What does the frequency representation of a function show?

In summary, The frequency of a non-periodic signal is not restricted to multiples of a fundamental frequency like in a periodic signal. The Fourier transform of a non-periodic function tells you the weight of a given frequency in the composition of the function. When making a Fourier approximation of an arbitrary function, the approximation is made on a specific region of the curve and is treated as one period. Similarly, when analyzing an incoming signal, a fixed-sized window is taken and treated as one period. This is how Fourier analysis works.
Tosh5457
I don't understand what electrical engineers mean by the frequency of a signal... Frequency is the inverse of the period, but they speak of the frequency of non-periodic signals.

I know that I can derive the function using the Fourier transform, I just don't understand what frequency means in this context... For example, why is the Fourier transform of f(x) = 1 is [tex]\hat{f}(\xi )=\delta (\xi)[/tex] (dirac delta)? The only frequency that gives a non-zero value for f is 0, why is that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
f(x) = 1 contains no variable components, so its spectrum is simply the delta function.

Last edited:
mathman said:
f(x) = 1 contains no variable components, so its spectrum is simply the delta function.

I see. But if I'm not mistaken, for f(x) = x, the function is

fˆ(ξ)=δ(ξ)

as well, but the function f(x) has variable components in this case.

The frequency measures the number of occurrences of an event. What's the occurrence in these examples?

Tosh5457 said:
I see. But if I'm not mistaken, for f(x) = x, the function is

fˆ(ξ)=δ(ξ)

as well, but the function f(x) has variable components in this case.

The frequency measures the number of occurrences of an event. What's the occurrence in these examples?

No, that's not correct. For the function f(x) = x, the Fourier transform is the derivative of the delta function. (The Fourier transform in this case must be interpreted as a generalised function aka a distribution).

To understand what the frequency of a non-periodic function is: For periodic functions you can write down a Fourier series; that is, the function can be written as the sum of infinitely many sinusoids. However, the frequencies of the sinusoids are restricted to multiples of the fundamental frequency of that function. For a non-periodic function, the Fourier transform is the same idea, except that now any frequency is possible because there is no fundamental frequency. The Fourier transform is essentially the coefficient in the Fourier series, and it tells you the weight of a given frequency in the composition of the non-periodic function.

Mute said:
No, that's not correct. For the function f(x) = x, the Fourier transform is the derivative of the delta function. (The Fourier transform in this case must be interpreted as a generalised function aka a distribution).

To understand what the frequency of a non-periodic function is: For periodic functions you can write down a Fourier series; that is, the function can be written as the sum of infinitely many sinusoids. However, the frequencies of the sinusoids are restricted to multiples of the fundamental frequency of that function. For a non-periodic function, the Fourier transform is the same idea, except that now any frequency is possible because there is no fundamental frequency. The Fourier transform is essentially the coefficient in the Fourier series, and it tells you the weight of a given frequency in the composition of the non-periodic function.

Oh yes that's right, it's the derivative of delta, my mistake.

Ok I understand. Just one thing: what coefficient of the Fourier series are you talking about? an, bn or [tex]\frac{nπ}{L}[/tex]?

Last edited:
I have a possible misconception that relates to the OP, and that maybe someone can clarify. I thought that, when making a Fourier approximation of an arbitrary, non-periodic function, you would make the approximation on a specific region of the curve (for example, with x in the interval [-2,2], or whatever)... and imagine this curve segment as "one period" of a (nonexistent) periodic function that would repeat over and over this curve segment. Similarly, when analyzing an incoming, "data-stream-like" signal, you would take a fixed-sized "window" on that data, and treat it again like "one period". Is this how Fourier analysis is supposed to work, or am I too far off?

What does the frequency representation of a function show?

The frequency representation of a function shows the distribution of the function's values across different frequencies. In other words, it shows how much of each frequency is present in the function.

How is the frequency representation of a function different from the time-domain representation?

The time-domain representation of a function shows the values of the function over time, while the frequency representation shows the distribution of the function's values across different frequencies. They are two different ways of understanding the same function.

Why is the frequency representation of a function important?

The frequency representation of a function is important because it helps us understand the different components that make up the function. It can also reveal patterns and relationships that may not be apparent in the time-domain representation.

What types of functions can have a frequency representation?

Any function that is periodic can have a frequency representation. This includes functions such as sinusoidal waves, square waves, and triangle waves. Non-periodic functions, such as random noise, do not have a frequency representation.

How is the frequency representation of a function calculated?

The frequency representation of a function is calculated using a mathematical tool called the Fourier transform. This transforms the function from the time-domain to the frequency domain, allowing us to see the distribution of frequencies present in the function.