What is our perpective, where did it start, and why can we see it?

• Thread starter Dokshifty
  • Start date
In summary: It is the post that's worth reading on that link, the rest is a discussion of expanding a 3+1 dimensional universe in various ways. In summary, The Universe began with the "big bang", with light appearing around 400k years later. After 9 billion years, the first stars formed and now we are at 14 billion years after the big bang. The Universe expanded uniformly, but not faster than light. This means that light passed us even though it was created after the expansion began. The first light did not expand from a single starting point, as there is no center or starting point in the Universe. Our observations of the Universe are from our position within it, as there are no edges or boundaries. The observable universe
Dokshifty
Everything had it's start in the "big bang". Then light began at around 400k years after. Then 9 bil years after that the first stars formed, and we now are at 14 bil years after the big bang. Correct? Everything moved at the same rate away from centre, but not faster than light? This means light past us even though the universe expanded before light was created? Does this mean that the first light expanded out in a uniform bubble from a single start point? Could you look at this as a 2D skin like a bubble that is expanding out that we can observe from the inside? If so were does that place us inside the bubble? Also I have heard that everything is moving away from us and everything is moving away from everything else. If this is true then how can we place our position is relation to a centre if there is one. Obviously we are not the centre the same as we are not the centre of our solar system or the centre of the milky way. If we have only a limited viewing distance from our point of view how can we know where the inside of the bubble is in all directions. Assuming we are not the centre.

Edit: I just read that the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. Is this true? If so how is this possible? If it is true then this does answer some of my questions, but also raises many more.

If this has been discussed before link threads. I am very new to this subject. I am sorry

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Dokshifty said:
Everything had it's start in the "big bang". Then light began at around 400k years after.

No, light started earlier than that, but it could not escape the plasma of the early universe. At 400K years, THEN it could escape.

Then 9 bil years after that the first stars formed, and we now are at 14 bil years after the big bang. Correct?
Stars formed earlier than 9B years. OUR galaxy of stars formed at about 9B years.

Everything moved at the same rate away from centre, but not faster than light?
There IS no center. Never has been. During inflation, stuff moved away from each other MUCH faster than the speed of light but that is NOT that they were moving that fast relative to each other IN space but rather that space itself was expanding. You should read about inflation.

This means light past us even though the universe expanded before light was created?
Don't have any idea what you mean here.

Does this mean that the first light expanded out in a uniform bubble from a single start point?
NO. There IS no center. No "starting POINT". The expansion happened everywhere at once. Do not think of it as a normal explosion.

Could you look at this as a 2D skin like a bubble that is expanding out that we can observe from the inside? If so were does that place us inside the bubble?
There is no inside and outside

Also I have heard that everything is moving away from us and everything is moving away from everything else. If this is true then how can we place our position is relation to a centre if there is one.
It is true and there IS no center.

Obviously we are not the centre the same as we are not the centre of our solar system or the centre of the milky way. If we have only a limited viewing distance from our point of view how can we know where the inside of the bubble is in all directions. Assuming we are not the centre.
There is no center

If this has been discussed before link threads.
It has all been discussed THOUSANDS of times. Do a forum search. Better still, start off by reading the FAQs in the Cosmology section.

So the Universe has no edges, it did not expand from a single point, and we are just making observations from our position within it? If so, that explains much, and I will read about inflation. Thank you.

Dokshifty said:
So the Universe has no edges, it did not expand from a single point, and we are just making observations from our position within it? If so, that explains much, and I will read about inflation. Thank you.

That is correct. The part we can see is called the "Observable Universe"

phinds said:
OUR galaxy of stars formed at about 9B years.

I expect that was just a typo, our Solar System formed 4.5 billion years ago at a cosmic age of around 9.2 billion years, the galaxy overall is much (around 2.5 times) older.

Our galaxy formed not all that long after the big bang. Massive, young galaxies appear to be rare.

GeorgeDishman said:
I expect that was just a typo, our Solar System formed 4.5 billion years ago at a cosmic age of around 9.2 billion years, the galaxy overall is much (around 2.5 times) older.

DOH ! I knew that & got myself confused. Thanks for the correction.

The OP should read the Balloon Analogy sticky to get a better picture of how the universe expands and of our place in it.

bapowell said:
The OP should read the Balloon Analogy sticky to get a better picture of how the universe expands and of our place in it.

I have some concerns about that, it's the last post on the thread at the moment (#238).

1. What is our perspective?

Our perspective refers to the way in which we view and interpret the world around us. It is shaped by our experiences, beliefs, and cultural background.

2. Where did it start?

Our perspective can be traced back to the development of our brains and cognitive abilities. It is also influenced by our upbringing and the society we live in.

3. Why can we see it?

We are able to see our perspective because it is a result of our conscious and unconscious thoughts, emotions, and biases. It affects the way we perceive and make sense of the world.

4. How does our perspective impact us?

Our perspective plays a significant role in shaping our beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors. It can influence our relationships, decision-making, and overall well-being.

5. Can our perspective change?

Yes, our perspective can change and evolve over time. It can be influenced by new experiences, knowledge, and exposure to different perspectives. It is important to be open-minded and willing to challenge our own perspectives in order to grow and learn.