Electrostatics, finding velocity of electron

F = ma_c = \frac{mv^2}{r}, so the centripetal force is inversely proportional to the radius. Therefore, if the radius is doubled, the force is halved. Since the force is also directly proportional to the velocity squared, if the force is halved, the velocity must also be halved to maintain equilibrium between the two forces. Therefore, the new orbital velocity would be \frac{v}{2}. In summary, if an electron orbits the nucleus of an atom with velocity v, and then orbits the same nucleus with twice the previous orbital radius, its orbital velocity would now be \frac{v}{2}. This can be determined using the equation F = ma_c = \frac{
physics604
1. An electron orbits the nucleus of an atom with velocity v. If this electron were to orbit the same nucleus with twice the previous orbital radius, its orbital velocity would now be

a) [itex]\frac{v}{2}[/itex]
b) v
c) 2v
d) [itex]\frac{v}{√2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]Ek + [itex]\Delta[/itex]Ep = 0 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how I should start this question. None of the equations I have include both the v and the r variable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for electrostatic attraction?

F = kQ1Q2 / r2

But I don't see how that helps.

physics604 said:
F = kQ1Q2 / r2

But I don't see how that helps.

And the equation that we use for centripital force for uniform circular motion? There is a reason that we ask you to list the Relevant Equations... :smile:

Can you provide a hint or some guidance on how to approach this?

Sure, no problem. This problem involves the concept of conservation of energy in electrostatics. The equation you have written is a good starting point, as it represents the conservation of total energy in a system. In this case, the system is the electron orbiting the nucleus.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation for the electrostatic potential energy of a system:

U = \frac{kQq}{r}

where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb constant, Q and q are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

You can also use the equation for the kinetic energy of a moving object:

K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2

where K is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity.

Now, you can set up an equation where the change in kinetic energy (\DeltaK) is equal to the negative change in potential energy (\DeltaU):

\DeltaK = -\DeltaU

You can also substitute the equations for kinetic and potential energy to get:

\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 = -\frac{kQq}{r_f} + \frac{kQq}{r_i}

where v_f is the final velocity, v_i is the initial velocity, r_f is the final orbital radius, and r_i is the initial orbital radius.

Now, you can use this equation to solve for the final velocity, v_f, in terms of the initial velocity, v_i. You can also use the given information that the final orbital radius is twice the initial orbital radius (r_f = 2r_i) to simplify the equation further.

I hope this helps guide you in solving this problem. Remember to always start with the relevant equations and use the given information to simplify the problem. Good luck!

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other. It is a fundamental concept in understanding electricity and magnetism.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of an electron?

The velocity of an electron can be calculated using the equation v = (2qV/m)1/2, where v is the velocity, q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What is the unit of velocity in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

4. Can the velocity of an electron change?

Yes, the velocity of an electron can change depending on the factors that affect it, such as the applied electric field or magnetic field.

5. How does the velocity of an electron affect its behavior?

The velocity of an electron determines how it interacts with other particles and electric fields. A higher velocity can result in a stronger force of attraction or repulsion, while a lower velocity can result in a weaker force. It also affects the electron's ability to transfer energy and cause electric current.