Helpful Hints about everyday things

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to leave your laptop at home, you should put it in a backpack or leave it at home. If you're going to be outside for a while, dress appropriately for the cold weather.
Drakkith
Mentor
"Helpful Hints" about everyday things

Ok...everyone list a few "Helpful Hints" about everyday things.
For example:

Put things you want to remember to take with you the next morning on top of your shoes.

Use the "Power" feature on your microwave and set it to 50%-70% to avoid having food pop and explode everywhere. (Much more effective if your microwave has an inverter)

When putting more hot water in your bathtub, use one hand to circulate the water for even heating.

Your turn!

Physics news on Phys.org

I really like suggestion 1.

Here's one. If you're stuck in a traffic jam, don't speed up, break, etc. Maintain a slow constant speed. You'll save gas, and move just as fast as everybody else. People will initially honk at you, but if you stick to your guns, you can break up the traffic a little around you, especially if other people start to emulate your example. I find this is also much less stressful then the "stop and go" method.

Galteeth said:
I really like suggestion 1.

Here's one. If you're stuck in a traffic jam, don't speed up, break, etc. Maintain a slow constant speed. You'll save gas, and move just as fast as everybody else. People will initially honk at you, but if you stick to your guns, you can break up the traffic a little around you, especially if other people start to emulate your example. I find this is also much less stressful then the "stop and go" method.
Oh no, are you the one ahead of me that drives slow in a jam and people keep cutting in front of you so that I finally have to make a desperate/dangerous move to get out from behind you so I can make some progress?

Drakkith said:
Ok...everyone list a few "Helpful Hints" about everyday things.
For example:

Put things you want to remember to take with you the next morning on top of your shoes.

Use the "Power" feature on your microwave and set it to 50%-70% to avoid having food pop and explode everywhere. (Much more effective if your microwave has an inverter)

When putting more hot water in your bathtub, use one hand to circulate the water for even heating.

Your turn!

I regularly use suggestions two and three, and I use a modified version of your first suggestion.

I often keep my shoes/snow boots outside my door, so leaving my laptop by my boots is not advisable. I carry a backpack to and from work everyday, and I put stuff that I don't want to forget on/in my backpack the night before.

I walk 20 - 25 minutes to a coffee shop every morning, and, before I leave, I check the weather, so that I know what to wear. Appropriate dress is the key to an enjoyable walk; inappropriate dress makes a much bigger difference for a 25 minute walk than it does for a 25 minute "indoor" car ride!

I don't mind if the temperature is -30 C (-22 F) or colder, as long as I am wearing a sweater and my warmest coat (parka). If however, the temperature is only -10 C (14 F), then a sweater and my parker is far too warm.

Now where did I put those shoes?

1. How can I remove stains from my clothes?

One helpful hint for removing stains from clothes is to immediately blot the stain with a clean cloth or paper towel. Then, apply a stain remover or a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes before washing the garment as usual.

2. What is the best way to keep fruits and vegetables fresh?

To keep fruits and vegetables fresh, it's important to store them properly. Some helpful hints include keeping them in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator, storing them in airtight containers, and avoiding washing them until you are ready to eat them.

3. How can I prevent my silverware from tarnishing?

To prevent silverware from tarnishing, try storing them in tarnish-resistant bags or wrapping them in acid-free tissue paper. Another helpful hint is to avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals and moisture, as these can cause tarnishing.

4. What is the best way to unclog a sink or drain?

One simple and effective way to unclog a sink or drain is to use a mixture of equal parts baking soda and vinegar. Pour the mixture down the drain, let it sit for a few minutes, then flush with hot water. You can also try using a plunger or a plumbing snake for tougher clogs.

5. How can I remove odors from my refrigerator?

To remove odors from your refrigerator, try wiping down the interior with a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. You can also leave an open box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb any lingering odors. Additionally, make sure to regularly clean out expired or spoiled food to prevent odors from building up.