Astronomy Day is coming at my university; any suggestions for demos?

In summary: That's a really good one! I seen suggestions like that but passed over them because I think we'll be indoors... but I'll double-check.If you can find a rubber sheet, say 3' x 3' and stretch it evenly on a rigid frame, then put a weight in the middle to simulate a massive object (say the sun), you can show a model of space-time and explain how the models dimple makes smaller objects orbit the central object. This would be an approximation, as two objects would actually orbit their center of mass. You can also use this to show how 'gravity'='space time dimple' can deflect light.
SupernerdSven
Thank you for anything you can offer. We've got a plasma globe which we can tie into talking about solar and interstellar plasma, and we have a few Galileoscopes, but we don't really have anything else astronomy-themed. I've been thinking, but haven't come up with many ideas.

One idea I did have is a model of Newtonian gravitational potential. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to make a model of an inverse-square potential? A curved surface would be difficult to manufacture...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
SupernerdSven said:
Thank you for anything you can offer. We've got a plasma globe which we can tie into talking about solar and interstellar plasma, and we have a few Galileoscopes, but we don't really have anything else astronomy-themed. I've been thinking, but haven't come up with many ideas.

One idea I did have is a model of Newtonian gravitational potential. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to make a model of an inverse-square potential? A curved surface would be difficult to manufacture...

Sorry, not a helpful suggestion, but please be careful with your terminology; the magnitude of the gravitational field is inverse-square, but the potential is merely proportional to 1/r, not the square.

Sorry, you're right - that's what I meant.

A good demo would just be a PC-based program that helps folks locate constellations in the night sky. I think there are several available, and probably some for smartphones as well. That could really spark some interest in folks for Astronomy -- being able to use their smart phone as they stand outside and spot constellations by being given directions on where to look (based on their GPS coordinates that the smartphone app has access to). :smile:

You could also set up a scale model of the Solar System in your lab, with the Sun hanging down in the middle, and the outer planets near the outer walls of the room. All in correct scale, if that's possible in a room the size of your lab. If not, maybe set it up outside if the weather is good.

berkeman said:
Show Off!

:biggrin:

Sowwy :cry:

Thank you all! I found these as well:
http://isthis4real.com/orbit.xml
https://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/planet/

I should have been more specific about the nature of the demos - they should be accessible to all ages and require less than a minute of instruction to begin and take no longer than a few minutes to complete.

I should have been more specific about the nature of the demos - they should be accessible to all ages and require less than a minute of instruction to begin and take no longer than a few minutes to complete.

Sundials! Teach the relative positions and motions of the earth-sun by marking a shadow's progress over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
SupernerdSven said:
Thank you all! I found these as well:
http://isthis4real.com/orbit.xml
https://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/planet/

micromass said:

Cool! Quick check done. Ill run it later and thanks!.^^

Bobbywhy said:
Sundials! Teach the relative positions and motions of the earth-sun by marking a shadow's progress over time.

That's a really good one! I seen suggestions like that but passed over them because I think we'll be indoors... but I'll double-check.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find a rubber sheet, say 3' x 3' and stretch it evenly on a rigid frame, then put a weight in the middle to simulate a massive object (say the sun), you can show a model of space-time and explain how the models dimple makes smaller objects orbit the central object. This would be an approximation, as two objects would actually orbit their center of mass. You can also use this to show how 'gravity'='space time dimple' can deflect light.

1. What is Astronomy Day and why is it celebrated?

Astronomy Day is an annual event that celebrates the science of astronomy and encourages public interest in the field. It is typically held in April or May and includes various activities such as stargazing, lectures, and demonstrations.

2. What are some suggestions for demos that can be done on Astronomy Day?

Some suggestions for demos could include setting up telescopes for stargazing, creating models of the solar system, demonstrating how to locate constellations in the night sky, and showcasing different types of astronomical equipment such as spectroscopes or star charts.

3. How can I engage younger audiences during Astronomy Day?

You can engage younger audiences by incorporating hands-on activities such as creating a scale model of the solar system using fruits or creating a moon phases chart using Oreos. You can also use interactive demonstrations or games to make learning about astronomy fun and engaging.

4. Are there any specific topics or themes that are typically highlighted on Astronomy Day?

While there are no specific themes for Astronomy Day, some common topics that are highlighted include the history and evolution of the universe, the search for extraterrestrial life, and the latest astronomical discoveries and advancements.

5. Is Astronomy Day only for students studying astronomy or can anyone participate?

Astronomy Day is open for anyone to participate, regardless of their level of knowledge or background in astronomy. It is a great opportunity for people of all ages to learn about and appreciate the wonders of the universe.