Original Maxwell equations versus todays version

In summary, the modern form of Maxwell's equations, as we know them today, differ from the original equations developed by Maxwell in that they have been condensed from 20 equations to just 6. This was due to the development of vector calculus, which allowed for a more concise and elegant representation of the equations. However, some argue that the original form of 20 equations provided a more detailed and physical understanding of the equations. Additionally, many EE textbooks do not delve deeply into the theory behind Maxwell's equations, and it is recommended to study both an EE and physics textbook on the subject to fully grasp the concepts.
Firefox123
How does todays "modern" form of Maxwells equations differ from the original equations Maxwell developed and why?

If this should be in the physics section...please move it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have example? I am no expert in Maxwell's equations, but I have seen only one version. There are four main one and two others that are a continuity equation and force equation.

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec E =\frac{\rho_v}{\epsilon}\;\hbox{ (1).}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec B=0\;\hbox{ (2).}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec E = -\frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}\;\hbox{ (3).}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec B = \mu \vec J + \mu \frac{\partial D}{\partial t}\;\hbox{ (4).}[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec J = -\frac{\partial \rho_v}{\partial t}\;\hbox{ Continuity equation.}[/tex]
[tex]\vec F=q(\vec E + \vec u \times \vec B)\;\hbox{ where u is the velocity. Lorentz force equation.}[/tex]

Yes Classical Physics section is a better place. When I was studying EM and ED, I was there all the time. BUT I do like to follow up with this as I am very interested in EM or ED.

Last edited:
Thanks for a history lesson. Books does not talk about this. I actually though those are originated from the modern Maxwell's equations that I posted.

I so wish they emphasize more on the

[tex]\vec J_{tot}= \vec J_{free} + \frac{\partial \vec D}{\partial t}\;\hbox { and } \nabla \times \vec H = \vec J_{tot}[/tex]

Took me a long time to realize this. Maybe the professor emphasize in the class but I never attended a class and only study on my own. Actually I learn the first time from the video lecture of IIT ( India Institute of Technology) professor of the free charge, free current vs bounded charge.

This is really enlightening for me. I actually like the old form of 20 equations because it really is more detail and you can see the wave equations, total charges and current in a more physical way. It just give me a whole different light of where all these come from and I think it would be easier to understand than the modern form of the six equation and derive the 20 out of it. There comes a point that it is too condensed for people to really appreciate the total significance of the six equations in the modern form.

Last edited:
yungman said:
There comes a point that it is too condensed for people to really appreciate the total significance of the six equations in the modern form.

I agree with this. This is why it is important to work out real problems - so you can see how the different quantities work together and get a physical feel for what the equations mean.

This is really a "light bulb" moment for me. I even have all the 6 modern Maxwell's eq. written with the rest of the 20 in a two pages summary in my note book how to derive from the modern six to the 20 or so. Now I have to go back a revise that it's from the 20 derive back to the condensed 6. This is important stuff on how did they all began.

I love to studying EM ( I am not sick!:rofl:). I followed San Jose State and studied book by Ulaby and worked out all the problems and their finals. Did not feel like I learn anything. Then I re-studied "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" by David K Cheng. It is a much more advance EE electromagnetics, but still I did not feel it. Finally I bite the bullet and studied Griffiths. After three go around, I think I start to get the feel of it.

Problem with EE EM books are they try not to get into the detail of the EM theory and Maxwell's eq. They all try to get by with minimal explanation. I have like 8 books on EM and none of the EE books do a good job. Griffiths get deeper into it. But Griffiths lack the phasors, transmission lines and Smith Charts that are so so important for EE. I my opinion, student don't really get the basics until they study at least one EE and one Physic EM book.

My dream is one day, I can conquer the "Classical Electrodynamics" by JD Jackson. But that is still quite far as I still need to study Complex Analysis, Numerical Analysis, a little Real Analysis and Green's Function to get ready.

Last edited:
Firefox123 said:
How does todays "modern" form of Maxwells equations differ from the original equations Maxwell developed and why?

Please take care to post schoolwork questions in the Homework Help forums, and show your attempt at a solution (your work) before asking for help.

Thread moved to HH.

berkeman said:
Please take care to post schoolwork questions in the Homework Help forums, and show your attempt at a solution (your work) before asking for help.

Thread moved to HH.

This is not a homework question...I am not a student.

Please refer to the PM I sent you a few moments ago.

Firefox123 said:

Firefox123 said:
This is not a homework question...I am not a student.

Please refer to the PM I sent you a few moments ago.

Fair enough. But you have been at the PF long enough to know how we handle posts that sound like schoolwork:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=373889

Your OP was too incomplete for its purpose. Please in the future spell out what your intention is in making a post like this. With the background you gave me in your PM, if that had been posted with your OP, there would have been no question where this belonged. I will move this thread back to the technical physics forums now.

What are the original Maxwell equations?

The original Maxwell equations were a set of four equations developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century to describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. They are known as Gauss's law, Faraday's law, Ampere's law, and the continuity equation.

How do the original Maxwell equations differ from today's version?

The original Maxwell equations were modified and expanded upon by other scientists, including Oliver Heaviside and Heinrich Hertz, to include the concept of displacement current and better explain electromagnetic phenomena. The resulting set of equations, known as the Maxwell-Hertz equations, are the ones commonly used in modern physics.

Why were the original Maxwell equations modified?

The original Maxwell equations were found to have inconsistencies and limitations, particularly in regards to the behavior of electromagnetic waves. The modifications made by Heaviside and Hertz helped to resolve these issues and provide a more complete understanding of electromagnetism.

Which version of the Maxwell equations is more accurate?

Both the original Maxwell equations and the Maxwell-Hertz equations are considered accurate and valid in their respective contexts. The original equations are still used in certain situations, such as in circuit analysis, while the modified equations are used in more advanced applications, such as in the study of electromagnetic waves.

How do the original Maxwell equations impact modern science?

The original Maxwell equations laid the foundation for our understanding of electricity and magnetism, and their impact can be seen in many modern technologies, including radios, cell phones, and computers. They also paved the way for further advancements in physics, such as the development of Einstein's theory of relativity.