Old Engineering: A ship that moves by harnessing the power of fire?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fire as a means of propelling ships against the wind and currents, and the history of engine-powered boats. It also mentions the first steamboat, steam turbine, and steam engine, and how these inventions changed the transportation industry. The conversation ends with a mention of the screw propeller and its impact on boat propulsion.
Psinter
This is bothering me way more than it should. Ever since I saw the following image: http://i.imgur.com/iUZsw3Cl.jpg?1
(This is a fraction of a set of pictures that contains other cool people with quotes that would be considered "ignorant" nowadays. All credit goes to the original author. I have no proof that the quotes are correct. Be aware that in the internet anything a person has ever said can be turned into something else and/or attributed to anyone. Original set of images)

I've been wanting to come with a theoretical model to make it work. But I don't know what concepts of physics would be used to explain it. Of course nowadays I would go with electricity and it would be so easy. But assuming I'm living in those times and there are no turbines, no engines, or electricity how would I make a ship which in theory can move against the wind and currents by using fire? How does one harness the power of fire for this purpose?

This is an old problem, and in this forum it may not be constructive at all because there are better solutions today. Still, I'm curious. It would be fun to understand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your history is a bit off. The first working steamboat was built in 1803, a year before Napoleon became Emperor of France. And the first sea-going steamboat was built two years before the battle of Waterloo.

But Napoleon probably didn't bother much about what the English (or more accurately the Scots) were doing!

FWIW the first steam turbine was invented by the ancient Greeks.

Likes 1 person
cpscdave said:
Not sure if this would qualify but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_pop_boat
Curiously enough you just reminded me of the movie Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea where a kid uses that kind of boat.

AlephZero said:
Your history is a bit off. The first working steamboat was built in 1803, a year before Napoleon became Emperor of France. And the first sea-going steamboat was built two years before the battle of Waterloo.

But Napoleon probably didn't bother much about what the English (or more accurately the Scots) were doing!
That history clarification renders my post answered. I was assuming there were no engines, but if something like a cylinder and piston were known in those times then I have no more doubts. It's easy to implement it with those parts. If he said that then I suppose it was because for some reason he had no knowledge of the existence of those parts. Or if he did, he couldn't visualize any use for them. Or like you said, he just didn't care. Or who knows, maybe he never said such a thing to begin with! Thanks for your answer.

AlephZero said:
FWIW the first steam turbine was invented by the ancient Greeks.
I do not doubt that statement. Many amazing things are attributed to the ancient Greek. Say something about them and I will probably believe it without a second thought. I'm their fan.

Psinter said:
I was assuming there were no engines, but if something like a cylinder and piston were known in those times then I have no more doubts.

Thomas Newcomen invented the first steam engine in 1712:

Newcomen_atmospheric_engine_animation.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

Psinter said:
I was assuming there were no engines, but if something like a cylinder and piston were known in those times then I have no more doubts. It's easy to implement it with those parts.

Arguably, the real breakthrough for engine-powered boats was the screw propeller replacing the paddle wheel - though paddle wheels survived for a long time. Three of these boats operated the river Humber ferry in the UK until the suspension bridge (still the 7th longest in the world) was completed in 1981.
Lincoln%20castle%201959%20IJS-A%20mid.jpg

1. How does a ship harness the power of fire to move?

A ship that moves by harnessing the power of fire typically uses a steam engine. The fire heats water in a boiler, creating steam, which then powers the engine and propels the ship forward.

2. What is the history of using fire as a source of power for ships?

The use of fire as a source of power for ships can be traced back to ancient civilizations, where fire was used to heat water and create steam to power simple paddle boats. However, it wasn't until the 19th century that steam engines were perfected and widely used in ships.

3. What are the advantages of using fire-powered ships compared to other forms of propulsion?

Fire-powered ships have several advantages, including being able to travel longer distances without needing to stop for refueling and having a higher power-to-weight ratio compared to other forms of propulsion. They also produce less pollution and are more reliable than other methods.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using fire-powered ships?

As with any form of fire, there is always a risk of accidents and potential danger when using fire-powered ships. Proper safety precautions and maintenance procedures must be followed to ensure the safe operation of the ship and to prevent fires or explosions.

5. How has the use of fire-powered ships evolved over time?

Since the invention of the steam engine, fire-powered ships have undergone significant changes and improvements. With advancements in technology, ships can now use more efficient and environmentally friendly forms of fuel, such as diesel or natural gas, to power their engines. Additionally, modern ships often have backup systems in case of engine failure and are equipped with advanced safety features.