Is Soy Milk Safe for Men? Separating Fact from Fiction

• Medical
  • Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, there is debate about soy milk and its effects on men's health, but from the sources I've looked into, it does not appear to have any negative effects. There is still some unknown about the long term effects of soy consumption, but for the average man, it would be more beneficial to reduce fat instead of avoiding soy.
Topher925
Hi, my name is Topher, I'm a guy, and I love to drink soy milk.

Over the weekend a friend of mine told me that drinking soy milk is bad for men's health because it contains high amounts of estrogen. By introducing large amounts of estrogen into my body I could possibly grow breasts or become infertile. I'm always very skeptical of such statements so I decided to do a little research.

In summary, I've found that there's a lot of debate about soy milk and other soy products. However from the more credible sources I've investigated, it seems that there is no data to support soy products negatively affecting men's health. Apparently, soy doesn't even contain estrogen but phytoestrogens. A chemical with a structure similar to the human hormone estrogen but only found in plants. Its metabolized quite differently than estrogen and has really only been found to have positive effects on health. But, there's still a lot of other sources out there that have a different opinion and claim that the long term effects of soy products is still unknown.

So should I stop drinking soy milk? I haven't had my period yet or have a strong yearning to buy shoes and pretty things so I think I'm safe so far. I don't think I could give up tofu or veggie burgers though. I'm thinking I'll give almond milk a try.

Biology news on Phys.org
Almond milk is *awesome*, I love it :!). It almost makes me wish I was lactose intolerant, haha.

Yeah I've heard the same info about soy and estrogen. I'd like to hear what the medicos here say about it.

I've also heard consuming a lot of soy makes you love cats, but that's just a rumor :wink:.

Topher925 said:
...and I love to drink soy milk.
Then you should look great, your facial skin is just bright and soft. It helps your heart and prevent aging too.

Over the weekend a friend of mine told me that drinking soy milk is bad for men's health because it contains high amounts of estrogen. By introducing large amounts of estrogen into my body I could possibly grow breasts or become infertile. I'm always very skeptical of such statements so I decided to do a little research.
I guess soy milk doesn't directly contain estrogen, it contains its metabolites which help our bodies secrete estrogen. And before you can grow your breasts, you would die of other causes owing to an excessive amount of soy milk intake.
In summary, I've found that there's a lot of debate about soy milk and other soy products. However from the more credible sources I've investigated, it seems that there is no data to support soy products negatively affecting men's health. Apparently, soy doesn't even contain estrogen but phytoestrogens. A chemical with a structure similar to the human hormone estrogen but only found in plants. Its metabolized quite differently than estrogen and has really only been found to have positive effects on health. But, there's still a lot of other sources out there that have a different opinion and claim that the long term effects of soy products is still unknown.
Yes, soy milk reduces men's sexual urge but does not kill it.

I'm thinking I'll give almond milk a try.

I personally love all types of milk, a big glass of soy milk + 2 big glasses of normal cow's milk
after each meal is a lot beneficial for health.

Yes soy milk contains phytoestrogens.

Men produce estrogen (estradiol) via testosterone in the hormonal cascade.
http//www.sugars4life.com/images/hormone-cascade.jpg

Fat is estrogenic too, and I think for the average man reducing fat is far more important than avoiding soy. 'Man boobs' is not just a product of being fat, but of the fat cells helping produce more estrogen. Bodybuilders are obsessed with this & even use aromatase inhibitors (temixifan) to block estrogen when taking anabolic steroids.

Topher925 said:
mine told me that drinking soy milk is bad for men's health because it contains high amounts of estrogen. By introducing large amounts of estrogen into my body I could possibly grow breasts or become infertile.
What your friend told you is not true, at least there is no evidence for the statements:

Estrogens and phytoestrogens in male infertility. Curr Opin Urol. 2011 Nov;21(6):519-26.
Although possible negative impact of industrial chemicals and male fertility is an important issue on the research agenda, so far, it has no clinical implications.

Soy protein formulas in children: no hormonal effects in long-term feeding. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Feb;17(2):191-6.
We conclude that long-term feeding with soy protein formulas in early life does not seem to produce oestrogen-like hormonal effects.

Last edited:
Monique, I would love to access your second reference (j Paed E M etc) but can't get past the guard dog.

I am interested because my daughter grew up on soy instead of cow's milk as a precaution against later allergies.

Incidentally I can confirm that this effect was noticeable by its absence.

