Failing and how to deal with it

by TronicGuy
Tags: failure
Share this thread:
TronicGuy
Jul13-12, 01:44 AM
P: 1
Hi there.

I recently just received my results (situated in SA) and for the first time, I've FAILED a module! I feel heartbroken about it, mostly because I know I didn't work hard enough and it eats at me that things could have been different had I only studied.

I realized my problem is that I don't focus enough and I spend the minimum time on my work. I also get burnt out very quickly.

I feel so distraught having to repeat a module I could have passed the 1st time round.

Now that I have failed though, I feel I need to prove to myself that I can pull off straight A's next semester. What can I do to help stay more focused? I really need tips from someone who has been through a similar experience.

Regards
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Choppy
Jul13-12, 06:52 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,725
I strongly suspect you already know the answer to this.

You need to take a good look at what you're doing. There are all sorts of reasons for having trouble with motivation. Is this a maturity issue? Are you over-committed? What about general health factors (eating right, exercise, sleep)? Why are you in the program you're in?
E_M_C
Jul13-12, 07:26 AM
P: 47
Choppy hit the nail on the head. Proper diet, schedule and exercise is critical to your success.

Additionally, it may be helpful to find a quiet and secluded place, and make a list of all of your distractions. Write down every single thing that conflicts with your goal. Knowing your weaknesses is half the battle.

chiro
Jul13-12, 09:23 AM
P: 4,573
Failing and how to deal with it

As long as you use it as a learning experience and build on from that, this is the main thing.

Remember what makes the character of a person is how they deal with things when they go all bad, not when they are going right. It's easy to deal with things that are good, but its a real test of character when things are not going good.
jbrussell93
Jul13-12, 10:29 AM
P: 374
In light of your situation, I took 19 hours last semester and got burnt out pretty quickly, but looking back I now know why. This may help with your situation and it may not but for me, I found that I lost sight of why I was even going to school in the first place. My first semester I had no expectations grades wise and so all I was focused on was immersing myself in the material and LEARNING. I absolutely loved it, was very motivated, and did well. Come second semester, I felt that I HAD to get straight A's so I was no longer learning for the enjoyment of learning, but I was just "going through the motions" to get A's. I lost motivation and sight of why I wanted to go to school and it became a competition rather than a journey. When you are enjoying what you're learning, then you will actually WANT to study. Don't worry about grades so much as actually learning the material and the good grades will come along with it. Hope this helps...
plife
Jul13-12, 12:23 PM
P: 31
jbrussell93 - Inspiring post and excellent advice!

Register to reply