Measurement of upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump?

In summary, the person is looking for resources on how to develop a physics-based platform game with realistic environment and physics. They specifically need information on the force exerted when a human jumps vertically. The suggested approach is to consider the person's mass, gravitational potential, and acceleration, and use Newton's law F=ma. There may be existing resources or algorithms for this in gaming, but the person is not aware of any. Finally, a suggestion is made to stand on a scale and jump to get an idea of the force exerted, and a link to a potential resource on Google Scholar is provided.
heisenbergman
Hi,

I'm doing some research on developing a physics-based platform game and I want to see how the gameplay will feel if the environment and physics were made to scale as realistically as possible.

Since one of the core features of a 2D platformer is jumping, I need some figures on how much force is actually exerted when a human jumps vertically.

Are there any resources regarding this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all it depends on 1) the mass (in Kg) of the person jumping, 2) the gravitational potential that the person is jumping through (is he on the Earth, the moon, Mars?), and 3) the acceleration of the person due to the jump. After you've identified those parameters, I think all your going to need is Newton's handy old F=ma to get your answer. As far a resource related to gaming algorithms, I am unaware of any, but I'd imagine they exist "pre-fabbed" somewhere, its a common feature in many games even though I'm not a gamer.

It's not going to be much of a platformer if the character can't jump 2-3 times his height. A human can't even jump 5 feet in the air from standing, but Super Mario jumps 3 times his own height.

Anyway, why don't you stand on a scale and jump to see how much force you exert on the ground.

I understand your interest in accurately representing the physics in your platform game. The measurement of upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump is a complex topic that depends on various factors such as the individual's weight, height, and muscle strength, as well as the technique used for jumping. However, there have been studies conducted on this topic that can provide some insights.

One study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that the average vertical jump height for male athletes was approximately 18-20 inches, with a maximum force exerted of around 3,400 Newtons (N). For female athletes, the average vertical jump was around 13-15 inches, with a maximum force exerted of approximately 2,200 N. It should be noted that these values may vary depending on the specific population being studied.

Another study published in the Journal of Applied Biomechanics looked at the force production during vertical jumps in both athletes and non-athletes. They found that the average peak force exerted during a vertical jump was around 2,000 N for both groups.

In terms of resources, there are various online calculators and tools that can estimate the force exerted during a vertical jump based on an individual's weight and jump height. However, these should be used with caution as they may not account for individual differences and variations in technique.

Overall, while there is no definitive answer to the exact force exerted during a vertical jump, these studies and resources can provide some general insights and guidelines for your game development. It may also be beneficial to consult with a biomechanics expert for more specific and accurate measurements. Best of luck with your research and game development!

1. How is the upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump measured?

The upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump is typically measured using a force plate, which is a specialized tool that can accurately measure the amount of force applied by an object or person. The person performing the jump steps onto the force plate, and the force exerted by their jump is recorded.

2. What units are used to measure the upward force exerted on a vertical jump?

The upward force exerted on a vertical jump is typically measured in Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the international system of units (SI).

3. What factors affect the upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump?

The upward force exerted by a human on a vertical jump can be affected by a variety of factors, including the strength and power of the leg muscles, body weight, height, and technique used in the jump. Other factors such as surface type, footwear, and environmental conditions may also play a role.

4. How does the measurement of upward force on a vertical jump relate to athletic performance?

The measurement of upward force on a vertical jump is often used as an indicator of athletic performance, particularly in sports that require explosive jumping ability such as basketball and volleyball. A higher upward force indicates greater strength and power in the legs, which can translate to improved performance in these sports.

5. Are there any limitations to using upward force measurement for assessing athletic performance?

While upward force measurement can be a useful tool for assessing athletic performance, it is important to note that it is just one component and does not provide a complete picture of an athlete's abilities. Other factors such as technique, agility, and coordination also play a role in athletic performance. Additionally, the accuracy of the force plate and proper calibration are crucial for obtaining accurate measurements.