Then you should look great, your facial skin is just bright and soft. It helps your heart and prevent aging too

Not without spending $42.

You have a PM.

Topher925 said:
Hi, my name is Topher, I'm a guy, and I love to drink soy milk.

So should I stop drinking soy milk? I haven't had my period yet or have a strong yearning to buy shoes and pretty things so I think I'm safe so far. I don't think I could give up tofu or veggie burgers though. I'm thinking I'll give almond milk a try.

We were taught in medical school that the phytoestrogens in soy have negligible effects on health--be that adverse affects on men's health or protective effect on women's health (some women use soy to help "guard" against osteoporosis post-menopause). I agree with phylotree, I suspect before you could see an affect of phytoestrogens from soy, you'd get other toxic effects from the amount you'd need to ingest. The liver is actually incredible at metabolizing and busting up steroids. Which is why the oral contraceptives companies have to go to such great lengths to find estrogens with good bioavailablity.

The person doing the teaching was a professor of pharmacology who does nothing but "natural supplement" investigation. She'd actually helped in a study on the protective effects (or rather lack) phytoestrogens in soy supplements on women's health. She had a lot of references of published data for it--So it seems to be one of the rather more well researched "natural" supplement product claims. Pubmed is probably your best bet for finding more information. If you are having trouble finding more details send me a PM in 2 weeks and I'll dig through some binders and find the references she gave (boards coming up so no time now).

I have a question here. Does ingesting things that can help your body create more of a certain chemical necessarily mean that it *will* create more? I would guess that it wouldn't, but I just wanted to make sure. In the case of soy milk, even if it does have phytoestrogens does that mean that your body will create more estrogen?

The idea is that phytoestrogen are structurally similar to estrogen and could thus mimic its actions in humans, not necessarily that it's converted into estrogen. I think the literature points in the direction that phytoestrogens actually reduce the effect of estrogen, by competition. While estrogens contribute to an increased breast cancer risk, phytoestrogens contribute to a reduced breast cancer risk and are a target for therapy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22583409.1

Ah ok, that makes sense Monique.

dude no big deal a little plant estrogen isn't going to change that much. And it's NOT LOADED with estrogen. Soy is still going to be break down and used for other stuff mostly

ApplePion said:
There are some studies suggesting soy damages the brain, in particular causing increased brain aging. (There are others with contradictory results) One of the theories is that the culprit is phytoestrogens. This would be consistent with the empirical fact that women have a higher rate of Alzheimer's.

Here are links to abstracts from some of these studies

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028134626.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18583909

sure then you do a meta analysis you find all the men in these studies died of heart attack years prior and were excluded from the studies

I don't think there is anything horribly wrong with drinking soy milk, but there's nothing really good about it either.

Drink it if you like it, but don't drink it for medical reasons.

"I don't think there is anything horribly wrong with drinking soy milk, but there's nothing really good about it either."

Do you have actual medical studies to back up your beliefs?

1. Is soy milk a healthier alternative to cow's milk?

Soy milk is often considered a healthier alternative to cow's milk because it is lower in calories, contains no cholesterol, and is a good source of protein. However, it is important to note that soy milk does not naturally contain as many nutrients as cow's milk, such as calcium and vitamin D. Many brands of soy milk are fortified with these nutrients, so be sure to check the label.

2. Is soy milk safe to consume for people with soy allergies?

No, soy milk is not safe for people with soy allergies. Soy is one of the top eight allergens and can cause severe reactions in those who are allergic. It is important to read labels and avoid soy milk if you have a soy allergy.

3. Can drinking soy milk help with weight loss?

Soy milk is lower in calories and fat than cow's milk, which can make it a good option for those trying to lose weight. It also contains protein and fiber, which can help keep you feeling fuller for longer. However, it is important to remember that weight loss ultimately depends on overall calorie intake and exercise, not just one food or beverage.

4. Does soy milk contain estrogen?

Some people are concerned about the phytoestrogens found in soy milk (plant compounds that mimic estrogen in the body), but the research is inconclusive on whether they have any significant hormonal effects. The amount of phytoestrogens in soy milk is much lower than the amount of estrogen produced naturally in the body, so it is unlikely to have any negative effects on hormone levels.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with drinking soy milk?

For most people, drinking soy milk is perfectly safe. However, some studies have suggested that consuming large amounts of soy products may increase the risk of certain health issues, such as breast cancer and thyroid problems. More research is needed to fully understand the potential risks, but it is recommended to consume soy products in moderation as part of a balanced diet.