Cat 5 Digital Audio: Transmit/Receive 12 Channels @ 48KHz

In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of transmitting 12 channels of 24 bit audio at 48KHz over a distance of 100-300ft. The use of differential signals and Cat 5 cable with specific twisted pairs is suggested. The necessary bandwidth for this situation is calculated to be 13.824 MHz. The RS-485 spec is mentioned as a possible solution, but it is noted that it may not provide enough bandwidth. The suggestion of using 100Base-T transceivers on a point-to-point doubly terminated bus is recommended for sufficient bandwidth. The use of an existing PHY IC and asynchronous protocol for communication between devices is also discussed.
jordanstreet
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. My goal is to receive 12 and transmit 4 channels of 24 bit audio @ 48KHz over 100ft to 300ft. I would guess that at this distance I need differential signals. The Cat 5 cable would then have the following twisted pairs

1) Vcc and Gnd
2) Clk + and -
3) Transmit + and -
4) Receive + and -

Given the receive of 12 channels being the limiting case: 12 * 24 * 48000 = 13.824 MHz would appear to be the bandwidth requirement of this situation. The RS-485 spec states that the max bandwidth @ 40ft is only 10 MHz.

I know this sort of thing is possible as I've seen it all the time in digital snakes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jordan

Engineering news on Phys.org
jordanstreet said:
Hey guys I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. My goal is to receive 12 and transmit 4 channels of 24 bit audio @ 48KHz over 100ft to 300ft. I would guess that at this distance I need differential signals. The Cat 5 cable would then have the following twisted pairs

1) Vcc and Gnd
2) Clk + and -
3) Transmit + and -
4) Receive + and -

Given the receive of 12 channels being the limiting case: 12 * 24 * 48000 = 13.824 MHz would appear to be the bandwidth requirement of this situation. The RS-485 spec states that the max bandwidth @ 40ft is only 10 MHz.

I know this sort of thing is possible as I've seen it all the time in digital snakes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jordan

RS-485 is a multi-drop network spec. Use 100Base-T transceivers on a point-to-point doubly terminated bus. That will give you plenty of bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100BASE-T#Copper

:smile:

Hey berkeman, thank you for the speedy reply!

I took a look at that and it looks very promising. By doubly terminated, do you mean a resistor equal to the characteristic impedance at both the send and receive on each line to eliminate reflection?

It looks as though one option would be to implement the physical layer using an existing PHY IC, and then communicate from my microprocessor or fpga to the PHY through MII. Since there is no synchronous clock between devices on the 100mbit network it appears as though I would need to use some sort of asynchronous protocol between devices. Any thoughts how that might be accomplished?

Thank you again for the assistance!

1. What is Cat 5 Digital Audio?

Cat 5 Digital Audio refers to a type of audio transmission technology that uses Category 5 Ethernet cables to transmit and receive digital audio signals. This method is commonly used in professional audio settings, such as recording studios and large live sound events.

2. How many channels can Cat 5 Digital Audio transmit and receive?

Cat 5 Digital Audio can transmit and receive up to 12 channels of audio simultaneously. This allows for a larger number of audio sources to be connected and transmitted over a single cable.

3. What is the sampling rate of Cat 5 Digital Audio?

The sampling rate of Cat 5 Digital Audio is 48kHz, which means that 48,000 samples are taken per second to capture the audio signal. This is a standard sampling rate in the audio industry and provides high-quality sound reproduction.

4. Can Cat 5 Digital Audio be used for both transmitting and receiving audio?

Yes, Cat 5 Digital Audio can be used for both transmitting and receiving audio signals. This allows for two-way communication between audio devices, making it a versatile option for audio transmission.

5. What are the advantages of using Cat 5 Digital Audio?

Some advantages of using Cat 5 Digital Audio include its ability to transmit multiple channels of audio over a single cable, its cost-effectiveness compared to other audio transmission methods, and its compatibility with various audio devices and systems.