Inclined Plane Question. What force is necessary to keep the box from sliding?

In summary: I completely misread the question. The minimum magnitude of the force needed to prevent the sled from slipping down the plane is equal to the static frictional force, which is 9.85N. This is because the parallel force (25.85N) is greater than the maximum static frictional force (15.99N), so the sled will not slide down the plane. This also explains why my calculation for Fnet (13.05N) was incorrect, as it was based on the assumption that the sled was already sliding.(b) To start the sled moving up the plane, you need to overcome the static frictional force. This means that the minimum magnitude of the force needed is equal to the static frictional force, which
DavidAp

"A loaded penguin sled weighing 69 N rests on a plane inclined at angle θ = 22° to the horizontal. Between the sled and the plane, the coefficient of static friction is 0.25, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20.

(a) What is the minimum magnitude of the force , parallel to the plane, that will prevent the sled from slipping down the plane?
(b) What is the minimum magnitude F that will start the sled moving up the plane?
(c) Whatvalue of F is required to move the sled up the plane at constant velocity?"

Answers:
(a) 9.85 N
(b) 41.8 N
(c) 38.6 N

Related Equations:
Mk = Ff/N
Ms = Fb/N

I started this problem by finding the normal and parallel force from the inclined plane.
N = 69cos(22) = 63.97N
Fp(arallel) = 69sin(22) = 25.85N

I then checked to see if the force pulling it down, parellel to the inclined plane, was greater or equal to the "budging" force to see if the box was even moving.

Fb = Fn(Ms) = 63.97N(0.25) = 15.99N

Seeing that 25.85N > 15.99N I proceeded to find the kinetic frictional force opposing the parallel force.

Ff = Fn(Mk) = 63.97N(0.2) = 12.97N

Therefore, the net force should be the parallel force pulling the box down the incline minus the kinetic frictional force opposing it.

Fnet = 25.85N - 12.79N = 13.05N

Now, in order to keep the box from sliding down the incline the amount of force I need to push on the box should be equal to the force causing the box to slide down, 13.05. However, the answer is 9.85N... and I'm way off!

What did I do wrong? Obviously something horrible went wrong in either my calculations or in my idea of how to get the answer... probably the latter. Can somebody explain to me what to do? Why what i did here didn't work?

Thank you for taking the time to review my question out of the sea of questions out there, I very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidAp said:

"A loaded penguin sled weighing 69 N rests on a plane inclined at angle θ = 22° to the horizontal. Between the sled and the plane, the coefficient of static friction is 0.25, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20.

(a) What is the minimum magnitude of the force , parallel to the plane, that will prevent the sled from slipping down the plane?
(b) What is the minimum magnitude F that will start the sled moving up the plane?
(c) Whatvalue of F is required to move the sled up the plane at constant velocity?"

Answers:
(a) 9.85 N
(b) 41.8 N
(c) 38.6 N

Related Equations:
Mk = Ff/N
Ms = Fb/N

I started this problem by finding the normal and parallel force from the inclined plane.
N = 69cos(22) = 63.97N
Fp(arallel) = 69sin(22) = 25.85N

I then checked to see if the force pulling it down, parellel to the inclined plane, was greater or equal to the "budging" force to see if the box was even moving.

Fb = Fn(Ms) = 63.97N(0.25) = 15.99N

Seeing that 25.85N > 15.99N I proceeded to find the kinetic frictional force opposing the parallel force.

Ff = Fn(Mk) = 63.97N(0.2) = 12.97N

Therefore, the net force should be the parallel force pulling the box down the incline minus the kinetic frictional force opposing it.

Fnet = 25.85N - 12.79N = 13.05N

Now, in order to keep the box from sliding down the incline the amount of force I need to push on the box should be equal to the force causing the box to slide down, 13.05. However, the answer is 9.85N... and I'm way off!

What did I do wrong? Obviously something horrible went wrong in either my calculations or in my idea of how to get the answer... probably the latter. Can somebody explain to me what to do? Why what i did here didn't work?

Thank you for taking the time to review my question out of the sea of questions out there, I very much appreciate it.

(a) Because you are preventing the sled from moving, you only have to support the static friction.

Thank you so much!

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is angled at an incline. It is often used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move an object.

2. Why is an inclined plane useful?

An inclined plane is useful because it allows us to use less force to move an object. By increasing the distance over which the force is applied, the amount of force needed to move an object decreases.

3. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by using the force of gravity to assist in moving an object. The angled surface of the plane allows the force to be spread out over a larger distance, reducing the amount of force needed to move the object.

4. What force is necessary to keep the box from sliding on an inclined plane?

The force necessary to keep the box from sliding on an inclined plane is the force of friction. Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object and prevents it from sliding down the incline.

5. How can you calculate the force needed to keep the box from sliding on an inclined plane?

The force needed to keep the box from sliding on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force needed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.