Do Bowling Balls and Cue Balls Roll at the Same Speed Down an Incline?

In summary, the optimal weight for a bowling ball varies for each individual depending on their strength and playing style, with the most commonly used weight for adults being between 14-16 pounds. When choosing the right bowling ball, it is important to consider your skill level and playing style. Beginners may prefer a plastic or polyester coverstock for a straighter roll, while more experienced players may opt for a reactive resin coverstock for increased hook potential. The layout and drilling of a bowling ball can greatly impact its performance, with the positioning of finger holes and the drilling process both playing a role. It is recommended to have your bowling ball professionally cleaned and resurfaced every 60-100 games, as well as regularly cleaning it after each use.
formulajoe
a bowling ball is racing a cue ball down a 30* incline. the incline is 2 m long. what is the translational speed of each ball at the bottom.
wouldnt i need a radius of each ball to be able to find the translational speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
the reply is in general physics board and in this board.
by the way, shrek said she loves you

the velocity could be independent of the radius

Originally posted by formulajoe

wouldnt i need a radius of each ball to be able to find the translational speed?
Why don't you try solving it and find out? :smile:

1. What is the optimal weight for a bowling ball?

The optimal weight for a bowling ball varies for each individual depending on their strength and playing style. Generally, the most commonly used weight for adults is between 14-16 pounds.

2. How do I choose the right bowling ball for my skill level?

Choosing the right bowling ball depends on your skill level and playing style. For beginners, a ball with a plastic or polyester coverstock is recommended as it provides a straighter roll. More experienced players may prefer a reactive resin coverstock for increased hook potential.

3. Can the layout or drilling of a bowling ball affect its performance?

Yes, the layout and drilling of a bowling ball can greatly impact its performance. The layout refers to the positioning of the finger holes on the ball and can affect the ball's hook potential and overall motion on the lane. The drilling, done by a professional, can also alter the ball's reaction on the lane.

4. How often should I have my bowling ball professionally cleaned and resurfaced?

It is recommended to have your bowling ball professionally cleaned and resurfaced every 60-100 games. This will help maintain its performance and prolong its lifespan. Additionally, regular cleaning after each use is also important to remove oil and dirt buildup.

5. Why does my bowling ball sometimes hook too much or too little?

The amount of hook on a bowling ball can be affected by various factors such as lane conditions, oil patterns, and the ball's surface. Too much hook can be due to a highly reactive coverstock or incorrect drilling. Too little hook can be a result of a plastic coverstock or insufficient oil on the lane. Adjusting your technique and ball selection can also help achieve the desired amount of hook.