Photo Contest - Green With Envy (2/26-3/4)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Green With Envy" and is open to anyone interested in photography. To submit a photo, visit the designated website or social media page and follow the instructions. Any photos showcasing the color green are eligible, but make sure to read the guidelines. The deadline for submissions is March 4th, 11:59 PM EST.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Green With Envy

This week's theme is easy. Your photo must have, as its main subject, the color green.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread[/QUOTE]

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
2922z2a.jpg

It's the Emerald swallowtail (Papilio palinurus) taken in Mainau Germany in 2008

The culprit that chopped off several of my pepper plants, posing on his last victim.

horntail_cont.jpg

Only two pictures posted and I'm already having trouble.

Epithelial cells stained with oregon green (actin binding) showing the effect of fluid flow on cell growth and division (image taken at 10X)

[PLAIN]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4889/compositergb.jpg

Edit: pic re-sized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to submit something for this contest but there's no freaken way I can compete with you guys.

Very nice pics. Topher is impressed.

Andre said:
2922z2a.jpg

It's the Emerald swallowtail (Papilio palinurus) taken in Mainau Germany in 2008

Oh wow, Andre. Just...wow.

Is the idea of the contest to make others green with envy, or to post picture of something green with envy? IMHO so far posted pictures fit the first category :wink:

GeorginaS said:
Oh wow, Andre. Just...wow.

Thanks, I should say that's it's not such a big deal. We are fortuned to have several butterfly greenhouses around in western Europe. So I frequent those a lot, take hundreds of pictures and toss ninety five percent of them again. Sometimes you're lucky, like this one. Some butterflies just sit and don't move anymore, probably at high relative age.

This was taken with my first electronic camera, the Panasonic FZ-8 with a close up lens installed, It's one of its last shots for me. I gave it to my sister shortly after that, when I upgraded to a DSLR.

Edit:

The full sized picture is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/green-2.JPG , feel free to download and use it as wall paper or for a big poster size print.

@Borek, I'm symphatizing, but it was the only way to make this pic more topical :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Topher925 said:
I was going to submit something for this contest but there's no freaken way I can compete with you guys.

Ditto. I was going to find something to submit too, but there is no way I could compete either. This one is just out of my league by a couple thousand miles.

Topher925 said:

Andre went macro with a green bug, and I followed suit. Surely, you have a nice "green" pic tucked away somewhere... Jump in!

Right, try to be original, find something original that is not normally green or maybe even go abstract. What does 'green' mean?

We already had "living green" and "green, green grass of home", I am thinking about envy.

Unsuccessful so far :grumpy:

Topher925 said:

Borek said:
Is the idea of the contest to make others green with envy, or to post picture of something green with envy? IMHO so far posted pictures fit the first category :wink:

KrisOhn said:
Ditto. I was going to find something to submit too, but there is no way I could compete either. This one is just out of my league by a couple thousand miles.

Let's not take the 'competition' so seriously! It's about being creative and having fun (at least it is for me).

Ok, I'll give it a shot. This is a pic I took of some squirrel-like critter I found in some woods in New Mexico. Are you green with envy yet?

xpqvqq.jpg

marzena_Green_With_Envy.jpg

Not the clearest shot I've ever taken.. oh well. :tongue:
Green12.jpg

Topher925 said:
Ok, I'll give it a shot. This is a pic I took of some squirrel-like critter I found in some woods in New Mexico. Are you green with envy yet?

In that the photo appears to present a warm sunny day, yes... :)

Less than a day left to submit a photo for this contest. Let's do green!

Zz.

actloj.jpg

Edward - do you REALLY get that many at one time? Our hummingbirds are EXTREMELY territorial, and we have WICKED fights over my feeders...

395527749.jpg

Even though I have all ready picked my winner, I thought I would toss one more into the basket.

Ms Music

The hummingbirds really flock in after a very cold night. There were that many more on another feeder 10 ft away, we counted 22 total. When it comes to survival they apparently agree to disagree.

It was only 18 degrees outside and I don't think that they had enough energy for aerial combat.

I do have a very aggressive little guy that I call Rambo. He feeds at a third feeder in my back yard.

What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Green With Envy", meaning that all submitted photos should showcase the color green in some way.

Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography and meets the submission requirements.

How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, visit the designated website or social media page for the contest and follow the instructions for submitting your entry. This may include uploading your photo and providing some basic information about yourself and the photo.

What type of photos are eligible for the contest?

Any photos that showcase the color green in some way are eligible for the contest. This can include landscapes, portraits, still life, and more. However, please make sure to read the submission guidelines to ensure your photo meets all requirements.

When is the deadline for photo submissions?

The deadline for photo submissions is March 4th, 11:59 PM EST. Any entries submitted after this time will not be considered for the contest.