Living the Dream: Diehard Jobs Around the World

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the conversation revolves around a video of a squirrel trying to get a pecan from a nutcracker while the "Pink Panther" theme song plays in the background. Some users comment on the choice of music and suggest using the James Bond theme instead, while others find it cruel for the squirrel. One user shares a strange experience with the music playing through their intercom.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What a way to make a living!

http://www.wimp.com/diehard/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The music was all wrong. It should have been the James Bond theme, not "Pink Panther".

Not even a hint of desparation about him. Forget those walnuts and acorns - there's got to be another pecan in here somewhere. :rofl:

Whoever set that up and shot it is cruel :grumpy:

It's certainly not cruel for the squirrel, if that's what you meant. Maybe cruel for the cat.

Weird; it seems that the dominant frequencies of the brass in the PP music were the same as the dominant resonant frequencies of the speaking in my intercom. The intercom was playing the music sympathetically and almost as loud as the computer. I've never seen that happen in seven years.

1. What is "Living the Dream: Diehard Jobs Around the World"?

"Living the Dream: Diehard Jobs Around the World" is a book that explores some of the most unique and challenging jobs around the world. It delves into the lives of individuals who have chosen to pursue these jobs and the experiences they have encountered along the way.

2. What inspired you to write this book?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by different cultures and ways of life. I wanted to shed light on some of the lesser-known jobs that exist in various parts of the world and the people who do them. I believe their stories are not only interesting, but also provide valuable insights into different ways of living and working.

3. Can you give some examples of the "diehard" jobs featured in the book?

Some of the jobs featured in the book include working as a crab fisherman in Alaska, a snake milker in India, a deep-sea diver in Australia, a mountaineering guide in Nepal, and a volcano climber in Indonesia. These are just a few of the many unique and challenging jobs covered in the book.

4. What challenges do people face when pursuing these jobs?

The challenges vary depending on the job and the location, but some common themes include physical demands, extreme weather conditions, cultural differences, and isolation from family and friends. However, many of the individuals who do these jobs also find great fulfillment and satisfaction in their work.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from this book?

I hope that readers will gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for the diversity of jobs and cultures around the world. I also hope that the stories shared in the book will inspire readers to pursue their own passions and consider alternative career paths, even if they may seem unconventional or challenging.