Question about the collision of two objects (points) in space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pursuit curves and their use in solving problems involving two bodies with known positions and velocities. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using calculus to solve these problems and the specific application of this concept in a computer game. Different methods and equations are proposed and discussed for determining the direction in which a projectile should be fired in order to hit a moving target in the shortest amount of time possible.
mre521
Hello. I am new to these forums. I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I was thinking, what If there were two bodies (represented by points) in space (two dimensional space to keep it simple) with known position at time zero, where the first is moving at a known velocity and the second moving at an unknown velocity.

There is, however, a restriction on the velocity of the second body: it can have any direction, however, it must have a specific speed, i.e. magnitude.

Let Vf = velocity of the first body,
Df = position of first body at time zero

Let Vs = direction of the second body's velocity (unit vector),
Ss = speed of the second body (magnitude of velocity),
Ds = position of second body at time zero

If Vf, Df, Ss, and Ds are known, how then can I determine Vs such that the two bodies collide in the shortest time possible?

As well, how can I determine whether or not it is possible for the two bodies to collide? For example, if |Vf| ≥ Ss and Vf points away from Ds than the two bodies would have no chance of colliding no matter what Vs is, providing |Vs| = one.

It seems to me that this may require calculus to solve, especially due to the parameter of the shortest time possible. This is the main reason why I am not sure whether this post should be in this forum or the calculus forum.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think that this will allow me to solve my problem. So I was correct, calculus is required to do it.

The actual scope of the problem is a computer game where there is a moving target and you shoot it with a projectile. So with what direction do I fire at a given time to hit the moving target if the target maintains its velocity and the bullet has a constant speed and the bullet is to hit the target in the lowest amount of time possible? I think I can use pursuit curves to figure this out.

Thank you

With uniform motion, I don't see why you would need calculus, and the shortest interception always uses a straight line. If you calculate the difference between the two objects, you get a formula for a straight line in 3D space. You just have to adjust two parameters (for the direction) to let it hit the origin. There are at most two solutions.

mfb said:
With uniform motion, I don't see why you would need calculus, and the shortest interception always uses a straight line. If you calculate the difference between the two objects, you get a formula for a straight line in 3D space. You just have to adjust two parameters (for the direction) to let it hit the origin. There are at most two solutions.

But if this is for a game then you might like to see the curved track as a realtime calculation and it would allow for the tracked object to change direction and speed.

Yes, the main issue is that the projectile moves at a specific speed at any direction but the target could be moving at any constant speed and direction.

- If you aimed directly at the target and shot, the target would be gone from its position when the projectile reaches there.

- Even if you predict the target's future position based on the time the projectile would take to reach the target's original position, then aim towards this prediction, the time for the projectile to reach the predicted position would be different than the time used to predict that position: the target would not actually be there when the shot gets there.

If you figure out where the target would actually be when the shot gets to the target's previously predicted position and then aim at this newly predicted position, the case would be the same.
There would be one difference, however, I think: the distance between the shot and the actual target's position would get smaller each time you do this.

This is the reason I believed calculus was required: the distance between the bullet and the target's position would approach zero as you did more predictions. It's like a limit I guess.

Here is a diagram of what I'm trying to explain:

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 416
you could simulate it in your game by integrating the values:

x1,y1 is the position of object 1
x2,y2 is the position of object 2

vx1,vy1 is the velocity vector for object 1
vx2,vy2 is the velocity vector for object 2
v2 is the speed for object 2

Code:
while(not hit) {
    x1=x1+vx1
    y1=y1+vy1

sx = x1 - x2
    sy = y1 - y2
    ss = sqrt(sx*sx + sy*sy)

vx2 = sx / ss * v2
    vy2 = sy / ss * v2

x2 = x2 + vx2
    y2 = y2 + vy2

plot x1,y1 and x2, y2 
}

mre521 said:
Yes, the main issue is that the projectile moves at a specific speed at any direction but the target could be moving at any constant speed and direction.
I know.

- If you aimed directly at the target and shot, the target would be gone from its position when the projectile reaches there.

