Opinions on Accutane? Hear From Those Who Took It

• Medical
  • Thread starter l-1j-cho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, the conversation is about someone's concerns about taking the medication isotretinoin (accutane) after their dermatologist suggested it as a powerful and effective drug before trying any other medication. However, the person is worried about the potential side effects and is seeking advice from others who have taken the drug. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to read more information about the drug and discuss it with a doctor.
l-1j-cho
hi

I will start taking isotretinoin(accutane) this september. My dermatologist suggested this powerful and effective drug before trying any medication. However, as I explore the side effects of this drug, I am really worried about taking this drug.

Has anyone ever taken this drug? How was your experience?

Biology news on Phys.org
l-1j-cho said:
My dermatologist suggested this powerful and effective drug before trying any medication.

This doesn't make sense to me, isotretinoin is a medication so taking it "before trying any medication" is nonsensical.

I don't think you will find answers here, we do not provide medical diagnosis on Physics Forums: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173247 on this basis it would be irresponsible for people to try and give you medical advice when they are not qualified and do not possesses intimate knowledge of your medical circumstances. I would advise that you go and talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

oops I just want to hear other people's story. sorry

ryan_m_b said:
This doesn't make sense to me, isotretinoin is a medication so taking it "before trying any medication" is nonsensical.

I.

I meant isotretionin is more like a last resort because of it is surely effective but accompanies with side effects (as in relation to other drugs)

l-1j-cho said:
I meant isotretionin is more like a last resort because of it is surely effective but accompanies with side effects (as in relation to other drugs)

Here is a page with detailed information about the drug. Please read it over, and then make an appointment to talk it over with your doctor. Take a copy of the article with you to the appointment, to help you in the discussion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000532/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Accutane and how does it work?

Accutane is the brand name for the generic drug isotretinoin, which is used to treat severe cases of acne. It works by reducing the amount of oil produced by the skin, decreasing inflammation, and preventing the formation of new acne.

Is Accutane safe to use?

Accutane can have serious side effects and should only be used under the supervision of a doctor. It is not recommended for pregnant women, as it can cause birth defects. It can also have other side effects such as dry skin, nosebleeds, and muscle aches.

How long does it take to see results from Accutane?

Most people start to see improvement in their acne within 1-2 months of starting Accutane. However, it can take up to 4-6 months to see the full effects of the medication. It is important to continue taking the medication as prescribed, even if you do not see immediate results.

Can Accutane be used to treat all types of acne?

Accutane is typically reserved for severe cases of acne that have not responded to other treatments. It is not recommended for mild or moderate acne. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine if Accutane is the right treatment for your specific case.

Are there any long-term effects of taking Accutane?

Some studies have shown a possible link between Accutane and an increased risk of depression and inflammatory bowel disease. However, more research is needed to determine if there is a direct causation. It is important to discuss any concerns with a doctor and closely monitor any side effects while taking Accutane.