most asthmatics are not hypoxic. This is a severe life threatening situation when an astrhmatic does develop low PO2.
This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (depending on severity).

most of the cases are mild to moderate form and are usually reversible by drugs

Last edited:
mtc1973 said:
There are more problems associated with exhalation but of course if bronchial muscle tone is high then inhalation rates will also be slowed. But the additional exhalational effects come from the relationship between lung volume and airway diamater.

This is exactly what our teacher drummed into our heads today. If you were in class teacher would have been very impressed :smile:

PS: Why didn't you tell this yesterday?

thorium1010 said:
This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (read oxygen saturation).

I think you need to do 2 things.

1.) Consider what is meant by hypoxia in this thread, given that it's in the context of cyanosis.
2.) Tell me if you understand that "PO2" is "oxygen saturation"... pulse oxygen, "pulse ox", that little cute red light thing they put on your finger? Yeah, the "Pulse Oximeter".

nismaratwork said:
I think you need to do 2 things.

1.) Consider what is meant by hypoxia in this thread, given that it's in the context of cyanosis.
2.) Tell me if you understand that "PO2" is "oxygen saturation"... pulse oxygen, "pulse ox", that little cute red light thing they put on your finger? Yeah, the "Pulse Oximeter".

Po2 is partial pressure of oxygen.

oxygen saturation is the not same and yes its read by a pulse oximeter.

i would like to clarify that cyanosis develops only in severe life threatening cases of asthma or acute severe asthma

Last edited:
thorium1010 said:
Po2 is partial pressure of oxygen.

oxygen saturation is the not same and yes its read by a pulse oximeter.

i would like to clarify that cyanosis develops only in severe life threatening cases of asthma or acute severe asthma

re bold: That is EXACTLY what mtc said, and you argued with.

thorium1010 said:
mtc said:

This is not correct . Asthmatics , during an attack of asthma are hypoxic (depending on severity).

most of the cases are mild to moderate form and are usually reversible by drugs

Lovely, we all agree then.

1. How does asthma lead to cyanosis?

During an asthma attack, the airways in the lungs become inflamed and constricted, making it difficult for air to flow in and out of the lungs. This leads to a decrease in oxygen levels in the blood, which can result in cyanosis - a bluish discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes due to lack of oxygen.

2. What causes the decrease in oxygen levels during an asthma attack?

The constriction of the airways in asthma causes a decrease in the amount of air that can enter the lungs. This reduces the surface area available for gas exchange, leading to a decrease in oxygen levels in the blood. In addition, the inflammation in the airways can also cause fluid buildup, further impeding the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide.

3. Is cyanosis always present during an asthma attack?

No, cyanosis is not always present during an asthma attack. It typically occurs in more severe cases or when the attack is prolonged. In some cases, the decrease in oxygen levels may not be significant enough to cause cyanosis, but it is still important to seek medical attention for an asthma attack to prevent further complications.

4. Are there other conditions besides asthma that can cause cyanosis?

Yes, there are other conditions that can also lead to cyanosis. These include heart or lung diseases, anemia, and respiratory infections. Cyanosis can also be a side effect of certain medications. It is important to consult a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis if you are experiencing cyanosis.

5. Can cyanosis be reversed in asthma patients?

Yes, cyanosis can be reversed in asthma patients by promptly treating the asthma attack. This typically involves using an inhaler or nebulizer to deliver medication to open up the airways and reduce inflammation. In severe cases, oxygen therapy may be necessary to increase oxygen levels in the blood. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone else is experiencing cyanosis during an asthma attack.