Maximum Static Force before Blocks Slip

In summary, there are two blocks, one weighing 6.40kg and the other weighing 12.5kg, with a frictionless interface between the lower block and the table. There is friction between the two blocks, with coefficients of static friction μs and kinetic friction μk. When a horizontal force F is applied to the upper block, both blocks accelerate with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. To find the force at the point when the blocks start to slip, the normal force must first be determined and then used to calculate the frictional forces. The force should act on the upper block, which is essentially one large block with the lower block when the blocks start to slip.
patchums
An 6.40kg block rests on a 12.5kg block. The interface between the lower mass and the table is frictionless, but there is friction (static friction μs and kinetic friction μk) between the two blocks. A horizontal force F acts on the upper block and causes both blocks to accelerate. The acceleration of both blocks when they begin to slip is 2.0 m/s2.

fk=μkFN
fs=μsFN

I guess I have no idea how to start with this question. Am I supposed to find the normal force first and work from there? Where do I even go from there? Any help would be appreciated, thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
patchums said:
An 6.40kg block rests on a 12.5kg block. The interface between the lower mass and the table is frictionless, but there is friction (static friction μs and kinetic friction μk) between the two blocks. A horizontal force F acts on the upper block and causes both blocks to accelerate. The acceleration of both blocks when they begin to slip is 2.0 m/s2.

fk=μkFN
fs=μsFN

I guess I have no idea how to start with this question. Am I supposed to find the normal force first and work from there? Where do I even go from there? Any help would be appreciated, thanks much!

You haven't stated what it is you're trying to find...

Aw geez, sorry. I have to find the force at the time when the blocks start to slip.

patchums said:
Aw geez, sorry. I have to find the force at the time when the blocks start to slip.

Okay, so immediately before the blocks begin to slip they are essentially one large block...

Try to imagine by sitting on the lower block. What you see? Where should the force act?

1. What is maximum static force before blocks slip?

The maximum static force before blocks slip is the amount of force that can be applied to a stationary object before it begins to move or slip. It is an important measure in determining the stability and strength of structures and objects.

2. How is the maximum static force before blocks slip calculated?

The maximum static force before blocks slip is calculated by dividing the coefficient of static friction (μ) by the normal force (N). This can be represented by the equation Fmax = μN, where Fmax is the maximum static force and N is the normal force exerted on the object.

3. What factors can affect the maximum static force before blocks slip?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum static force before blocks slip, including the coefficient of static friction, the weight and surface area of the object, and the surface material the object is resting on. Other factors such as temperature and surface roughness can also play a role.

4. Why is the maximum static force before blocks slip important to know?

Knowing the maximum static force before blocks slip is important for ensuring the safety and stability of structures and objects. It can also help engineers and designers determine the appropriate materials and design for a particular application.

5. How can the maximum static force before blocks slip be increased?

The maximum static force before blocks slip can be increased by increasing the coefficient of static friction, increasing the normal force, or by using materials with better grip or friction properties. Additionally, reducing any sources of friction, such as surface roughness, can also help increase the maximum static force.