- Even if you predict the target's future position based on the time the projectile would take to reach the target's original position, then aim towards this prediction, the time for the projectile to reach the predicted position would be different than the time used to predict that position: the target would not actually be there when the shot gets there.
Sure. That's the reason you have to solve equations. You don't need differential equations.

This is the reason I believed calculus was required: the distance between the bullet and the target's position would approach zero as you did more predictions. It's like a limit I guess.
There is no need to do it iteratively.Let ##x_t## be the current position of the target (vector in 2D) and ##v## its velocity (again, a vector).
Let ##x_b## be our current position and w be the magnitude of our velocity, define (sin θ, cos θ) as the direction we should go to. Note that this vector is normalized, so our velocity is w*(sin θ, cos θ).

Our distance to the target is now $$\vec{d(t)}=\vec{x_t}+\vec{v}t - \vec{x_b}-w t \left(
\begin{array}{c}
\sin \theta\\
\cos \theta\\
\end{array}
\right)$$
Set d(t)=0 and solve the two equations for t and θ, and you are done.

Here's a java processing (processing.org) sketch illustrating a pursuit curve computed in realtime:

Code:
float x1,y1=0;          // object 1 position
float x2,y2=0;          // object 2 position

float vx1=1.2,vy1=1.2;  // velocity of object 1
float v2=2.0;           // speed of object 2

int boom=10;

int WIDTH=640;
int HEIGHT=400;

float CLOSENESS=1.0;

void setup() {

x2=WIDTH;
  y2=HEIGHT/2;

// setup CANVAS size
  size(WIDTH, HEIGHT);

}

void draw() {

if(Math.abs(x1-x2)<CLOSENESS && Math.abs(y1-y2)<CLOSENESS) {

// BOOM they collided...
    if(boom<100) { 
      boom=boom+1;
      ellipse(x1,y1,boom,boom);
    } 

} else {

// UPDATE object 1 position
    x1=x1+vx1;
    y1=y1+vy1;

// COMPUTE distance between objects
    float sx = x1 - x2;
    float sy = y1 - y2;
    float ss = (float)Math.sqrt(sx*sx + sy*sy);

// COMPUTE velocity vector for object 2
    float vx2 = sx / ss * v2;
    float vy2 = sy / ss * v2;

// UPDATE object 2
    x2 = x2 + vx2;
    y2 = y2 + vy2;

// PLOT object 1 and 2
    ellipse(x1,y1,10,10);
    ellipse(x2,y2,10,10);
  }    

}

Well, a pursuit curve is not optimal (and can be far away from this, or even fail if our velocity is below the target velocity).

mfb said:
Well, a pursuit curve is not optimal (and can be far away from this, or even fail if our velocity is below the target velocity).

Quite true, in general the pursuer must move faster and even then may not catch the target in a resonable amount of time. I just thought it was useful in real life when you don't know the actual speed of the target but you think you can catch it.

jedishrfu said:
Here's a java processing (processing.org) sketch illustrating a pursuit curve computed in realtime:

Code:

float vx1=1.2,vy1=1.2;  // velocity of object 1
float v2=2.0;           // speed of object 2

int boom=10;

int WIDTH=640;
int HEIGHT=400;

float CLOSENESS=1.0;

void setup() {

x2=WIDTH;
  y2=HEIGHT/2;

// setup CANVAS size
  size(WIDTH, HEIGHT);

}

void draw() {

// BOOM they collided...
    if(boom<100) { 
      boom=boom+1;
    } 

} else {

x1=x1+vx1;
    y1=y1+vy1;

// COMPUTE distance between objects
    float sx = x1 - x2;
    float sy = y1 - y2;
    float ss = (float)Math.sqrt(sx*sx + sy*sy);

// COMPUTE velocity vector for object 2
    float vx2 = sx / ss * v2;
    float vy2 = sy / ss * v2;

// UPDATE object 2
    x2 = x2 + vx2;
    y2 = y2 + vy2;

