Sinusoidal Graph - sub intervals

In summary, the student is trying to find the points in between the sin graph, but doesn't know how to do it.
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

I can find the graphs amp and period. The only problem is finding the sub points or sub intervals. Say...

Y = 3 sin (4x)
Amp = 3
Period = 2pi/4 = pi/2

But.. don't know how to get the key points of the sub interval. The textbook says I have to divide interval [0, pi/2] into four sub intervals Each of length pi/2 divided by 4. Then they got (0,0), (pi/8, 3), (pi/4, 0), (3pi/8, -3), (pi/2, 0) I don't understand how they got these. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the base graph y=sin(x) with [itex]0\leq x\leq 2\pi[/itex], It has a value of 0 at [itex]x=0,\pi,2\pi[/itex] and a value of 1 and -1 at [itex]x=\pi/2, 3\pi/2[/itex] respectively.
Basically, every sine graph of the form [itex]y=Asin(Bx)[/itex] will still have this same shape, but the amplitude (A) and period (B) will be different from the base graph y=sin(x).

What you should take away from this is that if the period of sin(x) is [itex]2\pi[/itex], then in between the two ends of the period 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] which is [itex]\pi[/itex], it will also be 0, and in between 0 and its half way mark which is [itex]\pi[/itex] we get the value of its amplitude (in this case 1), and between the half way mark and the end, [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]2\pi[/itex] we get the negative of its amplitude, -1.

Mentallic said:
Draw the base graph y=sin(x) with [itex]0\leq x\leq 2\pi[/itex], It has a value of 0 at [itex]x=0,\pi,2\pi[/itex] and a value of 1 and -1 at [itex]x=\pi/2, 3\pi/2[/itex] respectively.
Basically, every sine graph of the form [itex]y=Asin(Bx)[/itex] will still have this same shape, but the amplitude (A) and period (B) will be different from the base graph y=sin(x).

What you should take away from this is that if the period of sin(x) is [itex]2\pi[/itex], then in between the two ends of the period 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] which is [itex]\pi[/itex], it will also be 0, and in between 0 and its half way mark which is [itex]\pi[/itex] we get the value of its amplitude (in this case 1), and between the half way mark and the end, [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]2\pi[/itex] we get the negative of its amplitude, -1.

Thanks, I know that but I don't know how to get the points in between the sin graph

I know if period = 2 pi then the middle point would me pi, but what if it has a different period. I don't know what to label on the graph on the middle part.

Last edited:
If the period is [itex]2\pi[/itex] then middle is half of that [tex]\frac{2\pi}{2}=\pi[/tex]. If the period is some number x then the middle is x/2.

Ahhh I see now. Thank you my friend.

Good luck! :smile:

What is a sinusoidal graph?

A sinusoidal graph is a type of graph that represents a periodic function, which means that it repeats itself after a certain interval. It is a smooth, curvy line that resembles the shape of a wave. It is commonly used to represent phenomena that occur in a cyclical pattern, such as sound waves, light waves, and electrical currents.

What are the key features of a sinusoidal graph?

The key features of a sinusoidal graph include the amplitude, period, and phase shift. The amplitude is the height of the wave, the period is the length of one complete cycle, and the phase shift is the horizontal displacement of the graph. These features can be used to determine the equation of the sinusoidal function.

How do you find the sub intervals of a sinusoidal graph?

To find the sub intervals of a sinusoidal graph, you need to determine the period of the function. The sub intervals will be equal to one-fourth of the period. For example, if the period is 4, then the sub intervals will be 1. These sub intervals can be used to plot points on the graph and determine the shape of the function.

What is the relationship between the sub intervals and the frequency of a sinusoidal graph?

The frequency of a sinusoidal graph is the number of complete cycles that occur in one unit of time. The sub intervals are inversely proportional to the frequency, which means that as the sub intervals increase, the frequency decreases. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a sinusoidal graph.

How are sinusoidal graphs used in real-life applications?

Sinusoidal graphs are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. They are used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and electrical currents. They are also used in everyday applications, such as designing roller coasters, creating musical instruments, and studying heartbeats and brain waves.