by Amir H.Saba
Tags: π, field, magnetic
Share this thread:
Amir H.Saba
Mar8-12, 11:33 AM
P: 2
Hi
as you know according to ampere's law ∫B.dl=μ0I
but why μ0 that appears in Maxwell's equations is exactly 4π *10-7 ?
for example in electric field ε0 is 8.85 *10-12
and μ0 like ε0 is a constant that is related to material properties and why this constant is a special number as π that B is special ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
tiny-tim
Mar8-12, 12:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Amir! Welcome to PF!
From the PF Library on magnetic field
What is 0?

o is the conversion factor between tesla ([itex]T\ =\ N/A.m[/itex]) and amp-turns per metre ([itex]A/m[/itex]): so it has units of [itex]N/A^2[/itex].
Why isn't o = 1 N/A2 (so that it needn't be mentioned)?

well, it would be , buuuut

i] in SI units, a factor of 4π keeps cropping up! so we multiply by 4π

ii] that would make the amp that current which in a pair of wires a metre apart would produce a force between them of 2 N/m

which would make most electrical appliances run on micro-amps!

so, for practical convenience only, we make o 107 smaller, and the amp 107 larger!

(so the amp is that current which in a pair of wires a metre apart would produce a force between them of 2 10-7 N/m, and o is 4π 10-7 N/A2 (= 4π 10-7 H/m))

(for historical details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_constant)
(And the electric constant (permittivity of free space), [itex]\varepsilon_o[/itex], is defined as 1/0c, = 107/4πc C/Nm (or F/m).)
Amir H.Saba
Mar8-12, 02:57 PM
P: 2
yes, your sentences is true ,but my query is that π is a number that related to sphere.but o is a constant that related to environment.and why is a special number that has π ?
o is exactly 4π 10^-7 but if it is a constant about environment , why it is exactly a special number ? I think it should related to microscopic vacuum properties ,if isn't it ,why for other environments is not 4π *10^-7 ? and is a other number? but for free space is a special number like π !
sorry for my english is not good.

tiny-tim
Mar8-12, 03:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Magnetic field and π

Quote Quote by Amir H.Saba View Post
yes, your sentences is true ,but my query is that π is a number that related to sphere.but o is a constant that related to environment.and why is a special number that has π ?
No, o is not related to the environment.

o is simply the conversion factor between tesla and amp-turns per metre.

(of course, (for a material) is related to the material)

The 4π is a standard factor in SI units, since it naturally relates the strength of a source to its flux (because the field from the source spread out over an area 4πr2 instead of r2).

Register to reply