// PLOT object 1 and 2
    ellipse(x1,y1,10,10);
    ellipse(x2,y2,10,10);
  }    

}

I can modify your sketch to test that my theory of using the iterations does work:
Code:

float vx1=-1.2,vy1=-1.4;  // velocity of object 1
float ax1 = 0.0, ay1 = 0.01; // accel of object 1
float v2=2.5;           // speed of object 2
float vx2, vy2;

int boom=10;

int WIDTH=640;
int HEIGHT=400;

float CLOSENESS=5.0;
int ITERATIONS=10;

float DELTA_T = 1.0;

float pos1x(float t) {
  float dx = x1;
  float vx = vx1;

for(float t2 = 0.0; t2 <= t; t2 += DELTA_T) {
      dx += vx*DELTA_T;
      vx += ax1*DELTA_T;
  }

return dx;
}

float pos1y(float t) {
  float dy = y1;
  float vy = vy1;

for(float t2 = 0.0; t2 <= t; t2 += DELTA_T) {
      dy += vy*DELTA_T;
      vy += ay1*DELTA_T;
  }

return dy;
}

void setup() {

x1=WIDTH/2;
  y1=HEIGHT/2;

x2=WIDTH;
  y2=HEIGHT/2;

// setup CANVAS size
  size(WIDTH, HEIGHT);

// direction for 
  float dy = 0, dx = 0;
  float distance = 1;
  float time = 0.0;
  float predx1, predy1;
  float predx2, predy2;

for(int i = 0; i < ITERATIONS; ++i) {
    predx1 = pos1x(time);//x1+time*vx1;
    predy1 = pos1y(time);//y1+time*vy1;

dx = predx1-x2;
    dy = predy1-y2;

distance = (float)Math.sqrt(dx*dx + dy*dy);
    time = distance/v2;
  }

vx2 = v2*dx/distance;
  vy2 = v2*dy/distance;
}

void draw() {

// BOOM they collided...
    if(boom<100) { 
      boom=boom+1;
    } 

} else {

x1=x1+vx1;
    y1=y1+vy1;

vx1 += ax1;
    vy1 += ay1;

// UPDATE object 2
    x2 = x2 + vx2;
    y2 = y2 + vy2;

//clear();
    // PLOT object 1 and 2
    ellipse(x1,y1,10,10);
    ellipse(x2,y2,10,10);

}    

}

This shows it works even if the target is not moving in a straight line

And @mfb, I am not quite sure how I can solve the equation for both variables. I know you can break it into the component equations but I don't see how you could eliminate a variable because the terms wtsinθ and wtcosθ contain both.

mre521 said:
And @mfb, I am not quite sure how I can solve the equation for both variables. I know you can break it into the component equations but I don't see how you could eliminate a variable because the terms wtsinθ and wtcosθ contain both.
The equations are of the type 0=a+bt+sin θ and 0=c+dt+cosθ
Multiply the first equation with d and the second with b:
0=ad + bdt + d sinθ and 0=bc + bdt + b cosθ
Now subtract both:
0=ad - bd + d sinθ - b cosθ
This is an equation with one unknown variable only. It can be solved with various methods to combine sin and cos.

1. What happens when two objects collide in space?

When two objects collide in space, they exert a force on each other due to their masses and velocities. This force causes the objects to change direction and speed, and may result in deformation or destruction of the objects depending on the intensity of the collision.

2. How do scientists calculate the collision of two objects in space?

Scientists use principles of physics such as the conservation of momentum and energy to calculate the collision of two objects in space. They also take into account factors such as mass, velocity, and angle of impact to determine the outcome of the collision.

3. Can objects in space collide at any speed?

Yes, objects in space can collide at any speed. However, the intensity and outcome of the collision may vary depending on the speed and direction of the objects, as well as their mass and composition.

4. What are some potential effects of a collision between two objects in space?

A collision between two objects in space can result in changes to the objects' trajectories, deformation or destruction of the objects, and the release of energy in the form of heat, light, or radiation. It can also produce debris that may pose a threat to other objects in space.

5. How common are collisions between objects in space?

Collisions between objects in space are relatively rare, but they do occur. The chances of a collision depend on the density and distribution of objects in a particular area of space. Scientists use advanced technologies and techniques to monitor and predict potential collisions and minimize their impact on space missions and satellites.