Video Game Graphics and Physics

In summary: I do the same thing with molecular dynamics simulations. It takes weeks to get a few nanoseconds in real time. I'd like to get into more classical simulations (even though molecular dynamics is primarily classical mechanics...) like fluid flow or vibrations.
cytochrome
I was numerically solving the wave equation earlier just to produce a simple illustration of a vibrating string and my computer was working pretty hard. Then I realized how many video games nowadays have such awesome graphics with things like water, waves, motion in general, etc... Are these consoles numerically solving PDEs with obscure boundary conditions to make these animations? If that's the case, it really makes you appreciate how powerful these consoles can be (especially when user input can alter the equations and boundary conditions and run so smoothly).My question: Are gaming consoles numerically solving PDEs with obscure boundary conditions to make animations?

Physics news on Phys.org
cytochrome said:
My question: Are gaming consoles numerically solving PDEs with obscure boundary conditions to make animations?

Highly doubtful. As far as I am aware in most cases they don't simulate real water behavior, they rather use algorithms that make the surface "look good". Sophisticated cheating in other words.

See if this page: http://vterrain.org/Water/ doesn't help.

Last edited:
there was this video in which they used what they call " real physics engine "
i then went on to read more about this engine , it claims that it uses real-life physical computations to compute the movement of particles like dust , bullets and whatsoever , i don't remember the name of the video
but it was for one of UnReal games * no pun its just the name of the game :p *
also check this PhysX engine
to quote wikipedia
" It supports rigid body dynamics, soft body dynamics, ragdolls and character controllers, vehicle dynamics, volumetric fluid simulation and cloth simulation including tearing and pressurized cloth. "

B4ssHunter said:
there was this video in which they used what they call " real physics engine "
i then went on to read more about this engine , it claims that it uses real-life physical computations to compute the movement of particles like dust , bullets and whatsoever , i don't remember the name of the video
but it was for one of UnReal games * no pun its just the name of the game :p *
also check this PhysX engine
to quote wikipedia
" It supports rigid body dynamics, soft body dynamics, ragdolls and character controllers, vehicle dynamics, volumetric fluid simulation and cloth simulation including tearing and pressurized cloth. "

Yes that's what I was looking for. That is truly amazing if you ask me... I wonder if physicists and engineers working in computational mechanics realize that their work is also being used in video games? LOL...

No, they're totally oblivious to such things.

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'PDEs with obscure boundary conditions'. Most of the PDEs describing fluid flow and such have relatively simple and quite common boundary conditions.

SteamKing said:

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'PDEs with obscure boundary conditions'. Most of the PDEs describing fluid flow and such have relatively simple and quite common boundary conditions.

Obscure was the wrong word, I meant seemingly random or a wide variety of boundary conditions. When you have user input and there's a bunch of possibilities you can get a wide array of boundary conditions. Sorry for the misuse of that word, I can't think of any boundary value problems that would arise in a videogame that aren't capable of being solved numerically...

SteamKing said:

Not quite oblivious. A lot of "serous" numerical computing is taking a ride on the back of the hardware developed for mass-market computer gaming (e.g. the large scale parallel processing hardware in graphics cards), and the low hardware costs that come from large production runs.

But the objectives are very different even if the hardware and even some of the numerical methods are the same. A video game animation has to look right (or at least, not look too wrong) when it is computed in real time. And if it doesn't look quite right, adding some smoke, flames, and/or sound effects can easily ihide that fact!. An engineering simulation has to be right, not just look pretty, but getting answers in real time is usually irrelevant. At work, we use simulations that run for hundreds of hours, to compute what happens to something in a few milliseconds.

AlephZero said:
At work, we use simulations that run for hundreds of hours, to compute what happens to something in a few milliseconds.

I do the same thing with molecular dynamics simulations. It takes weeks to get a few nanoseconds in real time. I'd like to get into more classical simulations (even though molecular dynamics is primarily classical mechanics...) like fluid flow or vibrations.

Out of curiosity, what do you do?

What is the difference between video game graphics and physics?

Video game graphics refers to the visual appearance of a video game, including the resolution, textures, lighting, and overall aesthetic. Physics, on the other hand, refers to the realistic movement and interactions of objects within the game world, such as gravity, collisions, and momentum.

How do video game graphics and physics affect gameplay?

Video game graphics can greatly enhance the immersive experience of a game, making it more visually appealing and engaging. Physics can also greatly impact gameplay, as realistic movements and interactions can make the game feel more realistic and challenging.

What technologies are used to create video game graphics and physics?

Video game graphics are typically created using computer graphics software, such as 3D modeling programs, and are often rendered in real-time using game engines. Physics in games can be simulated using physics engines, which use mathematical algorithms to calculate realistic movements and interactions.

How do developers balance graphics and physics in a video game?

Developers must strike a balance between creating visually stunning graphics and realistic physics that enhance gameplay. This often involves optimizing graphics and physics to run smoothly on different hardware and finding a balance between realism and playability.

What advancements have been made in video game graphics and physics in recent years?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in both video game graphics and physics. This includes the use of advanced lighting techniques, such as ray tracing, to create more realistic lighting and shadows. In terms of physics, there have been advancements in physics engines that allow for more complex and realistic interactions between objects in the game world.