Simple chemistry questions - creating particle beams

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of particle beams in chemistry and how they can be used for research purposes. The participants ask questions about the possibility of creating beams of protons, neutrons, and electrons and how they can be used in experiments. They also discuss the difference between radiation and beams, and how radiation can be composed of any type of particle. Overall, the conversation highlights the potential use and creation of particle beams in chemistry.
skyshrimp
Simple chemistry questions -- creating particle beams...

I'm new to chemistry and trying to understand this page http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/. I'm about to ask some very silly questions :uhh:

It shows two examples of what will happen if a beam of protons, neutrons and electrons are passed between two electrically charged plates.

1. If the particles have the same energy.
2. If the particles have the same speeds.

My first question is, how can you create a beam of these particles in the first place? I thought only photons and radiation were beams. Was it just hypothetical?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not sure about neutrons, but creating a beam of electrons is rather trivial (every old style TV/monitor used a beam of electrons to create the picture). Similarly it is not difficult to create a stream of protons (take some hydrogen, ionize it, accelerate what you got - perhaps not something to try on the kitchen table, but a routine thing to do in many labs).

I was sure methods exist, I just wasn't aware of the details :redface:

You question contained its answer...
skyshrimp said:
I thought only photons and radiation were beams.
I think the difficulty here was not realizing that electrons etc in beams are radiation.
Radiation can be composed of any kind of particle...

1. How are particle beams created?

Particle beams are created by using a particle accelerator, which is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and steer particles at high speeds. The particles are then focused and directed into a beam using magnets.

2. What kinds of particles can be used to create a particle beam?

Almost any type of particle can be used to create a particle beam, including electrons, protons, neutrons, and even atomic nuclei. The choice of particle depends on the specific purpose and application of the beam.

3. How are particle beams used in scientific research?

Particle beams are used in a variety of scientific research fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science. They can be used to study the structure and behavior of particles, as well as to create and manipulate new materials.

4. Can particle beams be used for medical purposes?

Yes, particle beams can be used for medical purposes. In particular, proton beams have been used in cancer treatment as a more precise and targeted form of radiation therapy. Particle beams are also being studied for potential use in imaging and drug delivery.

5. What are the potential risks associated with particle beams?

Particle beams can pose a radiation risk to those working with them, so proper safety measures must be taken. Additionally, there is a small risk of beam instabilities causing damage to the accelerator or surrounding equipment. However, these risks are carefully managed and controlled in research and medical settings.