/insert catchy Old guy wants to go back to school title here

• Thread starter s1rGr1nG0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, an older man working as a contractor in Kuwait is planning to go back to school for his AS and BS degrees in a natural science field. He has a family and will have to work full-time while taking a few classes each semester. He is considering a career change from IT to a science-related field and is worried about the challenges of being an older student. He is also exploring options such as tuition reimbursement and entry-level lab jobs. His wife is planning to support the family financially by getting her real estate license. The man acknowledges that the transition will be difficult, but he is determined to pursue his passion for science.
s1rGr1nG0
/insert catchy "Old guy wants to go back to school" title here

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Hello everyone! I am a contractor working in Kuwait. I have been here since January of 2004. Prior to that i was working in the IT industry on a helpdesk for a large oil/energy company, (until the bastards outsourced my job to India). Anyway, when my contract is up in June I will be going back to the states and also back to school. I am about 15 hours from an AS degree and once that's out of the way I will transfer to a 4 year school to get my BS. Of course I will have to work full time while doing all this and I probably will not be able to go to school full time, (probably only a couple or three classes per semester). I'm getting out of IT and will probably major in a natural science like Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, or Microbiology. I know I have a very long road ahead of me but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Am I insane for even thinking I can cut it in a class full of people who are probably half my age? I just turned 38 last week, I'm married, and I have a 6 year old daughter. This contracting gig pays VERY well and it's all tax free but I miss my family and, to be honest, I'm tired of being in the middle east. It's not about the money anymore. When I do go home I know I HAVE to do something because if not then I will be stuck in the same crappy, dead end type job I had before. I'm not looking to get rich, (although that would be nice), but I am looking for something with room to grow and also to do something that I have always enjoyed but never pursued, (science).

Should I forget all this and just flip burgers and hope to become Asst. Manager one day?

What say you?

ETA: I will be taking to Distance Ed courses this Spring. (Sociology and Early American Lit) I'm just about done with my "core" and will then have a lot of catching up to do with my math and basic science before moving on.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's unrealistic at all, but it's going to be hard to do this and support a family at the same time. I went back to school after a couple of years, but that was at 22, not 38, and I was only supporting myself. My ex-girlfriend's mother went back and got an accounting degree (and graduated with a 3.9 GPA) in her 40s, but she was receiving large alimony and child-support payments. Your wife might have to pick up some of the slack, because realistically, it's a lot easier for one member of a couple to return to school if the other is supporting him. On the other hand, if you're studying in a subject that will help you advance in a field you already work, you can probably get your tuition reimbursed by your company. If I were you, and my wife was not making enough to support me, that is probably the first thing I would try to do. What are you getting your AS in? If it's in Chemistry or something like that, there are plenty of entry-level jobs you could get with just that degree (especially civic jobs) that might be able to pay for the rest of your BS.

My AS will be chemistry, (or Bio if I go that route). When I do go home I will probably look for some help desk type job again just to pay the bills while I go to school. My wife is about to get her real estate license so she will be helping out on that front. Since I have been in Kuwait she hasn't been working so she could be there to do all the "mom" things that our 6 year old needs. I also thought about tuition reimbursement but since I will be going after a natural science degree I doubt any company would go for it since I would probably be doing IT work. I think what I will do, like you said, is get some entry level lab type job after I get my AS and then keep working toward my BS. Actually, what I'm hoping for is that my wife will do well enough in real estate that I can not work and just go to school full time but I know that will be a stretch especially since she is just getting into the field.

Well, it sounds like you'll be able to do it. The biggest difficulty might simply be adjusting to a lower income, assuming your wife doesn't light the world on fire as soon as she is licensed and practicing. Is the six-year old your only kid? Oftentimes, it's even more difficult for the kids to adjust, after being used to a certain level of spending, but it should be easier for someone that young.

Nope, the 6 year old is our only one. She's also not a high maintenance kid. She will adjust to the lower income A LOT easier than me or my wife! LOL

I know it will be hard going from about $70k tax free to about $35k-ish NOT tax free. My wife working, though, will be a huge help. The only thing I'm really worried about is the time it will take to graduate. I have a lot of math and science that I have to catch up on since those are the 2 areas that I am really lacking and also the 2 most important in the degree I am choosing. I made some horrible decisions when I first started college waaay back in the day. Could never decide what I wanted to do, had no motivation, and ended up dropping out. Now I am realizing the error of my ways and having to scramble to catch up. As it stands right now I figure I'm looking at about 4 years before I get my BS, minimum, and that is with me currently having about 40-ish credits.

Geez, when I look at it that way it seems so far off! :frown:

I'm in a similar situation (older, long IT career, hosed by outsourcing, thinking about going for an AS/BS in EE or EET) - except unemployed.
Tell me about the prospects re IT jobs in Kuwait.
thx

There are IT jobs here. You can go to Halliburton.com to find some. There are also a lot of other contracting companies here you just have to look for them.

s1rGr1nG0 said:
Am I insane for even thinking I can cut it in a class full of people who are probably half my age? I just turned 38 last week, I'm married, and I have a 6 year old daughter.
You are totally insane. But you are by no means alone in that... I'm a little older than you, and my son is older than your daughter... and I'm hoping to go back to school in a year or two.
Sanity is overrated.

What is "/insert catchy Old guy wants to go back to school title here" about?

"/insert catchy Old guy wants to go back to school title here" is a popular phrase that refers to an older person who wants to return to school to further their education or pursue a new career path.

Why would an older person want to go back to school?

There are many reasons why an older person may want to go back to school, such as personal fulfillment, career advancement, or to gain new skills and knowledge.

Is it common for older people to go back to school?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for older individuals to pursue higher education. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, over 8 million students aged 25 and older were enrolled in college in 2018.

What challenges do older students face when returning to school?

Older students may face challenges such as juggling work and family responsibilities while attending school, adapting to new technology and teaching methods, and feeling out of place in a younger student body.

What are the benefits of an older person going back to school?

Some potential benefits of an older person going back to school include expanding their knowledge and skills, increasing job opportunities and earning potential, and setting a positive example for their peers and future generations.