What skills do puzzles in programming develop?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, puzzles teach you how to analyze a problem, develop effective strategies, and translate those strategies into code. They also help you to develop your logical thinking skills.
jd12345
I have been solving some programming questions and all are some sort of puzzles?
What are they trying to teach us with puzzles? What skills are they trying to develop by solving puzzles?

Technology news on Phys.org
Logical thinking.

What logical thinking is required in software development and other stuff?

The puzzles aim to let you develop your ability to analyze a problem and develop one or effective strategies for solving them and translating those strategies into algorithms and then implement those algorithms in code. Programming puzzles may target particular data structures or programming methods (eg, matrix algebra or optimization)

jd12345 said:
What logical thinking is required in software development and other stuff?

When you see some of the code written by "professionals", you might think the answer as "none whatever" ...

But seriously, the puzzles may also be testing that you REALLY understand what the programming language means, as well as your "logical thinking" skills.

For example
Code:
void swapsigns{int i, int j}
{
  if (i = j)
    i = -i;
    j = -j;
}
Is a perfectly legal C function, but it probably doesn't do what its author intended, for at least three reasons.

A possible advantage is that the answer doesn't always lie an internet search away. If you want to make your students think to eventually get the programming mindset needed, you can easily make up an original question that must be thought out instead of copied from some programming forum.

The same can't be done with practical questions because by definition practical questions are common and therefore answers to such questions can easily be found online.

Finally, be thankful. In practice, everyday programming is often tedious and boring whereas puzzles are fun.

Puzzles are a good way to make sure that not only do you find a correct solution, but you find a solution that is computable in a reasonable amount of time. Often with puzzles of any significant size, there are solutions that might as well be incorrect because they are so horribly inefficient. The (time / space) complexity of a solution is an important thing to know.

I play around at Project Euler a lot :)

Sorry for the late reply
ok so puzzles improve my logical thinking. But logical thinking is required in every field of science and maths. Why computer science course focuses so much on logic building?

jd12345 said:
Sorry for the late reply
ok so puzzles improve my logical thinking. But logical thinking is required in every field of science and maths. Why computer science course focuses so much on logic building?
Because when you write a program, you are writing a sequence of statements in a certain order to anticipate all possible values that a program user might enter. Unless you are writing a very trivial program, your program needs to do one thing if the user enters a certain value, but do something else if the user enters a different value, and so on. Also, the program needs to be able to react in some graceful way if the user enters invalid data.

Writing a program that deals with these occurrences requires a lot of logical thinking on the part of the programmer.

jd12345 said:
ok so puzzles improve my logical thinking. But logical thinking is required in every field of science and maths.
And as a consequence, most science and math problems are puzzles as well.

mfb said:
And as a consequence, most science and math problems are puzzles as well.

True. Didnt really think about it. Anyways thank you

1. Why are puzzles important in programming?

Puzzles are important in programming because they help developers improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. By solving puzzles, programmers learn to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can also help them think outside the box and come up with creative solutions.

2. How do puzzles enhance programming skills?

Puzzles enhance programming skills by challenging programmers to use logic and analytical thinking to solve problems. They also help developers improve their understanding of algorithms and data structures, which are crucial in writing efficient and optimized code.

3. What kinds of puzzles are commonly used in programming?

Some common types of puzzles used in programming include coding challenges, algorithmic problems, and logic puzzles. These puzzles can be found in various forms, such as coding competitions, online platforms, and educational resources.

4. Can beginners benefit from solving puzzles in programming?

Absolutely! Puzzles in programming can benefit beginners in many ways. They can help beginners understand programming concepts, improve their problem-solving skills, and build their confidence. Additionally, puzzles can make learning to code more fun and engaging for beginners.

5. How can puzzles be incorporated into programming education?

Puzzles can be incorporated into programming education in various ways. They can be used as a supplemental learning tool in coding courses or bootcamps, included in coding challenges or competitions, or used as a self-study resource. Some online platforms also offer interactive puzzles specifically designed for programming education.