Can NMEA (GPS) Data Tracker Help Improve Signal Reception?

• Thread starter camerart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Gps
In summary, the device will be aimed according to either visual or previous knowledge, or in the case of animal tracking, it will be scanned around till a signal is received. The tracker need to be able to keep up with whatever it is tracking, some are faster than others, but the hardware will be built to cater for the calculation speed.
camerart
Hi,

I am making an NMEA (GPS) signal tracker. (NMEA data is sent from satellites, funcubes plus many more objects e,g, animal tracking) and will be used to aim it's antenna toward the signal for better reception. I assume that this is used for telescope aiming also.

The data includes location. Follow the link for information: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

What I am hoping for is a calculation between two of these points. 1/Tracker and 2/target. Is anyone willing to help me please?

Cheers, Camerart.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
HI
welcome to PF :smile:

I assume that this is used for telescope aiming also.

not directly in the aiming ... initially its more of a location of the telescope thing
My telescope is a "GOTO" scope. It has a GPS receiver in it and the scope computer uses that data and then the manual location of several bright stars and from that info the computer can locate any object in its database that is currently above the horizon
Pretty cool :)

What I am hoping for is a calculation between two of these points. 1/Tracker and 2/target. Is anyone willing to help me please?

not sure how to answer that, or if I even can ? do some more clarifying please
what 2 points ? are they both on earth? or is one of them the satellite ?

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks.

From what you say, your telescope has a GPS so that it can compare it's location with a database, for the aiming calculation.

I think the difference in what I want is, that the second location is received through an antenna and radio receiver. I need a program to calculate the two locations, to add to a PIC program, so it can tell the two motors which way to move. Very similar to yours.

Cheers, Camerart.

Yes, if you have two sets of lat/long coordinates, you can find the angle and length of a line between them with geometry. That's a basic component of navigation. Googling finds lots of online calculators for it, some that even include a cut-and-past math script to use yourself: http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Now, pointing the device is not a simple problem because it isn't necessarily easy to know the starting orientation of your device. Have you put any thought into that? How accurate does the pointing need to be?

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Yes, if you have two sets of lat/long coordinates, you can find the angle and length of a line between them with geometry. That's a basic component of navigation. Googling finds lots of online calculators for it, some that even include a cut-and-past math script to use yourself: http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Now, pointing the device is not a simple problem because it isn't necessarily easy to know the starting orientation of your device. Have you put any thought into that? How accurate does the pointing need to be?

Thanks for the link, but as you say it looks to me like two dimensional, I need three (Correct me if I've wrong)

I'm hoping for someone, who can do the calculations, for feedback as my project moves forward.

My device will be aimed according to either visual or previous knowledge, or in the case of animal tracking, it will be scanned around till a signal is received.

The tracker need to be able to keep up with whatever it is tracking, some are faster than others, but the hardware will be built to cater for the calculation speed.

Thanks, Camerart.

What is NMEA data and how is it related to GPS tracking?

NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) data is a standardized format used for communication between different GPS devices. GPS tracking devices use NMEA data to transmit location, speed, and other information to other devices.

How accurate is NMEA data for tracking a person or object?

The accuracy of NMEA data depends on the quality of the GPS device and the surrounding environment. In ideal conditions, NMEA data can provide accuracy within a few meters. However, factors such as signal interference and poor satellite coverage can affect the accuracy of the data.

What types of information can be tracked using NMEA data?

NMEA data can track a variety of information related to location and movement, such as latitude, longitude, speed, heading, altitude, and time. Some devices may also be able to track additional data, such as heart rate or temperature.

Can NMEA data be used for real-time tracking?

Yes, NMEA data can be used for real-time tracking as it is transmitted in a continuous stream. However, the accuracy and frequency of updates may vary depending on the device and conditions.

How is NMEA data used in navigation and mapping applications?

NMEA data is essential for navigation and mapping applications as it provides real-time location and movement data. This allows these applications to accurately display the user's current location and track their movements on a map in real-time.