Srednicki 58: EM current conservation & Gauge Symmetry

In summary, the conversation discussed the Noether current and its conservation in relation to the fields being stationary. It was noted that the current is only conserved when the fields are stationary, but this issue can be resolved by defining the U(1) gauge transformation. However, there was confusion on how this solves the issue, and attempts were made to show that the EM current is always conserved with the gauge symmetry, but the results were trivial. The main point was to understand how the gauge symmetry leads to the conservation of the global U(1) current, but it was noted that Srednicki only shows the invariance of the Lagrangian, not the conservation of the current.
cedricyu803
Hi I am re-reading Srednicki's QFT.

In chapter 58,
he points out that the Noether current $$ j^\mu=e\bar{\Psi}\gamma^\mu\Psi$$ is only conserved when the fields are stationary, which is obvious from the derivation of the conservation law.
Meanwhile he assumes that $$\partial _\mu j^\mu=0$$ always holds in deriving the free photon propagator in ch. 56-57

However, he then suggests that "This issue can be resolved" by defining the U(1) gauge transformation.

But I don't see how this solves the issue.
I tried to use the gauge transformation in
$$\partial _\mu j^\mu (x)=\delta \mathcal{L}(x)-(\delta S/\delta\psi_a(x)) \delta\psi_a(x)$$
but I only got trivial result 0 = 0. (well the above equation is an identity so I don't expect otherwise.)

Can anyone tell me what precisely what Srednicki means here?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
cedricyu803 said:
Can anyone tell me what precisely what Srednicki means here?

You originally derived the conservation of current ∂μjμ= 0 from the equations of motion ∂μFμσ=jσ. The form that this current takes in terms of the Dirac fields ψ(x) was found by noting that the global U(1) transformations ψ(x)→e-ieΓψ(x), where Γ is a constant, leave the Lagrangian invariant.

The point he is making, is that when you do a path integral over Aμ, you are assuming this invariance is always satisfied. This is false, however, since the whole idea of what a path integral does is vary over all the possible paths of Aμ---the equations of motion are only satisfied for that path that minimizes the action (the classical path). The way you make up for this is by imposing local U(1) invariance ψ(x)→e-ieΓ(x)ψ(x), in other words promoting U(1) to a gauge symmetry. Then the Lagrangian remains invariant, regardless of whether or not the fields are configured according to the classical path.

cedricyu803 said:
However, he then suggests that "This issue can be resolved" by defining the U(1) gauge transformation.

But I don't see how this solves the issue.
I tried to use the gauge transformation in
$$\partial _\mu j^\mu (x)=\delta \mathcal{L}(x)-(\delta S/\delta\psi_a(x)) \delta\psi_a(x)$$
but I only got trivial result 0 = 0. (well the above equation is an identity so I don't expect otherwise.)

I'm not sure I follow what you are doing here, but maybe I can try to resolve it if you provide some more detail. It looks like you are trying to confirm the invariance of the Lagrangian under the local U(1) transformations, but Srednicki does this explicitly from equation (91) to equation (99).

jk86 said:
...The way you make up for this is by imposing local U(1) invariance ψ(x)→e-ieΓ(x)ψ(x), in other words promoting U(1) to a gauge symmetry. Then the Lagrangian remains invariant, regardless of whether or not the fields are configured according to the classical path.

I'm not sure I follow what you are doing here, but maybe I can try to resolve it if you provide some more detail. It looks like you are trying to confirm the invariance of the Lagrangian under the local U(1) transformations, but Srednicki does this explicitly from equation (91) to equation (99).

Thanks for your reply.

I understand what Srednicki meant. And my understanding is that gauging the U(1) makes the global EM U(1) current always conserved.

What I wanted to show explicitly is $$\partial _\mu j^\mu=0$$ for the EM current (global U(1))

So I will need to make use of $$\partial _\mu j^\mu (x)=\delta \mathcal{L}(x)-(\delta S/\delta\psi_a(x)) \delta\psi_a(x)$$
If I set the field variation to be the infinitesimal global U(1) transformation, then it is what Srednicki said: "the equations of motion are only satisfied for that path that minimizes the action"

If I set the field variation to be the infinitesimal local U(1) transformation, then the above equation (yes j_mu becomes the gauge current not the EM current of course) gives trivial result "0 = 0" even if I make use of $$\delta \mathcal{L}(x) = 0$$.

To recapitulate, the statement is "imposing the U(1) gauge symmetry to the lagrangian--> the global U(1) current always conserved whether the fields obey the classical eom".

But Srenicki only shows that the lagrangian is invariant.

I don't understand explicitly how this leads to $$\partial _\mu j^\mu_{global/EM}=0$$

1. What is Srednicki 58 and why is it important in physics?

Srednicki 58 refers to a paper published by physicist Mark Srednicki in 1988, titled "Electromagnetic Current Conservation and Gauge Symmetry." This paper is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical proof of the conservation of electric charge and the role of gauge symmetry in electromagnetism, two fundamental principles in physics.

2. What is the concept of gauge symmetry?

Gauge symmetry refers to a mathematical symmetry that describes the relationship between different physical quantities in a physical system. In the context of Srednicki 58, gauge symmetry describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how these fields are affected by changes in the gauge, or reference frame, of the system.

3. How does Srednicki 58 relate to current conservation?

In Srednicki 58, the author presents a proof that the conservation of electric charge is a direct consequence of gauge symmetry. This means that the amount of electric charge in a closed system remains constant, regardless of changes in the electric and magnetic fields within the system. This is known as current conservation.

4. What does Srednicki 58 tell us about the nature of electromagnetic forces?

Srednicki 58 provides a mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental nature of electromagnetic forces. It shows that the conservation of electric charge and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields are intimately connected, and that these forces are governed by the principles of gauge symmetry.

5. How does Srednicki 58 impact current research and future developments in physics?

Srednicki 58 is a foundational paper in the field of theoretical physics, and it continues to be referenced and built upon in current research. Its proof of current conservation and the role of gauge symmetry has implications for a wide range of physical phenomena, and it has helped shape our understanding of fundamental forces and particles in the universe.