Register to reply

0/0 DNE or undefined?

by negation
Tags: 0 or 0, undefined
Share this thread:
negation
Apr29-14, 04:46 AM
P: 819
What can we deduce about the lim g(x,y) as (x,y) -> (0,0)?
where g(x,y) = sin(x)/x+y

in substituiting, we get 0/0 so it has an indeterminate form which requires further work to ascertain if it is truly DNE or if it has a limit.
What I've been hearing too is that since it is 0/0 for the above function, the limit DNE. Which is which? Or are definitions being loosely used?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
pwsnafu
Apr29-14, 05:34 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 834
Is that ##\frac{\sin(x)}{x} + y## or ##\frac{\sin(x)}{x+y}##?
micromass
Apr29-14, 06:17 AM
Mentor
P: 18,331
Quote Quote by negation View Post
What can we deduce about the lim g(x,y) as (x,y) -> (0,0)?
where g(x,y) = sin(x)/x+y

in substituiting, we get 0/0 so it has an indeterminate form which requires further work to ascertain if it is truly DNE or if it has a limit.
That is correct.

What I've been hearing too is that since it is 0/0 for the above function, the limit DNE.
That is incorrect. Just because you get a "0/0"-situation doesn't mean the limit does not exist. It does mean that you need to do some more work to find out what the limit is and whether it actually does exist.

negation
Apr29-14, 06:43 AM
0/0 DNE or undefined?

Quote Quote by micromass View Post
That is correct.

That is incorrect. Just because you get a "0/0"-situation doesn't mean the limit does not exist. It does mean that you need to do some more work to find out what the limit is and whether it actually does exist.
Can I then presume a case of "loose" definition has been employed?

From my notes, it reads
" the limiting behaviour is path dependent so lim of the function g(x,y) as (x,y) ->0 does not exists.
negation
Apr29-14, 06:43 AM
Quote Quote by pwsnafu View Post
Is that ##\frac{\sin(x)}{x} + y## or ##\frac{\sin(x)}{x+y}##?
The former.

Edit: sorry, latter!

The former has a limit by performing l'hopital rule.
D H
Apr29-14, 09:10 AM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Quote Quote by negation View Post
From my notes, it reads
" the limiting behaviour is path dependent so lim of the function g(x,y) as (x,y) ->0 does not exists.
That is the correct definition. In this case, ##\frac{\sin x}{x+y}## takes on different values as (x,y)→0 depending on the path. For example, the limit is 1 along the line y=0, but it's 1/2 along the line y=x. The limit does not exist.

This can happen even in one dimension. What's the derivative of |x| at x=0?
negation
Apr29-14, 09:33 AM
Quote Quote by D H View Post
That is the correct definition. In this case, ##\frac{\sin x}{x+y}## takes on different values as (x,y)→0 depending on the path. For example, the limit is 1 along the line y=0, but it's 1/2 along the line y=x. The limit does not exist.

This can happen even in one dimension. What's the derivative of |x| at x=0?
It is differentiable everywhere except x=0.
D H
Apr29-14, 09:40 AM
Mentor
Precisely. The one-sided limits ##\lim_{h \to 0^+} \frac{|x+h| - |x|}{h}## and ##\lim_{h \to 0^-} \frac{|x+h| - |x|}{h}## exist at x=0 but differ from one another. Therefore the two-sided limit ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{|x+h| - |x|}{h}## doesn't exist at x=0.
negation
Apr29-14, 09:50 AM
Quote Quote by D H View Post
Precisely. The one-sided limits ##\lim_{h \to 0^+} \frac{|x+h| - |x|}{h}## and ##\lim_{h \to 0^-} \frac{|x+h| - |x|}{h}## exist at x=0 but differ from one another. Therefore the two-sided limit ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{|x+h| - |x|}{h}## doesn't exist at x=0.
I might be wrong. But intuitively, this appears to relate to the idea of continuity. From what you've stated, I gather that if both limit from the left f(x-) = f(x+) = f(x), then the graph is continuous.
D H
Apr29-14, 10:29 AM
Mentor
Continuity and limits go hand in hand. A function f(x) is continuous at some point x=a if
  • The function is defined at x=a (i.e., f(a) exists),
  • The limit of f(x) as x→a exists, and
  • These two quantities are equal to one another.

Register to reply