Why Do Different Prime Number Variations Occur in Equal Frequencies?

• Thread starter Bob3141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the program generated a billion primes and scanned through them for twin, cousin, and sexy primes. The counts for twin and cousin primes were almost the same, while there were twice as many sexy primes. This follows from the first Hardy-Littlewood conjecture, which has not yet been proven. The program takes time to find primes with other differences, and it is unclear if this behavior is due to statistical variations or a specific reason.
Bob3141592
As a programming exercise I wrote a program to generate primes. First I generated a billion of them (the one billionth prime is 22,801,763,489). My program also scans through these numbers for Twin primes (adjacent primes that differ by two), cousin primes (adjacent primes that differ by four) and sexy primes (primes that differ by six and don't have to be adjacent). There are 58,047,180 twin primes among the first billion, and 58,040,263 cousin primes in that same range. Almost the same number. I supposed that that count would hold no matter what the difference between the primes was, so I was surprised to see 116,076,313 sexy primes, almost exactly twice the previous counts. I extended the program to look for other differences, and found 58,044,163 primes that differ by 8, very similar to the count of twins and cousins. But then there were 77,387,551 primes that differ by 10, and 116,089,533 primes that differ by 12, very similar to the sexy count.

I'll be looking for primes with other differences, but the program takes its time.

Is there a reason for this behavior, or is it just statistical variations?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bob3141592 said:
There are 58,047,180 twin primes among the first billion, and 58,040,263 cousin primes in that same range.

This is already a known conjecture. But it has not yet been proven that it always holds. It follows from the first Hardy-Littlewood conjecture: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/k-TupleConjecture.html
The rest of your numbers also follow from it.

Last edited:
Bob3141592 said:
As a programming exercise I wrote a program to generate primes. First I generated a billion of them (the one billionth prime is 22,801,763,489). My program also scans through these numbers for Twin primes (adjacent primes that differ by two), cousin primes (adjacent primes that differ by four) and sexy primes (primes that differ by six and don't have to be adjacent). There are 58,047,180 twin primes among the first billion, and 58,040,263 cousin primes in that same range. Almost the same number. I supposed that that count would hold no matter what the difference between the primes was
Why would you suppose that? It would seem reasonable to me that, since the larger [itex]x_1[/itex] is the more primes there are to be divisors of numbers, the larger [itex]x_1[/itex] is, the fewer primes there would be between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] for a fixed [itex]x_2- x_1[/itex].

, so I was surprised to see 116,076,313 sexy primes, almost exactly twice the previous counts. I extended the program to look for other differences, and found 58,044,163 primes that differ by 8, very similar to the count of twins and cousins. But then there were 77,387,551 primes that differ by 10, and 116,089,533 primes that differ by 12, very similar to the sexy count.

I'll be looking for primes with other differences, but the program takes its time.

Is there a reason for this behavior, or is it just statistical variations?

1. What are twin primes?

Twin primes are a pair of prime numbers that are only two numbers apart. For example, 41 and 43 are twin primes since there are no other prime numbers between them.

2. How many twin primes are there?

The number of twin primes is infinite, but it is not known exactly how many pairs exist. It is a famous unsolved mathematical problem known as the "Twin Prime Conjecture".

3. Are there any other types of prime pairs?

Yes, there are other types of prime pairs besides twin primes. Some examples include cousin primes (p and p+4) and sexy primes (p and p+6).

4. What is the largest known twin prime?

As of 2021, the largest known twin prime is (3756801695685 · 2^666669 ± 1) which has 200700 digits, discovered in January 2021 by a team of mathematicians using a distributed computing project called PrimeGrid.

5. Why are twin primes important?

Twin primes are important in number theory and have been studied for centuries. They are also used in cryptography and encryption algorithms. Studying twin primes can also provide insights into the distribution of prime numbers and help solve other unsolved mathematical problems.